Ares Games

Thread: Attaching Shapeway models to pegs. How do you do it?

Default Attaching Shapeway models to pegs. How do you do it?

I did 4 Shapeway models and I'm to the point of attaching them to the pegs and I have no clue what is the best way to do it. Any ideas?

I use plastic pegs made out of used sprues (Zvezda 1/200 plane sprues are very good for this). I make a hole in the plane, I thin the peg stick to fit well to the Ares pegs and I superglue them to the planes.

I've seen that some have ordered these specially-made pegs from Shapeways, and glued them to the bottom of the planes.

thanks for the input, never thought to look for pegs on shapeway.
    thanks.
    John

I take standard WOG pegs, and saw off the male end leaving just a sliver of the barrel attached, and then glue that to the bottom of the model.

I use rare earth magnets, one on the bottom of the plane, another on a special fit flight stand peg. I have a dozen or so made up like that

Quote Originally Posted by jwclere View Post
    thanks for the input, never thought to look for pegs on shapeway.
    thanks.
    John
    If it helps, I have these fuselage pegs available on Shapeways in both fighter and bomber sizes:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fuselage pegs (scout) x5.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	181849
    Fighter size x5
    Fighter size x15

Name:	Fuselage pegs (bomber) x5 v0.2.jpg 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	181850
    Bomber size x5
    Bomber size x15

Personally, I've also fallen for the attraction (pun wholly intended) of the bearing & neodymium magnet attachments, thus:

Name:	scout tip 1.jpg 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	181851
    Last edited by Prodromoi; 11-22-2015 at 13:25. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    I use rare earth magnets, one on the bottom of the plane, another on a special fit flight stand peg. I have a dozen or so made up like that
    I do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    I do the same.
    I've used both methods but it depends on the weight of the model. Gimble mounts on most Skytrex Red Eagle models do not work as they are quite heavy whereas on the Veszda JU88 and Blenhiem they do very well.
    I currently have my first Shapeways models in progress. Four Nieuport 17 and two DR.1 to which I will fit Gimble mounts as the models are very light.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    I've seen that some have ordered these specially-made pegs from Shapeways, and glued them to the bottom of the planes.
    I use them. They work very well.

I take standard WOG pegs, and saw off the male end leaving just a sliver of the barrel attached, and then glue that to the bottom of the model.

Tried this and the peg didn't hold to the bottom after a few times of in and out with another peg. Bummer....

On the metal balls, I see the balls for sale here, but where do you get the piece that goes on the peg?

I did use a whole peg and that works, but I'd like for the plane to be able to sit on its wheels when not in use.

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Пилот View Post
    I do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I've used both methods but it depends on the weight of the model. Gimble mounts on most Skytrex Red Eagle models do not work as they are quite heavy whereas on the Veszda JU88 and Blenhiem they do very well.
    I currently have my first Shapeways models in progress. Four Nieuport 17 and two DR.1 to which I will fit Gimble mounts as the models are very light.
    And I misread David's post... Sorry!
    I mostly use gimbal mount superglued to the airplane and magnet glued to the peg. It occurred as good solution for my planes. I have mainly WoW/WoG and Shapeways models.

Quote Originally Posted by Prodromoi View Post
    If it helps, I have these fuselage pegs available on Shapeways in both fighter and bomber sizes:

Name:	Fuselage pegs (scout) x5.jpg 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	181849
    Fighter size x5
    Fighter size x15

Name:	Fuselage pegs (bomber) x5 v0.2.jpg 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	181850
    Bomber size x5
    Bomber size x15

Personally, I've also fallen for the attraction (pun wholly intended) of the bearing & neodymium magnet attachments, thus:

Name:	scout tip 1.jpg 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	181851
    I've looked at these posts and feel that they are a good option. The problem is that the postage cost to UK ($11.40) is more than the cost of the posts ($9.60). The final charge in Euros is E19.05 so that makes it almost E1.00 per post! I'll just keep making my own from old sprue.

I use a 2mm drill bit, drill into the fuselage and then insert a 2mm plastic rod and cut to size. Fits a standard peg and thats it

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    I've looked at these posts and feel that they are a good option. The problem is that the postage cost to UK ($11.40) is more than the cost of the posts ($9.60). The final charge in Euros is E19.05 so that makes it almost E1.00 per post! I'll just keep making my own from old sprue.
    Shapeways ships everything in a box, even when a jiffybag would do just fine! These are the sort of thing you'd stick onto an order for planes, when you're already committed to paying shipping. If you're not placing a big enough order soon, feel free to drop me a line and I can get some added to my next order then mail them to you once I receive them, cutting down your postage.

I use Aerodrome Accessories magnets stuck to the top of a peg. Then either a ball, or more recently, a bit of steel glued to the bottom of the aircraft.

For larger ones, thumbtacks/drawing pins, for smaller ones, I use a paper punch on the tops of steel cans to make 5mm circles. They're virtually invisible.

Similar Missions

1. How many Shapeway minis do you own?
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Polls
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 07-09-2021, 11:56
  2. Shapeway's or 12-7-games order
    By Greywolf in forum New Zealand Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 21:32
  3. Attaching Gimble mounts or yout models?
    By afilter in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2012, 07:33
  4. Scenarios with Shapeway models
    By Mike W in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-07-2012, 13:59
  5. Shapeway Sopwith Triplane
    By Mike W in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 17:08