Ares Games
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pour me a bunch of WWII balloons!

Default Pour me a bunch of WWII balloons!

I just read an intriguing article on pouring hollow resin parts and now i am wondering . . .

These were great fun for big invasion scenarios, especially with ships . . . the long hard process works, but what if . . .

So the plotting begins, if I make a 3 piece mold, pour it full of resin, let it begin to set and then pour off the excess . . . what would happen? Tune in next time to see . . . could be very cool, or . . .

Holding my breath... Dunkirk scenario already running through brain, lol

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Superb idea Dave.
    I could use a couple more for Malta. The two you sent me look a bit lonely over Valletta.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Taranto Rob, Taranto!

London Blitz.........endless permutations.
    See you on the Dark Side......

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Even though I see no reason for WWII balloons in my future (even when the Dark Side has a piece of me...), I look forward to seeing where you take this, Dave.

Always a joy to see your handiwork in action!

All the best,
    Matt

Barrage balloons, yes!

Hope these work out well.............

Will keep an eye on this London blitz sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Taranto Rob, Taranto!

London Blitz.........endless permutations.
    Right Squadron Leader. You deal with the Blitz and Taranto, I will deal with Malta.
    Kyte.

So the hollow pour did not work like they promised, the resin I use cures from the core out, not from the extremities in. It also shrinks when thin and collapses under pressure, not good for our purposes. So I just poured it like normal!

Only draw backs are the large amount of resin it consumes and the final weight is higher, but very usable! Now to get a production elf on it, any takers? PM me for details.

PM sent.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Garth
    Sorties Flown

Clipper, perhaps you could try boxing the rtv mold and using expandable foam instead. Must do outside, but much lighter and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Gbear58 View Post
    Clipper, perhaps you could try boxing the rtv mold and using expandable foam instead. Must do outside, but much lighter and cheaper.
    Tried that with WWI balloons, the foam would always adhere to the molds no matter the release agent I used. The ones that worked were so infused with the release the paint would not stick. Still looking in that realm though since I have some awesome plaster molds . . . I am looking at vacuum forming foam and also a resin filler process . . . the search continues! Thanks for the suggestions : )

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Heck, these are so cool that maybe I really DO need to acquire a few for the Blitz or D-Day...so far I was only planning on doing WW2 for night-fighting and Italy/the Med '44-'45...

Keep up the inspirational work, Dave!!

All the best,
    Matt

Yes, D-Day was my first though! Something like...this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	britlcts.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	180168

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Ooohhh! Perhaps Dave could manufacture some landing craft in 1/200 scale to go with the balloons - a 'two-fer' package, perhaps...?

Great pic, Dan-Sam!

All the best,
    Matt

Users Country Flag

Name
    Garth
    Sorties Flown

Check out smooth on .com for a large range of rigid and flexible expanding foams. This can be colored and does come out of the mold. The flex stuff may be useful for large balloons etc

Garth, thanks for the link, I am awaiting delivery from smooth on this week : )

Users Country Flag

Name
    Garth
    Sorties Flown

I suppose that could be construed as aiding or facilitating a "habit" on my part. ;-)
    My experience with the folks a smooth on has always been very good and they have sooooo much cool stuff!
    Happy molding!

Garth

David, i was modelling these out of extruded Styrofoam some time ago, and what came out really nice was imprinting the stitches between the fin segments - i bent a piece of a metal plate and pushed the shape into the Styrofoam. It keeps it.

Name:	WIN_20151111_210222.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	180896

Quote Originally Posted by Honza View Post
    David, i was modelling these out of extruded Styrofoam some time ago, and what came out really nice was imprinting the stitches between the fin segments - i bent a piece of a metal plate and pushed the shape into the Styrofoam. It keeps it.

Name:	WIN_20151111_210222.JPG 
Views:	277 
Size:	28.0 KB 
ID:	180896
    Oooo! I like that Jan, thanks, I will give it a try . . .

So what's up with the blimps? Got the Smooth-On expanding foam and played with the molds I have, learned a lot. . .

Decided to make a new set of molds for the WWII blimps - a three part vinyl mold and give the new stuff a go . . . New mold, 10 cc's off each A and B . . . mix well, pour into molds and WOW!

