Ares Games

Thread: Vancouver area players?

Default Vancouver area players?

Hi. I'm new to the game and am looking for WW2 players in the Vancouver area. Are there any groups or regular sessions? I've dropped in at Trumpeter a few times but haven't seen anyone playing WoG.

Mick!

Welcome to the Forum! Too bad you didn't sign on a month ago. You just missed the biggest ever Ares Games Give-away Con on the mainland!

BottosCon 2015 was 6-8 November. You can check out the event on this thread: BottosCon 2015

I, unfortunately, am not on the mainland. However, you will note a few players on the thread there. Rob Bottos is on the Forum, and you could PM him for a game or two (Link to his profile: BobRoberts).

Also, Troy Chard [Troy_C] is another individual, but not on this forum. You can contact him, and others on the Sails of Glory Anchorage. Len Zigante [Ziglen] and Roger Leroux [Empreur] attended BottosCon, and play Wings of Glory. Despite playing at the last two or three Cons where I hosted games, none of these gentlemen have appeared here.

Trumpeters is not big on Wings of Glory. Perhaps they think that without a telephone book for rules, it isn't historically accurate enough for the grognards? Their loss. Anyway, if you happen to be on the island in the near future, you could let me know you're coming and I could set up a game. There are three island conventions next year that I will be hosting at:

Comox Valley:
    InCON 2016 - 29 April to 1 May

Nanaimo:
    MosaiCon - Second Weekend in September?
    Kippers Melee - 21-23 October 2016

I am not planning on being at BottosCon 2016. However, Rob Bottos won't let that stop Wings of Glory from appearing. There will be games and players there. And if my other plan falls through, I might be there.

Don't be a stranger! Post any games you play, and any stuff you do. Ask any questions you want. Someone here will help you.

Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

I would like to welcome you to the Drome on behalf of the Squadrons in the U.K. Mick.
    Although too far away for a game myself, we do run a series of Solo campaigns here on the Drome, which you may find interesting.
    Fly safe.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

welcome to the drome mick!!!!!

Welcome to the Drome from Cape Cod.

Welcome to the 'Drome, Mick, from Middlesex in the U.K.

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Mike, I had hoped to attend BottosCon this year but I had to work that weekend and couldn't get the time off. Maybe next year. I've met Len a few times but I wasn't aware that he played WoG.

I'm a recovering grog so complex rules don't deter me. I just recently got back into board/miniatures gaming after a 20 year hiatus and I'm having fun trying out all the new (to me anyway) titles (well, except for the more abstracted Euro games. I've discovered that they really are not my cup of tea).

I have been playing a lot of Star Wars: Armada and X-Wing and learned about Wings of Glory/Wings of War through that group. I'm itching to try to set up a night fighter type campaign with Me110s hunting Lancasters and being hunted by Beaufighters in turn. Not quite sure how to handle the limited visibility aspects though. I'm looking through my copy of the boardgame Nightfighter from GMT and seeing if there's a way to combine the two that isn't too unwieldy.

Welcome, Mick, from Orrygun, 500k to the south. I am a transplant from the Vancouver area.

Whoa, weird... my gal's also a Canuck who uses that handle a lot, but she's from Toronto.

Welcome aboard from a day's drive south in Seattle!
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by Mugwump View Post
    Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Mike, I had hoped to attend BottosCon this year but I had to work that weekend and couldn't get the time off. Maybe next year. I've met Len a few times but I wasn't aware that he played WoG.

I'm a recovering grog so complex rules don't deter me. I just recently got back into board/miniatures gaming after a 20 year hiatus and I'm having fun trying out all the new (to me anyway) titles (well, except for the more abstracted Euro games. I've discovered that they really are not my cup of tea).

I have been playing a lot of Star Wars: Armada and X-Wing and learned about Wings of Glory/Wings of War through that group. I'm itching to try to set up a night fighter type campaign with Me110s hunting Lancasters and being hunted by Beaufighters in turn. Not quite sure how to handle the limited visibility aspects though. I'm looking through my copy of the boardgame Nightfighter from GMT and seeing if there's a way to combine the two that isn't too unwieldy.
    Darn. Real Life interferes again! Employers have no sense of fun.

Night fighting is a bit difficult. There are threads discussing it, but my personal preference for this type of combat is a double-blind set-up. Not easy, but giving the best results, for accuracy. Also, not fun for the first target, given the guns on the hunter aircraft.
    Mike

Welcome aboard Mick. It's too bad you missed BottosCon, Mike runs a heck of an event. I've only played Wings of Glory, not the WWII version. If you'd like to meet up at The Trumpeters I'll be at their meeting on March 5, 2016. I'm playing Canvas Eagles and it's a pretty interesting game.

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Mick, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom. My grandmother used to have a pottery figure of a three legged creature. She used to call it a Mugwump.

Thanks Bob.

I was at Trumpeter a few times in the fall, playing Star Wars: Armada. I did see a couple of tables playing Canvas Knights and one group playing a fantastic looking air battle over the Coral Sea. Hopefully I'll be able to make the next few sessions.

Updated National Roll Call, with new players since 2013 from all over the country: Roll Call - September 2016
    Mike

Similar Missions

1. National Locate players in your area.
    By Oberst Hajj in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-20-2020, 08:38
  2. Washington: Reporting for Duty! Portland/Vancouver Area
    By bryanruhe in forum US Wing
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 05-05-2013, 23:05
  3. Call to Vancouver area players
    By Polluxx66 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2011, 22:53
  4. San Francisco - Bay Area Players