Ares Games

Thread: Mission 17. Gas, gas, gas. The Bulldogs.

Default Mission 17. Gas, gas, gas. The Bulldogs.

Two's company.

"This is another tough one I'm afraid chaps." The CO was briefing just his active two seater unit this morning.

Listening attentively were Lt. William Sykes, his Observer Noah Claypole, and 2nd Lt. Nigel Bouncer-Smythe with his Observer Jack(Artie) Dawkins.

"Looks as if the Huns are going for another big push, only this time they are going to use gas to open up the Front. several convoys have been seen making their way up through the rear trenches. They are hiding the gas transports among other lorry's carrying Troops, POWs. Ambulance trucks etc. Your mission is to destroy the Gas cylinders, and other armaments, munitions, and so forth, without hurting the none combatants as far as possible. To that end you must spot for your targets first, before attempting to bomb them if at all feasible."

"No pressure there then." mumbled Claypole as the two crews left the Briefing room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Airco%20DH%204%20VH-UBZ-VH-UNW-CAHS.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	179543

Half an hour later the ground crews were making their last checks on the two DH4's assigned to the mission.

Name:	Drift_Sight_Mk__I_on_DH4.jpg 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	179544

Artie Dawkins checked his Drift Sight, and ten minutes both machines were airborne and heading for the lines.

Name:	IMG_1356.jpg 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	179545

Once over the lines they altered course and headed for the coordinates where the last convoy had been spotted.

Name:	IMG_1358.jpg 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	179547

A sudden flurry of Anti Aircraft fire met them and the Archie drew the attention of both Pilots to a group of vehicles parked up below them.

Name:	T3TonTruck.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	179548

It also drew their attention to a lone aircraft of unknown type heading their way. As it got closer they could make out the Balkan Kreuz on its wings.

Name:	IMG_1357.jpg 
Size:	200.5 KB 
ID:	179546

Then another burst of Archie disturbed them, and they dived towards the targets.

Name:	IMG_1359.jpg 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	179549

Nigel was the first to spot a truck, which was being hurriedly loaded with prisoners of war as he overflew it.
    Lt. Sykes was more fortunate. because even though the dusk was starting to close in, he could glimpse canisters painted in yellow under the canvas of his first observed truck as the last German dived into it through the rear flap.

Name:	IMG_1360.jpg 
Size:	179.1 KB 
ID:	179550

As the next Archie shell burst behind him he spotted a group of Nurses heading towards the third truck as it's driver started up the engine with a cloud of exhaust smoke.

Name:	IMG_1361.jpg 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	179551

"One to avoid there then." he muttered.

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg 
Size:	184.8 KB 
ID:	179552

At that very moment The enemy aircraft flashed between the two DHs.

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	179553

Nigel's observer Noah Claypole whipped his gun around and delivered a long range shot into the Albatros V as it passed, for such was the mystery machine.

Name:	IMG_1364.jpg 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	179554

Unfortunately only one bullet lodged in the oil feed pipe causing smoke to start being emitted as hot oil splashed onto the engine rocker cover.

Name:	IMG_1365.jpg 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	179555

Then he was gone turning away at speed whilst the two DH pilots signaled furiously at each other trying to communicate what they had discovered.

Finally, exasperated William flew alongside Nigel, whilst his observer Artie held up a map cover with the message scrawled across it. GAS FOUND- BOMB WITH ME.

Name:	IMG_1366.jpg 
Size:	202.0 KB 
ID:	179556

Together both aircraft started there ponderous turning circle back towards the now moving target.
    Before they could get even half way round the Albatros darted in once more and subjected Sykes to a good hosing.

Name:	IMG_1367.jpg 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	179557

Nigel returned the compliment but his single Vickers did little damage to the Albatros.
    Nor did the tail Lewis guns do much better service, as it once more flashed between the two machines.

Name:	IMG_1368.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	179558

However the two aircraft were clear of the Albatros, and now aligned for a diving attack upon the gas truck.

Name:	IMG_1369.jpg 
Size:	182.9 KB 
ID:	179559

Vectoring in from slightly different angles they both let go half of their bombs at almost the same instant.

