Ares Games

Thread: Perspex replacement for altitude pegs

Default Perspex replacement for altitude pegs

Hello,

I'd like to get some clear acrylic (perspex?) rod and make a single-piece replacement for the 4 pegs that come with each plane. I have an idea of how to make them but I'd like to get input or advice from anyone who may have already done this.

I think I would get one size (5mm?) and drill a short hole in each end. In one end I would glue a short length of smaller diameter rod (2mm?) to go in the original bases, and the peg on the airplane would of course go in the hole at the other end. I know the pegs/holes are slightly tapered where they go together - can I get away without worrying about that?

I think somebody has probably done this before - I'm wondering how well it worked for you and if you are happy with it? What size of rods should I use? A picture of your solution would be awesome.

thanks!
    Brian

I use litko bases and a telescoping magnet tool. I will pm you later tonight, no time at the moment.

I have used 3mm (Internal dia.) acrylic tube to good effect. To make a tapered hole simply fill the top 5mm of the tube with a 2 part epoxy resin using a 3mm dia. solid rod as a stopper. and then before it sets insert one of the normal flight pegs into the resin having first coated the taper with a thin coating of oil. Let it set and you will find that the flight peg comes out easily leaving you the correct female taper.
    On the other hand you can get longer rods from Litko and little converters from the same sauce which accepts the standard taper peg straight from the mini.

Similar Missions

1. Altitude Pegs / Flight Pegs ?
    By Maverick in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-17-2015, 15:34
  2. Altitude Pegs 50 or 100?
    By Captain Chum in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-27-2015, 14:36
  3. Altitude Pegs
    By Doug in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 5