Ares Games

Thread: We played through every type of WWI plane in the WOW line

Default We played through every type of WWI plane in the WOW line

I wanted to share this AAR with you all. A while back LOOP posted an idea on the site to play though all of the WWI airplanes in a game. I had the chance to try this sort of idea out. The short of it…it was awesome!
    The setup:
    Everyone got an early war plane. Morane Saulniers and Fokker Eindekkers with Paul getting the DH2. I set up one balloon at the seam of each game mat. There are three mats total. Every time your plane gets shot down, you get the next plane available in the war. All Ares/Nexus/Fantasy Flight fighters, two-seaters, and big bombers were in play. Only one of each type was available and you didn't get a choice, just the next available. I made a list based on when each plane came into service and we just worked our way down the list. Everyone got one end of war plane at the end for fairness as well. (Fokker D.VII, Snipes, Fokker E.V) Whoever has the most kills at the end of the game wins!
    20151101_115833 by btbted, on Flickr

The planes stared out in the center of the board in a circle, tails to each other. Sorta like a seven person dual. Count to three and draw! Steve couldn’t wait until three and started shooting on the second maneuver. Ok, I have to admit I took a shot at the balloon on the second maneuver too.
    20151101_120323 by btbted, on Flickr

I drew first blood as I shot down one of the balloons!
    20151101_121245 by btbted, on Flickr
    Matt lost his Eindecker and replaced it with the Pink Roland that is mixing it up in the fray. He was unbelievable with that plane, shooting down a total of five planes while on fire to boot!
    20151101_132357 by btbted, on Flickr

My short lived Nieuport can be seen trying to get behind Steve’s Spad S.VII who is chasing Rick’s Morane Saulnier.
    20151101_132527 by btbted, on Flickr

Over by the balloon you can see Matt’s flaming Roland after he shot down Rick and I at the same time. I gave Rick the choice of new planes. He elected the RE.8, leaving me with the Caproni!
    20151101_134130 by btbted, on Flickr

Everyone feared the Caproni. They couldn’t decide whether to gang up on it or run. They ended up trying to run. “Hey look, a flaming pink Roland! That ought to be an easy kill! Booooom! Down goes the brand new Caproni.
    20151101_135244 by btbted, on Flickr

I came back as the fearsome DH4. Here I get in a few good shots on Jim’s Halberstadt D.III, assisted in Paul’s Sopwith Triplane. Lander’s gold albatros was trying to beat a hasty retreat.
    20151101_141050 by btbted, on Flickr

“Go ahead and shoot me Paul, I’ve got a tail gunner!” Famous last words as I became Paul’s first kill.
    20151101_142155 by btbted, on Flickr

Matt’s pink Roland was finally shot down. Next plane on deck was the Gotha! Do we dare give that plane to someone with six kills already?
    20151101_143911 by btbted, on Flickr

My smoking Brisfit finally got me another kill as I shot down Rick’s previously untouched Breguet.
    20151101_144638 by btbted, on Flickr

The Gotha was a bit of a target. Jim quietly followed it in his Spad XIII for several turns and patiently whittled it down earning him a kill.
    20151101_150022 by btbted, on Flickr

The previously unplayed Macchi gets unwrapped and put on the board. Lander really liked playing this one! And the bat on the nose makes for a really great looking plane!
    20151101_150633 by btbted, on Flickr

Another collision! Down went Steve’s SE5a!
    20151101_150831 by btbted, on Flickr

Good, that clears the way for my Pfalz to….explode!
    20151101_150935 by btbted, on Flickr

A scant few maneuvers later Jim’s Fokker Dr.I sends Paul’s Sopwith Camel spiraling down!
    20151101_152511 by btbted, on Flickr

I think Matt had the Aviatik and was pasting my smoking Nieuport 28.
    20151101_154457 by btbted, on Flickr

Steve was flying the Albatros D.Va and brought down the Aviatik.
    20151101_154751 by btbted, on Flickr

The end game approaches. Two Sopwith Snipes and a UFAG C.1 making it a dangerous place.
    20151101_161328 by btbted, on Flickr

Steve’s Albatros D.Va and my Russian Snipe shot each other down, ending my bid to be top ace. I think it was my 9th plane!
    20151101_161336 by btbted, on Flickr

Paul used the fewest planes with 4 I believe, while I went through the most. Matt ended up with 9 kills, the highest in the game and was crowned the champion.
    This game was awesome! We went through over forty planes, played seven planes in my collection that had never seen the table, and had a great time. We played for about four hours I think. No one was complaining though!

Superlative effort!
    Congratulations to all involved!

That looks like a blast. How long did it take?

Thumbs up

Now that did deserve REP but sadly I have to spread it around first.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Now that did deserve REP but sadly I have to spread it around first.
    No prob, Barry. I gave some for you.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the report. That sounds like an awesome game.

Excellent free-for-all Shawn - jolly good show and all that !
    Nothing better than getting previously unplayed models into action

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

LOOP

Looks like a blast

Very innovative Shawn.
    I have not even flown every type of aircraft I possess as yet.
    A superb effort certainly worthy of rep.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I like the setup with tails pointing into the middle of circle. Not very historical, but sounds really interesting. Nice mission, really!

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    That looks like a blast. How long did it take?
    We played for about five hours, but took a break for lunch and a few interruptions, so I figure four hours. I think it would have gone a bit faster if I had been able to set all the planes out at first. The night before I labeled my five KR Multicase boxes with all the planes that were in each box and that made things a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    I like the setup with tails pointing into the middle of circle. Not very historical, but sounds really interesting. Nice mission, really!
    The setup just kinda hit me as we were getting started. It worked pretty well to kickstart the action. As you say, not very historical, but not much about the game was

I was impressed that with seven players, the mix on the table stayed pretty close, spanning four of five month in service dates. I wish I would have kept better records, but I would venture to guess that any turn wouldn't have been an impossible mix of aircraft.

Similar Missions

1. National: How many minis of each plane type?
    By AZTiger98 in forum US Wing
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 09-12-2015, 06:36
  2. The Three Best Wargames you've ever played
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 162
    Last Post: 08-04-2015, 13:50
  3. Anyone out there played this?
    By Dowters in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-03-2015, 06:27
  4. Multiplayer: Squadron sizes and mixed plane type squadrons.
    By Fabric Flyer in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 03:35