Ares Games

Thread: RFC NIVO - NIght Varnish Orfordness

Default RFC NIVO - NIght Varnish Orfordness

Just having a discussion about RFC planes painted for night flights, and I came across the article on the RAF Museum website that says NIVO was never used in WWI as it was approved too late. Night fighters were painted either PC10 or Black.

http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/blog/con...manifestation/

It was rapidly discovered that aircraft flying at night were vulnerable to the glare of searchlights. Some unofficial experimentation was done and, paradoxically, it quickly emerged that black was not the best shade for concealing an aircraft. The night-fighters of 50 Squadron, RFC, were given all-black finish in 1916, while the F.E2b/d night-bomber squadron in 1917 and 1918 preferred lampblack mixed with varnish.

By 1917, it was felt that an official investigation, by the RFC station at Orfordness, into the most suitable colour to be used, was necessary. In January 1918, a report was produced which concluded that: “…over land and sea…a black or PC10 machine is seen as a black silhouette...the suggested colour…Nivo…appears to strike the mean, and for general night work we consider provides a camouflage which it would be difficult to improve on.”

Black aircraft could not reflect light, whereas Nivo, (NIght Varnish Orfordness), reflected light in approximately the same power as both land and sea. After much trial work had been undertaken on verifying the durability of the new varnish, Nivo was approved in the autumn of 1918. However, the war ended before any aircraft in the new scheme actually flew in action.

In the same report, Orfordness drew attention to the paradox of applying roundels with white circles to night-flying aircraft. In September 1916, in an effort to render identification of night-fighters easier, the following order had been circulated to the RFC’s Home Defence squadrons: “The attention of all concerned is directed to the following distinctive marking, which it has been decided shall be adopted for black-winged night flying aeroplanes: on top and bottom wings [a] white circle the same size as the blue circle used in the marking of day machines.”

However, the report made by Orfordness in January 1918 unsurprisingly recommended that the white area in a roundel should be obliterated by extending the blue and red portions of the roundel. On 1 November 1918, this recommendation, which specifically included the order that the narrow outer white circle be likewise obliterated, was confirmed and enforced.

Exclamation

I posted these pics of a British & NZ FE2b's in a thread regarding Series 6 but seeing Foz has posted this info on NIVO thought it would be useful to repeat the pics here. Both are finished in Black.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 FE 2b Night colour 1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	165.3 KB 
ID:	180541Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 FE 2b Night colour 3.jpg 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	180542

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 FE 2b's NZ.jpg 
Size:	65.1 KB 
ID:	180540

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I posted these pics of a British & NZ FE2b's in a thread regarding Series 6 but seeing Foz has posted this info on NIVO thought it would be useful to repeat the pics here. Both are finished in Black.
    Yep, I thought it a little more interesting than to leave it languishing buried in a thread not really about the subject. It has made me have to re-think my RFC night fighters I was planning.

This is interesting. So, what colour was NIVO, please, if it was not black?

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    This is interesting. So, what colour was NIVO, please, if it was not black?
    NIVO was a very dark green.
    http://www.misterkit.com/catalog/pro...pv1341tton9qj7

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yep - many moons ago someone recommended Tamiya XF-58 for it, and I'm pretty happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    Oh, gods, not *this* argument again.... ;)

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Oh, gods, not *this* argument again....
    Not an argument about the colour, especially if the article is correct about NIVO not being used in WWI.
    It has, at least for the moment, saved me the price of one pot of paint.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    Oh, gods, not *this* argument again....
    Well it makes a change from "What Colour was PC 10?"

Similar Missions

1. Bad night to fly alone
    By Monte175 in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-28-2015, 08:50
  2. Varnish eats decals.
    By Marechallannes in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 15