Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cards request

Default Cards request

Hi all,
    I am looking to get a few cards done to bring my seaplane collection upto date.
    I am looking for someone to make me a card for my Macchi M5, Hansa Brandenburg CC and Hansa Brandenburg W18.
    If any of our resident card makers would be so kind drop me a pm and Ill send a topdown pic of the scheme and other details.
    Thanks very much in advance if anyone will help me

Did anyone answer this request with a PM?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hi Mike, nope Ingot no reply to this except you today
    Yes still would like the cards if you available, didnt at the time as I knew you were doing lots of other requests

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Did anyone answer this request with a PM?
    Mike--do you have the magical skill to create cards? I am completely at a loss when it comes to computer skills. My typing abilities I learned in grade school are the only thing keeping me going sometimes!

I can make an attempt. If you have a top-down image of the plane and scheme you want, and the information needed to comp!ete the card (aircraft type, squadron, pilot), I can try.

My usual sticking point is finding a decent line drawing of the desired plane to use as part of the template.
    Mike

I can make an attempt. If you have a top-down image of the plane and scheme you want, and the information needed to comp!ete the card (aircraft type, squadron, pilot), I can try.

My usual sticking point is finding a decent line drawing of the desired plane to use as part of the template.

Here is a picture of the model I made. It is a Spad XIV. The stats are: Maneuver deck K, Damage B/C, Hit points 15. It is the same as the Spad X11 but the XIV has Pontoons.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160818_113419_resized.jpg  

A nearly decent line drawing of a Macchi M5, and the basis for a template:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	macchi-m5Draft.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	204849
    Mike

Really sparse pickings for SPAD S.XIV line drawings...

Name:	Spad XIV_543-7.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	204850
    This is the best I could find for an S.XIV, compared to a not-so-bad S.XII.

PS: Found something better:

Name:	SPAD_S-XIV Lines Better.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	204851

Now I just need the other information, for the squadron and pilot.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-18-2016 at 11:13.
    Mike

Images look great! There is not much info on the Spad XIV other than it was flown by the French "Aviation Maritime". Maybe list the pilot as "unknown"

If any of our other designers are using Blender and you want an easy way to create nice orthographic top-down line-drawing-style images of your models, drop me a line and I'll share what I do. (All it takes is a special "toon" material, an orthographic camera, and a couple of special settings.)

Name:	WWF_SPAD_XIV_Card.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	685.5 KB 
ID:	204940
    [Edit: Added Air Station Dunkerque, and pilot]
    [Re-Edit: Changed Maneuver Deck to S]
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-19-2016 at 20:38.
    Mike

Excellent job!! I wish I had your skills. That is beyond perfect! Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post

Hansa Brandenburg W18.

? Can't find this plane, let alone a line drawing of it. W 19?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Nowotny View Post
    Excellent job!! I wish I had your skills. That is beyond perfect! Thank you again!
    Cut and paste is wonderful!
    Mike

H-B CC

Name:	hansa-brandenburg-cc-flying-boat-Lines.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	204870

What colour will it end up being?
    Mike

Hansa Brandenburg W.18?

Name:	brandenburg_w18-Color1.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	111.0 KB 
ID:	204880

Potential Unit: Seeflugstation Trieste
    Potential Pilot: Linienschiffsleutnant Gottfried Freiherr Von Banfield, "The Eagle of Trieste"
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-18-2016 at 23:39.
    Mike

? Can't find this plane, let alone a line drawing of it. W 19?
    http://www.aviastar.org/air/germany/brandenburg_w18.php

Not sure how useful the drawing will be
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Images look great! There is not much info on the Spad XIV other than it was flown by the French "Aviation Maritime". Maybe list the pilot as "unknown"
    According to French Aircraft of the First World War, 39 SPAD 14s were ordered and assigned to the naval air station at Dunkerque under the command of Lieutenant La Burthe.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    http://www.aviastar.org/air/germany/brandenburg_w18.php

Not sure how useful the drawing will be
    Steve,
    Thanks for that. It's the drawing I ended up using. It isn't pretty, but it works.

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    According to French Aircraft of the First World War, 39 SPAD 14s were ordered and assigned to the naval air station at Dunkerque under the command of Lieutenant La Burthe.
    I will add that to the card, Robert. Thanks.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RJG173 View Post
    Thanks for that update, there is really not much information about the Spad XIV out on the web. I have just seen a handful of photos and some brief write-ups. I just found out that the XIV had a 7 foot longer wingspan than the XII to compensate for the Pontoons.

