Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning Out

Default Spinning Out

Seen this mentioned a few times and it got me thinking about how it could be replicated in WoW.
    Now some folks don't like people dropping out of a game because of an illegal move on their part ie two consecutive steep moves, so how about spinning them out & giving them a chance to recover?

Basically you choose the direction they will spin based on their direction of travel; take a long curve card and lay it sideways across the front of the aircraft base (or card) then move the plane onto the arrowhead as usual. The offender must play a minimum of three cards & will have dropped a level of altitude before having a chance to pull out.

To do so I will make them draw from the A damage deck (you may enjoy some other mechanism); if they draw a 0 card they pull out of the spin, anything else they take the damage drawn (but not special damage unless a critical damage card) and go round and down again for another three cards. Their plane will either fold, they will hit the ground or they will pull out it's that simple.
    Anyway - have a look at this album and see if there's something you can use.

Love it, hate it, ignore it, use it, adjust it as you will.......
    Last edited by flash; 03-18-2013 at 08:41. Reason: Update Link to Album

"He is wise who watches"

I love it. What a simple solution. It also means that if in extremisis you can do a deliberate illegal move to seeif you can escape by spinning out, just as many experienced pilots did. Ace status could help you by adding a one card to the ability to recover.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Ahh - the above spin is for the loss of control after an illegal move...
    Now if you want to see the deliberate tail spin as a manoeuvre have a look here:

Yeah, OK I was bored the afternoon - but I had shot down 2 camels this morning with my 2 new Pfalz D.III !
    Last edited by flash; 03-18-2013 at 08:43.

"He is wise who watches"

We don't use the rule which eliminates a plane for an illegal manouver, we feel its too draconian. Instead, we make the plane fly stright and level for the round with no firing.

Pooh

Dave, this seems a great idea to me and looks like it will be fun also. Cheers Aled

Users Country Flag

Name
    Keith Todd
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post
    We don't use the rule which eliminates a plane for an illegal manouver, we feel its too draconian. Instead, we make the plane fly stright and level for the round with no firing.

Pooh
    This is the same for our group.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Pooh View Post

Pooh
    This is what we have always done too...however I like this idea just to spice things up without causing a whole lot of headaches...Those of us not using altitude can just allow 3 maneuvers to recover or crash. besides it sounds wonderfully entertaining to watch!

I like it Dave. My wife and I just ran into this situation tonight and up till now we have always allowed the illegal maneuver but the offender must draw from the C damage deck.

We will give the spin out a try, the next time we run into this situation.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

Must say that this wonderful idea is being added to my own house rules. What a great idea! The only addition I can see is once a spinning aircraft recovers, the first maneuver must be either a simple straight or dive card with 2nd and 3rd cards as normal.
    Last edited by Horse4261; 10-14-2010 at 16:45.

What a cracking little idea. I'll be trying that one out asap.

Tried this in our group at the weekend - everyone thought it was a great house rule, so we are adopting it!

Thanks for a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse4261 View Post
    ...once a spinning aircraft recovers, the first maneuver must be either a simple straight or dive card with 2nd and 3rd cards as normal.
    This is a good idea also, to simulate recovery from disorientation and of the airplane itself.

Definitely going to add that house rule for future games, with Troy's addition. Fantastic stuff .

Name
    Don
    Sorties Flown

Se5A pilots watch out! That 90 degree is a diamond and if you stall, whether you have to with engine damage or not, you just spun pal!
    Might be fun to watch but I doubt if it would show up much in out league Charlie, Not because we are so good but because we usually do legal moves, just the wrong direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post
    ...I doubt if it would show up much in out league Charlie, Not because we are so good but because we usually do legal moves, just the wrong direction!
    The likely reason for not performing illegal moves is that just when you think no one is paying attention, everyone at the table says "you can't do that" and wants to help you straighten things out. AND it is not the "Wrong Way" it's just a "Tactical Adjustment"

It's a great idea to use for illegal moves but one could use it for the explosion card as well. That would be for those who hate the boom card at least. Just another thought.