Name:	IMG_1370.jpg 
Size:	179.7 KB 
ID:	179560

The result was impressive. One direct hit and one partial, obliterated the truck and its contents in a fireball.

Name:	IMG_1371.jpg 
Size:	185.0 KB 
ID:	179561

Both aircraft were rocked by the blast.

Moreover to add insult to injury the AA gunners had another unsuccessful crack at the two aircraft.

Name:	IMG_1372.jpg 
Size:	181.5 KB 
ID:	179562

Smoking with resentment, the Albatros piloted by Oblt. Christian Wolf of the newly arrived Kaiser's Eagles Waspen Flight, now dived back into the conflict out of the cloud base.

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg 
Size:	138.9 KB 
ID:	179563

As the oil finally burnt off his Rocker cover he stalked the two DHs who were now leisurely turning in search of other prey.

Name:	IMG_1374.jpg 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	179564

As the aircraft met it was the German who fared worse this time, His own shots going wide as he took a wound across his neck, which made him flinch away and spoilt his aim.

Name:	IMG_1375.jpg 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	179565

Wolf hardly got time to register that he had been hit.
    As he turned, Dawkins, from the rear of the DH which was still below him, got off a snap shot, and to his joy watched as the Albatros keeled over mortally wounded and blazed into the ground a few hundred feet below.

Name:	IMG_1376.jpg 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	179566

Name:	IMG_1378.jpg 
Size:	188.8 KB 
ID:	179567

Name:	IMG_1379.jpg 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	179568

This gave no respite for our intrepid Duo, however, as immediately a much more fearsome foe arrived on the scene. Non other than the intrepid Eagle's Ace Lt Michael Shaeider.

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg 
Size:	187.7 KB 
ID:	179569

Sweeping in on Nigel he delivered a point blank fusillade from his twin Spandaus, and only a sudden gun jam saved the DH from following Wolf down.

Name:	IMG_1381.jpg 
Size:	212.6 KB 
ID:	179570

Meanwhile, Bill was fruitlessly seeking any remaining trucks, all of which had beaten a hasty retreat.

Name:	IMG_1382.jpg 
Size:	156.1 KB 
ID:	179571

Although Shaeider was on Nigel's tail he had only just fixed his jammed Spandaus, and as he fired they immediately jammed again, so although doing serious damage, he could not deliver the Coup de grace to Nigel.

Name:	IMG_1383.jpg 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	179572

Noah was too busy lining up his bomb on the only truck still in sight to have time to return fire.

Name:	IMG_1384.jpg 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	179574

The concentration paid off, however, as the truck was hit amidships, and the cracking and whining discharge of exploding ammunition told the crew exactly what they had hit.

Name:	imagesTZ079WPR.jpg 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	179573

Name:	IMG_1387.jpg 
Size:	213.3 KB 
ID:	179577

Overflying the burning remains, a strange comedy now started teo be enacted.

Name:	IMG_1386.jpg 
Size:	185.9 KB 
ID:	179576

As he turned away from the wreckage, the Albatros V overtook him in the blind spot of both his guns.

Name:	IMG_1388.jpg 
Size:	187.6 KB 
ID:	179578

As both air craft manoeuvred they almost collided.

Name:	IMG_1389.jpg 
Size:	176.3 KB 
ID:	179579

In trying to get a bead on Nigel, Shaeider stalled, but Nigel jinked at the same moment, and rather than sitting behind Nigel's tail the Albatros almost collided with it yet again.

Name:	IMG_1390.jpg 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	179580

Meanwhile, returning from his fruitless pursuit of the Convoy, Bill was again running into Archie fire.

Name:	IMG_1392.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	203.2 KB 
ID:	179581

Nigel now turned Right carrying Shaeider along with him, still too close to exchange fire.

Name:	IMG_1393.jpg 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	179582

Another jink followed, mirrored exactly by the Albatros. It did, however, bring Shaeider within range of the returning Sykes, who promptly missed.

Name:	IMG_1394.jpg 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	179583

As the two DHs turned away for the lines, Claypole had one last pop at Shaeider, also missing and running out of Ammo at the same time.

