Ares Games

View Poll Results: Pleae vote for your 3 favorite paint jobs.

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1. Kampfgeschwader 51 "Edelweiß"

3 3.85%
  • 2. FW 190 A8 on Ju 88 G

45 57.69%
  • 3. Amiot 143M

5 6.41%
  • 4. AIM PB4Y-2 "Tortilla Flat" Baldy

18 23.08%
  • 5. He177 A-5 4/KG100

59 75.64%
  • 6. PIAGGIO P 108

18 23.08%
  • 7. Tupolev TB3

3 3.85%
  • 8. B-24 "Moby D ick"

16 20.51%
  • 9. "Mickey The Moocher"

14 17.95%
  • 10. Junkers Ju.52/3mg5e

10 12.82%
  • 11. He 111H

4 5.13%
  • 12. Finito Benito Next Hirohito

7 8.97%
  • 13. Lt. Paul McDowell, 91st BG

9 11.54%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Voting: WGS Bomber painting contest

As Guntruck look for me, I have done a thread about "How to make a Mistel"

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...to-do-a-Mistel

Enjoy yourselves.

Bye

Carlo
    "Be yourself; everyone else is already taken"
    Name:  MadCharlySigcopy.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  18.5 KB

For the first time in any competition, there was an aircraft model that I couldn't find even the smallest flaw in. As close to perfection as it's possible to get. Congrats to guntruck on his Greif.

For second, the amount of work in making the support struts, the subtle conversion of the Ju88 rudder, the extreme conversion of an Fw190D to an A, and the paint job on the whole thing secured the #2 spot for the Mistel.

Third was hard. In terms of painting difficulty, the Piaggio scored extra points. The Ju52 scored extra for the conversion. The He111 subtle paint scheme was brilliant. The Edelweiss Ju88 paint scheme likewise.

In terms of subject, the B-25 was excellent, but I think the decision to enter what is widely regarded as the ugliest bomber of WWII, the Amiot 143M, was...courageous. The best thing you can say was that it had character, and the model captured the original's grotesque appearance adequately.

Name:  500px-AMIOT143_BG.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  34.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Nightbomber View Post
    I suggest our winners told us some more about the painting procedures they applied.
    I mean - painting techniques, hints, mistakes made on the way. C'mon chaps!
    Yes, a painting guide would be great! And we should work on some base designs for the top three.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

I would broaden the 'how-to' request to everyone involved! There really was a bunch of outstanding planes, all of which I'm sure involve details of completion that could benefit all of us...

I like your idea of the top three having flight bases made up for them, Keith! That would certainly encourage others to emulate the winners!

As my fist experience with a competition (albeit only voting...) I have to say this was wonderful. I look forward to the next round...

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Yes, a painting guide would be great! And we should work on some base designs for the top three.
    Fair shout. Give us a bit of time to work this up.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Congratulations to the winners!
    Good job to the rest of my fellow runner-ups. Every model submitted was something to be proud of.
    My only regret was getting stressed out over trying to complete my entry in the last few hours before time expired.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post
    I would broaden the 'how-to' request to everyone involved! There really was a bunch of outstanding planes, all of which I'm sure involve details of completion that could benefit all of us...

I like your idea of the top three having flight bases made up for them, Keith! That would certainly encourage others to emulate the winners!

As my fist experience with a competition (albeit only voting...) I have to say this was wonderful. I look forward to the next round...

All the best,
    Matt
    A note of caution regarding flight bases - you need to consider the demand for these bases, in terms of the availability of the models and demand from the members. Keith after all needs to make a profit from making these available. Certainly as far as the He 177 is concerned, I have the software to produce a base, all I need is the time to do it. I have had conversations with Keith about producing designs for bases, and hopefully next year I will have time to offer some bases for aircraft other than the standard WoG planes.

Matt, I hope you will be able to put up a plane for the next competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Brain View Post
    For the first time in any competition, there was an aircraft model that I couldn't find even the smallest flaw in. As close to perfection as it's possible to get. Congrats to guntruck on his Greif.

For second, the amount of work in making the support struts, the subtle conversion of the Ju88 rudder, the extreme conversion of an Fw190D to an A, and the paint job on the whole thing secured the #2 spot for the Mistel.

Third was hard. In terms of painting difficulty, the Piaggio scored extra points. The Ju52 scored extra for the conversion. The He111 subtle paint scheme was brilliant. The Edelweiss Ju88 paint scheme likewise.

In terms of subject, the B-25 was excellent, but I think the decision to enter what is widely regarded as the ugliest bomber of WWII, the Amiot 143M, was...courageous. The best thing you can say was that it had character, and the model captured the original's grotesque appearance adequately.

Name:  500px-AMIOT143_BG.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  34.4 KB
    Thank you kindly Zoe. I couldn't agree with you more about the Mistel - brilliant. And yes the description of the conversion was inspiring. If I had done this I would not have thought of doing it as two separate aircraft, or rather two aircraft that could be separated. As soon as I saw it I wanted to find out how the warhead was created. Excellent work by Carlo. Yes, I voted for the Piaggio for the same reason mentioned. Have to say, if you had entered your B29 it would have given us all a run for our money.

Quote Originally Posted by matt56 View Post

All the best,
    Matt
    Yep, I agree with every word of that quote.

Congratulations to the winners but all the entrants did well!

Congratulations all.
    Enjoy your awesome prizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Guntruck View Post
    Have to say, if you had entered your B29 it would have given us all a run for our money.
    This one?

Oh, it's prettier all right, and the cockpit detail worked. But while anyone can make a B-29A look reasonably nice, trying to make an Amiot 143M look like something that should fly, rather than being so ugly the ground rejects it, that's a challenge. Especially since in May 1940, the paint was starting to wear off a bit, something I tried to duplicate. Same with the rather hit-or-miss 3 colour cammo that had only been put on with whatever tools were available just 6 months earlier.

p.s. getting that stylised AA Amiot logo on the tail right was... non-trivial. But worth it.

Now if only I had your skill in outlining control surfaces, not to say the crispest vermiform cammo I've ever seen...

This one?

Yep - beautiful finish on it

... trying to make an Amiot 143M look like something that should fly, rather than being so ugly the ground rejects it, that's a challenge.
    Must remember that one.

Now if only I had your skill in outlining control surfaces, not to say the crispest vermiform cammo I've ever seen...
    Yeah, well... we dined out on the contents of the swear box after I finished this one

Well done Steve a lovely aircraft which I voted for , that and the 190/88 combo.
    Having won one of your Albatros repaints I can certainly appreciate your skill at painting.
    Paul

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Congrats to the winners....well done!

It was tough to choose a "best", and the variety of planes really made comparison impossible.

Congrats to all the participants. And everyone gets a new plane in their collection.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    It was tough to choose a "best", and the variety of planes really made comparison impossible.

Congrats to all the participants. And everyone gets a new plane in their collection.
    Here Here.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Old thread, but I'm a bit late the game. Fantastic effort all 'round... bravo chaps! Missing this vote made my life much easier... too many great entries!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Missions

1. WGS Heavy Bomber Painting Contest
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 211
    Last Post: 11-30-2015, 20:59
  2. Bomber Painting Contest?
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 09-12-2015, 00:30
  3. Bomber Painting Contest?
    By Zoe Brain in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-24-2015, 14:24
  4. MvR Tribute Painting Contest - Voting part 2!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-19-2013, 05:13