Here's how we play:

If an illegal card is played, the plane looses a level as it goes into a spin; the pilot has a chance to recover. He rolls 1 or a 6 on a D 6 to recover. If he does, he rolls a d12 to determine which way he is facing, replaces the illegal move with a streight, and cannot fire. If he does not recover, he looses another level, and repeats the process, until he recovers, or runs out of altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffvantye View Post
    Here's how we play:

If an illegal card is played, the plane looses a level as it goes into a spin; the pilot has a chance to recover. He rolls 1 or a 6 on a D 6 to recover. If he does, he rolls a d12 to determine which way he is facing, replaces the illegal move with a streight, and cannot fire. If he does not recover, he looses another level, and repeats the process, until he recovers, or runs out of altitude.
    That sounds like a fun way to do it. So do you have any good story's to tell of anyone's spin outs?

Saw this mentioned in another thread and had to find it.

What a great idea Dave, and it sounds like it would add a lot of drama to the action as everyone watches the offender spin earthward.
    Last edited by Bartman; 04-09-2011 at 07:32.

This is what I'm showing to my friends in Ada. Great photos, thanks Flash.

Spin out diagram: When you go into a spin the pilot rolls 1 6d on a 1,2 or 3 he comes out of the spin in that many spin cards on a 4,5 or 6 he/she is still in a spin and does 3 spin cards. Then on the next turn re-roll the 6d and repeat. While a pilot is in a spin he/she can't fire their guns. This means that any spin card used the pilot can't shoot till a regular flight card is used.

Tom

bilco50

super idea, will try it next time

Tom, that picture is great!

Good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman View Post
    Tom, that picture is great!

Good work!
    Thanks Bart. The photo is from Flash, here's a link. I just put my own rules to it. Joint effort but it's Flash's brainstorm.

Thanks again Bart.
    Tom

Looks like we have a winner here chaps. I have included it in my house rules, and just await the chance to implement it.
    Rob.

I think I posted before that I really like this simple effect. Especially since it was also used as a tactic that those of you using altitude can use! And it is FUN!

Going to try out both the spinning out penalty and the tail spin in our groups coming game. They look fantastic!

Now what we need is someone to do a diagram of each the tail-spin and the spin-out for the File section under house rules. Hint...hint .

Tom

I like it - definitely going to give it a try!
    Not that I have ever made an the mistake of an illegal move...

As for the photos, they look great - but if the plane had been on a gimbal too...just think about it!

Hunter's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Terry
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Niclas View Post
    I like it - definitely going to give it a try!
    Not that I have ever made an the mistake of an illegal move...

As for the photos, they look great - but if the plane had been on a gimbal too...just think about it!
    LOL Same here!

Glad you liked it chaps - I have gimbals now ... I will re-do the pics sometime as I cannot re-order the current ones for some reason.

"He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tapani
    Sorties Flown

Hi Dave!

Very nice idea, must try that next time.

I've been thinking that when drawing a special damage token the spin would change direction, adding an extra level of chaos.

Those who prefer dice I suggest using following result:
    1-2: no recovery,
    3-5: successfull recovery
    6: no recovery and change of spinn direction.

Happy hunting

The thing that really seems great about the OP solution was that you can do it without any extra "stuff." As I've come to approach the game dice are a no-no unless they're tracking altitude gain on the base. Rolling dice for effects seems more than I'm willing to handle any more. heh. I was very hot on "how bad can 1 die laying around be" for quite a while though. So I may waffle back into that camp.

What Rob said early on though is perfect. You could initiate this "maneuver" to get out of someone's grasp as was the practice with many pilots to "play dead."

Quote Originally Posted by sparty View Post
    The thing that really seems great about the OP solution was that you can do it without any extra "stuff." As I've come to approach the game dice are a no-no unless they're tracking altitude gain on the base. Rolling dice for effects seems more than I'm willing to handle any more. heh. I was very hot on "how bad can 1 die laying around be" for quite a while though. So I may waffle back into that camp.