Name:	IMG_1395.jpg 
Size:	203.1 KB 
ID:	179584

With that all contenders drew apart.

Name:	IMG_1397.jpg 
Size:	217.7 KB 
ID:	179585

the two DHs making for home and the German Ace pulling an Immelmann and heading in the opposite direction back towards his home aerodrome.

Name:	IMG_1398.jpg 
Size:	226.7 KB 
ID:	179586

Name:	IMG_1399.jpg 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	179587

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1385.jpg  
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The Butcher's Bill.

52 Sq. The Bulldogs.

Name:	IMG_1401.jpg 
Size:	166.6 KB 
ID:	179589

2nd Lt. Nigel Bouncer-Smythe RTB. One shared bombed Gas Lorry. One Ammo truck destroyed.
    Observer Noah Claypole RTB.
    Lt William Sykes. RTB. One shared bombed Gas Lorry.
    Observer Jack Dawkins. RTB. One Albatros SD.

Name:	IMG_1403.jpg 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	179590

The Kaiser's Eagles. Waspen Flight.

Obt. Christian Wolf. EXP .W. SD. FT.
    Lt. Michael Shaeider RTB.

Name:	IMG_1400.jpg 
Size:	202.4 KB 
ID:	179588

Rob.
    Last edited by Flying Officer Kyte; 10-27-2015 at 11:46.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nice action. 1 gas truck, 1 ammo truck gone. Both planes headed home a little worse for wear but safe. Congratulations.

Top Bombing Rob ! Your chaps certainly nailed that truck but good !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Having found it so easily, I was determined to get it Dave.
    As it happened it very kindly drove straight towards the AA position. If it had been going towards the edges of the board I would never have caught it in time.
    Rob.

Having read this, I understand where Baldwin got the idea that the bomber will always get through.

Great action, Rob! Deadly accurate defensive fire, combined with fire from the sky, meant a rough day for the Hun!

Thumbs up

Well flown Sir!
    Me thinks a or two for your 2 seater crews after that impressive display & an Albatross to boot.

Just really good luck to be honest Baz.
    I approached this one with no real idea of how to handle it other than make as few deviations and passes as I could.
    Rob.

A solid performance by the boys for you Rob. Success vs the targets and in the air, what else can be asked? A little sloppy AA didn't hurt any either.

Well played, Rob.
    Your photos are very crisp - must get the lighting fixed in my "War Room"

Corporal Dawkins has been recognised (belatedly) by GHQ for his fine work as an observer - five missions and now three kills - he has been awarded the Military Medal and is a credit to the service. He has also been promoted to Sergeant with immediate effect.
    Two more victories to Acedom !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thank you Dave.
    I guess it will be celebrations in the NCOs' Mess tonight then.
    Kyte.

Great AAR Rob, what a result. Some very nice bombing there, well done Sir, excellent report.

Your AARs are always solid and a joy to read. I enjoyed it immensely!

Now that's the way to fly a mission The dastardly Hun won't be gassing our boys now!

Enjoyed your synchronized flying segment. Thats a difficult feat to pull off with friendly aircraft never mind an enemy!

I was actually quite miffed Peter.
    I was trying to get into a position where my rear gunner could get some shots into the Albatros without return fire, and at every turn he just overlapped me. In the end he got away scot free, and not a single damage point on him. The AI was just too good for me.
    Rob.

He may have gotten away but he didn't protect the convoy at all.

I find it a lot of fun if not frustrating when the AI out smarts me, which is quite often! My wife and I at best are 50/50 vs the AI, a fun challenge.

Similar Missions

1. AAR Mission 14 Retrieve the spy. 52 Sq. Bulldogs.
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 09-21-2015, 01:22
  2. AAR Mission 13 The Hunter in the skies. 52 Sq Bulldogs.
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-26-2015, 01:26
  3. AAR Mission 6 Oh Canada. 52 Sq. Bulldogs.
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-01-2015, 11:47
  4. AAR Mission 5. Double Barrage. 52 Sq. (Bulldogs).
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 02:42
  5. AAR Mission 15. Six Days Later. 52 Sq. (the Bulldogs)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-30-2013, 10:00