Ares Games

Thread: Possibly the shortest game ever.

Default Possibly the shortest game ever.

.... The names of the participants are hidden to protect the guilty ....

.... Setting myself and ****** laid out the table and mat. Placing our starting planes, mine an Albatros D.II & a D.III, *****'s a Nieuport 17 and a Spad VII.
    .... The first manuevers were pretty much as predicted, flying fast and straight at the enemy to shorten the distance. The Spad feathering it's engine slightly to keep in step with the Nieuport.

.... Second turn both German planes roll left to set up to break either direction, the French Spad for some reason decides to turn in to the Neiport colliding with his colleague.
    .... Both Germans break right to avoid the French fighting over who wants to be where in the sky. The French both flying forward now, the Spad at an angle to the fight.
    .... Which then brought the Spad in to a collision with the Albatros D.III, obviously this frenchman didn't know where his gun switches were, and was just flying like a bull in a china shop.

.... As we both drew from the double C deck, I flipped the explosion card on the table in discust. A few seconds later, ***** did the same. We had managed to draw both from the deck in one moment.

.... At this point we gave up on that game, and decided to work out the Shapeways order we were forming.

.... The names of the participants are hidden to protect the guilty ....

Sorry no pictures for this one, I don't want to embarrass him. Also I forgot my camera!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

That is a short game - 2 Turns and both players knocked out together.

I have had one like that playing WGS on a 90 cm x 90 cm custom gaming mat! When I mentioned what had taken place on here nobody else responded to say record beaten. I think there was one response which mentioned another 2 Turn knockout which sounded very similar to this one. Most likely place this all gets mentioned in is It Shouldn't Happen To A Glory Player ... Which is in the Officers' Club.

We should start naming these Two Turn Wonders ...

It can happen to the best of us Steve. I remember about five years ago some chaps at a club that shall remain nameless putting on a big game for us in a way of demonstrating WoW and their prowess at it. Quite smugly the GM said 'you can tell who knows what they are doing as they are now climbing' as he and his oppo headed upstairs. The next turn they turned towards each other and promptly collided - both survived but with reasonably heavy damage until the next turn when one turned across the path of the other and they collided again ! The GM went down at that point, his oppo was taken out on the next turn when someone put him out of his misery. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Send Steve my best...doh !

"He is wise who watches"

One of my first WOG games was a one on one duel. A friend and I flew in circles for a turn or two until we both turned in to exchange fire. I shot him and he drew a zero while I got the BOOM! I loved for weeks he would crow how great a pilot he was.

I had a Zeppelin once and then a Bristol happened.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I remember about five years ago some chaps at a club that shall remain nameless putting on a big game for us in a way of demonstrating WoW and their prowess at it. Quite smugly the GM said 'you can tell who knows what they are doing as they are now climbing' as he and his oppo headed upstairs. The next turn they turned towards each other and promptly collided - both survived but with reasonably heavy damage until the next turn when one turned across the path of the other and they collided again ! The GM went down at that point, his oppo was taken out on the next turn when someone put him out of his misery.
    = BAD KARMA ...

This is why whatever I do I never big things up! The game is a constant learning environment IMHO so if you do happen to think you know it all expect pride to come before a fall: Which is usually (to quote Billy Connolly) on your arse in the middle of the rodeo ... Or according to Dennis Norden you hit the nail with the hammer squarely on the thumb!

OR: There is always the scene from the film Operation Petticoat with 'Sighted tanker. Sunk truck!'

I well remember a game where my wingman (name redacted) flying two SE5a's managed to collide with himself on the second move losing both aircraft without coming anywhere near the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    It can happen to the best of us Steve. I remember about five years ago some chaps at a club that shall remain nameless putting on a big game for us in a way of demonstrating WoW and their prowess at it. Quite smugly the GM said 'you can tell who knows what they are doing as they are now climbing' as he and his oppo headed upstairs. The next turn they turned towards each other and promptly collided - both survived but with reasonably heavy damage until the next turn when one turned across the path of the other and they collided again ! The GM went down at that point, his oppo was taken out on the next turn when someone put him out of his misery. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Send Steve my best...doh !
    sounds like karma won that night!

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I well remember a game where my wingman (name redacted) flying two SE5a's managed to collide with himself on the second move losing both aircraft without coming anywhere near the enemy.
    wow. just wow.

That's priceless !

"He is wise who watches"

I think that tops our match, and SE5a's are such lovely kites.

LOOP

I got shot down flying a Gotha on the second card turn one - BOOM.
    My son still mock me for that one

I wonder if we should factor getting hit by artillery into our game? I believe some planes simply vanished when a heavy arty shell took them out by accident.

http://www.c-7acaribou.com/album/photos/photo02.htm

We do Gary.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    I had a Zeppelin once and then a Bristol happened.
    Rob.
    That sounds interesting Rob - pray tell what happened next?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    That sounds interesting Rob - pray tell what happened next?
    Very amusing Squadron Commander.
    Kyte.

Similar Missions

1. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22
  2. Aircraft I would like to see, possibly in series 6/7
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 08:29
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-26-2013, 14:53
  4. Just possibly the best job in the world!
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-21-2012, 02:57
  5. A possibly odd question about Austrian Aces
    By Wolfbiter in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 10:37