What Rob said early on though is perfect. You could initiate this "maneuver" to get out of someone's grasp as was the practice with many pilots to "play dead."
    I even thought that if you had gone to the Grim Reaper by drawing the big bang card or just hitting your card damage limit, instead of announcing your demise you could spin on down into the ground. This may draw the opponents machine after you, still shooting and wasting both altitude and ammo if playing the limited ammo option. Many pilots, including the master himself, made this mistake, often fatally. At least it might take a machine out of play until it could climb back up to height, by which time the game may have swung the other way.
    Also an aircraft that was low on points and decided to run for the lines could use the trick and hopefully draw off one of the enemy planes.
    Just a thought.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I even thought that if you had gone to the Grim Reaper by drawing the big bang card or just hitting your card damage limit, instead of announcing your demise you could spin on down into the ground. This may draw the opponents machine after you, still shooting and wasting both altitude and ammo if playing the limited ammo option. Many pilots, including the master himself, made this mistake, often fatally. At least it might take a machine out of play until it could climb back up to height, by which time the game may have swung the other way.
    Also an aircraft that was low on points and decided to run for the lines could use the trick and hopefully draw off one of the enemy planes.
    Just a thought.
    Rob.
    Great idea Rob. Love it.

Nice touch Rob - though I'd have to say the 'victim' shouldn't draw a card (or roll a die) to try to get out of it - then that would be the tip that all is not well !

"He is wise who watches"

Already came up with rules for this.
    Look at this thread
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...r-more-Realism

i rly like the spin rule but i think the illegal one should also be the dilliberate one because in real life they both looked the same to the shooter.

Dave, I really love your idea for both spins. What does your group use to get out of the illegal move spin and the tail spin and also the recovery cards once you are out?

Cheers,
    Michael

Hi Michael, I draw from the A damage deck (you may enjoy some other mechanism); if they draw a 0 card they pull out of the spin, anything else they take the damage drawn (but not special damage unless a critical damage card ie the boom card! ). Recovery is written up in the album: I use a straight card in whatever direction he's facing - this is to represents the pilot pulling himself together, checking the controls, where he is & counting his luck !

I haven't had (much of) a problem w/ illegal move in the solo games I've played thus far. But when I do slip up going forward, I'm doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    To do so I will make them draw from the A damage deck (you may enjoy some other mechanism); if they draw a 0 card they pull out of the spin, anything else they take the damage drawn (but not special damage unless a critical damage card) and go round and down again for another three cards. Their plane will either fold, they will hit the ground or they will pull out it's that simple. [/url]

Love it, hate it, ignore it, use it, adjust it as you will.......
    I liked it... I will adjust it this way:
    illegal movement loose one altitude. Draws an A DD Card per maneuver. If 0, pulls out of spin... anything else, do not takes any damage, but keeps spinning/loosing altitude peg (card is re-shuffled)... spins continues (1 x maneuver) until the plane either draws a 0 or hits the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    I haven't had (much of) a problem w/ illegal move in the solo games I've played thus far. But when I do slip up going forward, I'm doing this.
    This is cool. Is there a cheat sheet to have as a hand out for game days?

Real cool idea will be making this part of the house rules espcially now that i have some bearing mounts to make the plane look the part

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    This is cool. Is there a cheat sheet to have as a hand out for game days?
    Only this in the files section Cappy - it has all sorts of moves on it but it's a Word doc so you can play about with it as you wish.
    Last edited by flash; 09-20-2014 at 09:50. Reason: New Link

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Only this in the files section Cappy - it has all sorts of moves on it but it's a Word doc so you can play about with it as you wish.
    Thanks I'll use it. What is an "Immelmann (downward); Climb" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by CappyTom View Post
    Thanks I'll use it. What is an "Immelmann (downward); Climb" mean?
    That instead of climbing up & doing the 1/2 roll the plane does the 1/2 roll turn on the dive that occurs after the stall.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonSylver View Post
    That instead of climbing up & doing the 1/2 roll the plane does the 1/2 roll turn on the dive that occurs after the stall.
    Thanks Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Warren
    Sorties Flown

Exactly what we folks who were playing a few weeks ago were looking for. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Spinning as house rules
    By Druid_ian in forum WGF: House Rules
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-31-2023, 03:08