Ares Games

Thread: "What happened to Heidemann?"

Default "What happened to Heidemann?"

This AAR is a continuation of the narratives documented as part of the Storm Clouds report found here: http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...on-the-Horizon. First person accounts of battle vary greatly from individual to individual, even amongst those who served very close by, as the stress, chaos, and vividness brings to each account a different set of recollections. Such is the case here, where we find the pilots of Jasta 11H have at this point a very different perspective on the events of 31 October. One of the vexing questions at the end of that AAR was how could an experienced pilot and leader like Heidemann simply turn and leave the field of battle when his flight was engaged in a high stakes (and ultimately unsuccessful) effort to drive off the Entente aircraft? What indeed happened to Hediemann?

JASTA 11H Airfield ready room:

The day after the disastrous mission to defend the balloons dawned clear, its bright and sunny aspect a contrast to the grim and introspective demeanor of the pilots of Jasta 11H. For a unit accustomed to success they had been handed a rather emphatic defeat. With no mission scheduled for the day the men were, for better or worse, left to their own ruminations. Even this lack of action felt like a dressing-down from high command. Chief on their mind was not just the action they had seen, refought endlessly in their minds and conversations - "If only! If I had!" - but an explanation of the actions and ultimately, the whereabouts of Hauptman Heidemann, last seen heading north and out of the action. He had not returned to base that fateful day nor this day after, and although all were saying publically that he must surely have landed somewhere nearby and must surely return, each ad their own secret fears to the contrary. Even Stachel, not the Hauptmann's most earnest advocate, was beginning to appreciate what his loss might mean to the Jasta.

"Are there any official reports of his coming down anywhere, Kettering?" "None. The Army has not provided any reports of his coming down in that sector. Jasta 11 says he did not return to their field, which would be south of the action and farther from where he was last sighted in any case. We will just have to wait and see what comes in by wireless." Stachel had not been impressed by Otto's approach to engaging, seeing it as too tentative, too methodical; but that did not mean he did not appreciate his skills in the air. What a difference might that D.VII in the hands of an experienced pilot meant in their success that day! Why had he turned away and left Willi and he to take on those Sopwiths alone!

Imperial German army field hospital:

"Patient 72 is conscious and sitting up. I think you should go speak with him, Herr Doctor. He is a flieger, as you surmised."

(TO BE CONTINUED)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DVII Crash.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	180610

“I am Hauptman Otto Heidemann, commander of Jasta 11H. What day is this?”
    “Easily, Herr Hauptman” doctor Fischer intoned. “You have been unconscious and I am afraid we had no identification. The landsers that pulled you from the plane removed your fuel-soaked clothing rather too efficiently. Do you continue to have pain in your head? The swelling has begun to subside but the bruising will become much worse before it becomes better”
    “Doctor, please, I must contact the Jasta at once. Please send me a clerk so I may file a report”. He slumped back on his pillows, as a wave of pain and nausea hit him. “Please.”
    “Very well Herr Heidemann”. Rest a bit while we find someone suitable.
    ……….
    “Willi and Stachel had broken away and I was in a reversal to take on a pair of Sopwith triplanes that had arrived on the scene when I saw that young Lorenz, a novice in the Jasta, had followed us into battle against my direct orders, and following him were three English Camels. I turned due north and approached him at high speed. He must have seen my approach and correctly interpreted both my intentions and his peril as he went into an Immelman as I approached, turning to face his pursuers. He flew between two of his pursuers and firing. They flew past him and came at me, while the trailing englischer turned adroitly into his path.

Name:	H1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	150.8 KB 
ID:	180616

I was able to use my maneuverability to stay clear of both attackers and position myself for a shot as Lorenz put some distance between himself and his enemy.

Name:	H2.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	180617

The two scissored expertly and as I slid in behind one, the second took me in the flank. That is when I was struck, with a bullet or a piece of my D.VII I do not know. I only know that my world went dark briefly and I struggled to hold her straight until I regained my full senses.

Name:	H3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	180618

They were not prepared for my lack of maneuvers and gathered together as Lorenz and I attempted to get in a formation. His instincts were, for a novice, quite good.

Name:	H4.jpg 
Size:	201.4 KB 
ID:	180619

I must assume that our opponents were all junior pilots as they seemed to have difficulty anticipating and staying out of each other’s, and ultimately, our way. Credit them for fearlessness then.

Name:	H5.jpg 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	180620

I was able to lock onto one at close range, a deflection shot at nor more than 20 yards, but on my second burst my guns jammed, which was to plague me throughout. Lorenz in the mean time, as a good wingman, was able to take one on and put some rounds into him driving him off my tail and setting him alight, and we watched him spiral down into the ground.