Ill get the colour schemes pics and stats shortly, I would greatly appreciate the cards

Thanks for that update, there is really not much information about the Spad XIV out on the web. I have just seen a handful of photos and some brief write-ups. I just found out that the XIV had a 7 foot longer wingspan than the XII to compensate for the Pontoons.
    Not sure either image is to any scale, but using the fuselage as a guide, there is a difference in the wingspan:

Name:	Spad XIV_LinesCompare.png 
Views:	113 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	204922
    Mike

Mike - you have crazy mad skills! One day from response to card...wild.

By the bye...what is an orthographic camera?

Here is the Macchi M5
    Unknown pilot
    261a Squadriglia
    Q (movement) A (guns) 15 (Damage)

The Hansa CC CDL wings brown fuselage
    Unknown pilot
    V (movement) A (guns) 15 (Damage)

No pic available as yet

Hansa W18

Lschiffs-Lt Gottfried von Banfield
    Trieste Naval Station
    J (movement) B (guns) 16 (Damage)

Here is a picture of the model I made. It is a Spad XIV. The stats are: Maneuver deck K, Damage B/C, Hit points 15. It is the same as the Spad X11 but the XIV has Pontoons.
    I'd say the K deck is too slow for this machine, H deck if you don't want reversals, S deck if you do.

"He is wise who watches"

Here is the Macchi M5
    Unknown pilot
    261a Squadriglia
    Q (movement) A (guns) 15 (Damage)

The Hansa CC CDL wings brown fuselage
    Unknown pilot
    V (movement) A (guns) 15 (Damage)

No pic available as yet

Hansa W18

Lschiffs-Lt Gottfried von Banfield
    Trieste Naval Station
    J (movement) B (guns) 16 (Damage)

Those are beautiful models!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'd say the K deck is too slow for this machine, H deck if you don't want reversals, S deck if you do.
    B and S decks are the same, with the B having 3 sideslips, the S only having two. Cut down a bit of maneuvering for the extra drag? The speed is the same, and although I don't believe the Wiki listing of 127 MPH for the XIV, especially with a smaller hp engine than the XII, it would at least do a SPAD VII speed.
    Mike

I saw an earlier posting of the Spad XII and that is where I got the info. I am always open to more interpretation, especially if I can get an edge

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...85-SPAD-Cannon

Quote Originally Posted by redcoon2 View Post
    By the bye...what is an orthographic camera?
    In the real world, you would position three cameras at mutual right angles to each other around your model so that you could take front, side and top views at the same time. Not easy in real life, but should be easy for a computer to do in a 3D modeling program. What I would like, is a program that can take side, front, top and bottom views and build a 3D model. I have a lot of Windsock Datafiles that I could use to build models (Just don't tell Ray Rimell about that.)
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Name:	WWF_MacchiM5_Card_261aSqn.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	691.6 KB 
ID:	204941
    Mike

Drafts, need shading.

Name:	WWF_H-B-FlyingBoats_KuK-SFK_Cards.png 
Size:	663.8 KB 
ID:	204944

Name:	WWF_H-B-W-18_SFS Trieste_Card.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	664.7 KB 
ID:	204945
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-19-2016 at 23:17.
    Mike

Drafts, need shading.

Size:	663.8 KB 
ID:	204944

Views:	104 
Size:	664.7 KB 
ID:	204945
    Wahoo!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Wahoo!

Ian
    Ian,
    What is the third plane? A CC? I can do a card for your second W.18 fairly easily.
    Mike

B and S decks are the same, with the B having 3 sideslips, the S only having two. Cut down a bit of maneuvering for the extra drag? The speed is the same, and although I don't believe the Wiki listing of 127 MPH for the XIV, especially with a smaller hp engine than the XII, it would at least do a SPAD VII speed.
    Definitely falls into the fast speed band Mike, rather than the average speed band, other than the Immel the S and H decks are identical so the question is whether you allow it to do a reversal or not. (WW1 immel rather than the half loop)

I saw an earlier posting of the Spad XII and that is where I got the info. I am always open to more interpretation, especially if I can get an edge
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...85-SPAD-Cannon
    Sadly way out of date Jim & that info predates the Committee - if you'd followed the link I gave you along with the photo's on your birth of a Spad XIV thread you'd have seen the Stats show it as: SPAD XII 17Q1-Q418 / Mvr Deck S / Damage B+C / Hits 16 / Max Alt 12
    The SPAD XIV stats are given as about the same as far as I have found, don't think the committee have put anything out yet, soon hopefully. As I said before, H deck if you don't want it to do reversals, S deck if you do but fast speed rather than the K decks Average speed will improve your chances

"He is wise who watches"

Definitely falls into the fast speed band Mike, rather than the average speed band, other than the Immel the S and H decks are identical so the question is whether you allow it to do a reversal or not. (WW1 immel rather than the half loop)

We could say that the SPAD XIV could do 'wing overs' rather than Immelmanns, and allow Split-S turns? Swordfish did wing-overs in WWII?

