Ares Games

Thread: East and west playmats

Users Country Flag

Name
    Jeremy
    Sorties Flown

Default East and west playmats

I am looking around for the original east and west playmats.

On ebay they are going for about 100 each. Is that a fair price for them these days.

Thanks.

Jeeze, I may need to sell mine! I can replace it with one of the new ones for $30.

Sounds high. There was a retailer selling on BGG for about $35 awhile back, but shipping across the border might cost you.

I can't recall the last time I saw the original maps at SRP. Good luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by Polluxx66 View Post
    I am looking around for the original east and west playmats.

On ebay they are going for about 100 each. Is that a fair price for them these days.

Thanks.
    I've seen them for a little less... but shipping is usually a killer. I'll keep eyes open for any.

Jeremy,
    Are you looking to unload yours, or are you getting back in the game?

I could really use some WoW play mats for my Skype games, as the new ones are too dark to use with current cards and minis. The lighter mats would work much better, but I got into the game way too late to get them.

$100 each is way more than I could afford. But, if we could arrange a pick-up in Vancouver some place, I could add a bit more to the price as a trade-off for not paying shipping costs.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Get a piece of fabric from the local sewing shop. Easier to see on Skype and dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagrilarus View Post
    Get a piece of fabric from the local sewing shop. Easier to see on Skype and dirt cheap.
    John hit the nail on the head. You can find amazing fabric colors/patterns to use on the cheap.

I presently use a light green flannel sheet (free at home) for "over land" games, and a mottled blue piece of fabric ($5 from a fabric store bargain bin) for "over water" games.

Land Flannel Sheet "Mat"
    Name:  Game04Setup1.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  146.3 KB

Water Fabric Remnant "Mat"
    Name:  Game15_Set-up-Comp.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  183.9 KB
    (HMS Glorious paper scale test game)

I'd like a bit of detail on the Land mat, but it works really well for Skype games. The WoW mats would do as well, I think. The WoG mats not really suitable.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Can't say as though I argue with this sentiment... though I own each of the mats Nexus/Ares has released, as well as a flocked trench mat (and a Hotz Mat -- European Fields -- for that matter), you can drop a lot of coin on something not necessarily required.

JoAnn Fabrics has a great selection of products that I've picked up over the years: a dark blue calico for deep-water battles, light blue calico for open sky battles, and a couple of camouflage fabrics from eBay (A-TACS FG & Pencott Badlands or Sandstone, can't remember) that serve nicely. And are way cheaper.

If I can steal some time, I'll fly a mission or three, and display a couple of the fabrics so you can see examples.

Oh, and I also have some blue textured vinyl that works well for open ocean engagements.

Similar Missions

1. WGS Clearing out the WGS Collection along with the East and West Playmats
    By Polluxx66 in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2013, 12:36
  2. WGS WOW Game Mats East and West
    By lochmoigh in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 08:06
  3. WGS FS: EAST and WEST WoW Game Mats
    By Super Handley in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1