Really expanded!

Had a bit of a time extracting the first unit, formed a nose and after section . . . here glued together . . .

Trimmed the mold for easier release and tried the second pour . . . first unit looks very promising and at a few grams! We will proceed . . .

Six done now in a matter of a few hours! Very cool material and very light products, thinking Draakens are next . . .

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Six done now in a matter of a few hours! Very cool material and very light products, thinking Draakens are next . . .
    [Emphasis Added]

If that's the case, I'm in!

I'm in for the Blimps.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    First one primed . . .

From the look of your glass you are also getting primed

My motto is to always drink to excess . . . and walk back later.
    Last edited by clipper1801; 02-16-2016 at 19:00.

The survivors of the foam molding event, getting assembled

Just in time for some naval action!

They look superb Dave.
    Rob.

Neighborhood balloon launch pad : ) Taking advantage of the 80-90 degree weather in this bitter winter . . .

Neighborhood balloon launch pad : ) Taking advantage of the 80-90 degree weather in this bitter winter . . .

Why do they remind me of a load of 1930s cocktail shakers Dave?
    Rob.

Default Balloons over London

Fellow Pilots........

With the recent arrival of some very very BIG aeroplanes...and lots of happy faces...

Also came the maps of London....

Slight refocus from WW1 to WW2........

Combine these with the magnificent balloons in this article.....

You have WW2 and HE111 bombing made just a little more interesting ?

as indicated in this thread the options for campaigns are endless with these little beauties...

so when can we acquire some.......?

Maverick...

What a smart idea Mav.
    May even get me to have a spot of leave from Malta, and fly a few sorties over Dear old Blighty.
    Kyte.

Which raises the question what color the British barage ballons really were. I send an email to the British Balloon Society, organization that gathers people who had something to do with barrage balloons during WWII, and i haven't received an answer. My personal guess is a silveish lite grey, but that is just a wild guess.

And they look darned good on the table too.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    And they look darned good on the table too.
    Rob.
    That they do! Wonderful work, Dave... looking forward to seeing the finished product.

So these guys floated to the back of the work bench during the latter days of the Japanese Destroyer project. I experimented with a plexiglass base and a telescoping post, but they were super wobbily and kept falling over. I set the project aside to work on the Zeps until I came upon a solution for the bases. One of the things I love about these building projects is stretching the imagination to solve such dilemmas. It happened today.

These crazy things caught my eye on an end asile at Hobby Lobby. Tagged as "2.75" diameter plastic button key chains" I picked up a bag and started to wonder . . .

Yea! I took the base disk, removed the key chain link,

A short length of 3/32" I.D. tube fit tightly into the hole on the rim plastic disk, insert a length of 1/16" I.D. tube around 6" long into that short tube in the base. Meanwhile a length of 1/32" music wire was inserted and glued into the balloon. All the parts are ready to play . . .

At full length it stands around 12" off the table,

Slide the wire into the tube and the altitude drops to around 8" Cool or what!

Now to turn the pile of parts into a fleet of bases! The bits:

The base can be popped open and the white button disk removed, possibly replaced with a graphic or left clear. Options!

Who would have know where such a solution lurks . . . watch my Clipper's List thread for availability. Cheers!

And here we are!

Kite fest

Where did I put that London mat . . .

Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

These look spectacular, Dave! Well done Perhaps I need to do some Battle of Britain stuff after all...

All the best,
    Matt

They do look magnificent Dave.
    The new bases are very smart.
    Rob.

like very much Dave another great project by yourself

They look very nice.

Those are just plain Awesome!! Cudo's to you and your determination!!

Those are really cool! The time and patience for doing it-PRICELESS!! Now, were can we get 2???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. WWII Barrage Balloons Site
    By clipper1801 in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2013, 22:38
  2. Zero Zero Zero! A whole bunch of Zeros!
    By Dark Horse in forum 1/144 Scale Dawn of War
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-15-2013, 16:54
  3. WGF Can anyone recomend some good modelling sites to swap off a bunch of 1/72 WWI kits?
    By James Denberger in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-30-2012, 15:57
  4. Site: Just added a bunch of Jasta 18 Avatars
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-25-2011, 03:49
  5. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 10:28