I don't have any idea what the actual plane could manage, but as I have been discovering through discussions on this Forum and other research, many two-seaters flown by the Entente may have been able to do aerobatics but didn't as doctrine (policy), not capability.

Glad I got the speed right, that was a guess.
    Mike

Ian,
    What is the third plane? A CC? I can do a card for your second W.18 fairly easily.
    Yes a CC and two W18s. Thank you.

Ian

We could say that the SPAD XIV could do 'wing overs' rather than Immelmanns, and allow Split-S turns? Swordfish did wing-overs in WWII?

I don't have any idea what the actual plane could manage, but as I have been discovering through discussions on this Forum and other research, many two-seaters flown by the Entente may have been able to do aerobatics but didn't as doctrine (policy), not capability.

Glad I got the speed right, that was a guess.
    I'd go for the S deck myself so that would cover all eventualities - easy then to drop the Immel if required as per the new doctrine card !

"He is wise who watches"

Name:	WWF_H-B-W-18_SFS Trieste2_Card.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	690.9 KB 
ID:	204951Click image for larger version. 

Views:	95 
Size:	691.2 KB 
ID:	204952
    Mike

And shaded!

Views:	93 
Size:	679.6 KB 
ID:	204953

Glad these were useful for a few people! Thanks for asking Chris, and sorry it took so long to notice the request.
    Mike

Nice work Mike!

Thank you

Ian

This might be a bit closer to your paint job, Chris.

Name:	WWF_H-B-W-18_SFS Trieste3_Card.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	680.7 KB 
ID:	204968
    Mike

Cracking Mike, thank you very much for th cards, they will be seeing action at Doncaster I hope

Cracking Mike, thank you very much for th cards, they will be seeing action at Doncaster I hope

My cards will get to Doncaster.

Mike

Mike do you have a copy of the following please?

DH2 24 Squadron RFC Pilot:Lt Alan Machin Wilkinson with 2 lewis guns, ie A firing?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Mike do you have a copy of the following please?

DH2 24 Squadron RFC Pilot:Lt Alan Machin Wilkinson with 2 lewis guns, ie A firing?
    Do you have a reference for this configuration? I don't have anything for a two-gunned dH.2.
    Mike

I now have this for a template, but not with two guns.

Name:	dh2-Color1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	205094
    Mike

Lt Alan Machin Wilkinson, see above.The son of a civil engineer, Lieutenant Alan Machin Wilkinson, of the Hampshire Regiment, received Royal Aero Club Aviator's Certificate 1398 on a Maurice Farman biplane at Farnborough on 4 July 1915. He achieved 10 of his victories while flying an Airco DH2. Having equipped it with two Lewis guns, he was eventually ordered to remove one of them.
    honour.phphttp://www.theaerodrome.com/today/today.cgi August 21st 1916

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    This isn't what I need to do a card, Neil. I need to know how the MGs are mounted. So, I have cobbled together this drawing of a dual MG mounting. Any idea if this is right? How are you modeling this on your mini?

Name:	dh2-Color1-2MGs.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	205473
    Mike

Haven't found any images or mention of how this twin arrangement worked but the Lewis was mounted on a post so they may have had a twin mount made in the workshop to sit atop that ? I say they as in Profile 91 De Havilland DH2 book it mentions 2Lts A.M. Wilkinson and D.M. Tidmarsh were the first to fit twin mounts to their DH2's in 24 Sqn.
    Tidmarsh got 7 victories before being captured, 3 with 24 Sqn. So you have a couple of pilot options for the card.

"He is wise who watches"

I was just going to put 2 shapeways side by side. I've travelled the interest for any image nothing even close.

This isn't what I need to do a card, Neil. I need to know how the MGs are mounted. So, I have cobbled together this drawing of a dual MG mounting. Any idea if this is right? How are you modeling this on your mini?

Name:	dh2-Color1-2MGs.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	205473

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Information request
    By Baron Rolf in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 13:01