Name:	H6.jpg 
Size:	237.2 KB 
ID:	180621

Our opponents were again uncoordinated in their maneuvers, and I saw to other them collide, and one spin down and explode before it hit the ground.

Name:	H65.jpg 
Size:	231.7 KB 
ID:	180622

No sooner than that a second Camel flew straight into me, rupturing my fuel supply and starting a fire. I don’t think it slowed him down at all. One of these englischers seemed to lead a charmed life, having been under our guns several times, and two collisions, and continued to fly on unaffected.

Name:	H7.jpg 
Size:	165.9 KB 
ID:	180623

My plane shuddering badly and on fire, I turned toward home but was losing altitude so quickly, I tried to land it before I burnt or exploded. As I looked back to see if Lorenz was following, I saw him collide with the remaining camel, and it going into a spin. I was now so low my craft touched down, flipped, and that is all I remember.

Name:	H9.jpg 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	180624

Name:	H8.jpg 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	180625

EPILOGUE: "You will not be rid of me so easily, it seems!" The pilots of Jasta 11H were excited to see their leader back, and the swarm was pulling him towards some beverages waiting to be poured. "So how is it that you and Lorenz are returning together when he is healthy and you are injured?" Willi asked, the innocent tone of the questions belied by the piercing look he gave the young flier. Matching him look for look, Lorenz rejoined "My duty at that point seemed to be to see to my comrade rather than return to base. I looked for a way to land near the Hauptman but no clear ground presented itself immediately, so I put down in a farmer's field about 1 km away and headed toward the crash as quickly as I could. I requisitioned a bicycle from a nearby house but by the time I reached the site, the plane was stripped and the Hauptman gone. Asking about from the soldaten in the area, I deemed it likely he had been taken to the nearest field hospital, a ride of some kilometers. The rest you know. I have since returned the bicycle, and my Pfalz back to our field." "Very lucky of you to get two kills when the Captain is disabled. We drink to your ....good aim". "I will have to pass on this celebration" Heidemann said "my head aches and I am still tired from the trip back. Enjoy yourselves tonight, for tomorrow we fly again." "Prost!" As the weary Hautpman was leaving, he stopped and turned to make one last observation. "Willi, go easy on Lorenz. I turned back to save him, and instead, he has saved me. He was an excellent wingman. Good night, gentlemen."

(NOTES - this scenario was played out to provide a reason for Heidemann's plane leaving the board while the Storm Clouds mission was raging. The new Pfalz I had finished provided the reason, and Otto fighting a series of opponents only to go down and be delayed in returning was the outline. He would keep fighting until downed even if I had to bring extra opponents out. The three camels were "played" by the excellent diceless solo decks. Ironically, the Pflaz acquitted itself rather well. The D.VII would maneuver brilliantly only to have its guns jam, and then find an opponent pouring broadsides into it. Collisions played a key part, as did the inevitable BOOM. The two camels taken down by damage ended up as shown below:

Name:	20151108_121709.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	180666

The only one to be cleanly shot down took damage 8 times, colliding twice, but the fire from Lorenz' Pfalz, and the fire it started, took him down.

The real Teflon pilot was this Camel:

Name:	20151108_121637.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	180667

Getting hit ten times, mostly by Heidemann, with 4 zeros and 2 1's. It was the last collision, plowing into the sturdy Pfalz, that put him spiraling into the ground.

A satisfying end to the battle and a little payback for the Jastas after having gotten pasted in the main mission.)

Here ends the tale.......until the next patrol. Prost!
    Last edited by BB401; 11-08-2015 at 20:07.

Thumbs up

Great stuff so far Bob!
    Love the "top down" photos & that great mat.

Looking forward to the Final Episode.

Nice, have enjoyed reading tthese reports, nicely done

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Very well done on this one. Congratulations on the writing.

Brother, you have taken me off the hook with great aplomb. The Hauptmann has retained his dignity and life but, unfortunately lost an aircraft. Never fear, his Red Cockpit D-VII awaits here in the hanger. Sources tell me that there is an bombing mission being planned with Jasta 11H flying support. The mechanics will be busy making ready. Your narratives are really good.

Similar Missions

1. Whats happened to the "infamous" She Devils??
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2016, 03:20
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 07:12
  3. National: 4 NUOVE ESPANSIONI "CUSTOM" per "Wing of Glory"
    By mumo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 12:58
  4. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39