Ares Games

Thread: Whats a good way in?

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Default Whats a good way in?

Hi all just getting into this and I find myself completely overwhelmed by the choice of aircraft available. I want to start off with enough aircraft for two people to manage easily, I was thinking 2-3 aircraft each, fairly evenly matched. But how do I make sure they are fairly evenly matched? .....or perhaps I don't
    bother?

i would like to join in with the solo campaigns whats a good starter set for that?

I know i could buy the duel packs and maybe buy two or three of those.... But that doesn't seem so adventurous, might be nice to have a bit more variety.

any advice?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

The Duel Packs really are a good starting point if you can get hold of them - basic rules for free, and well matched aircraft pairs. Beyond that, you'll need the Rules and Accessories Pack for the full rules and all of the damage decks. For matching up aircraft, a good rule of thumb is to look for aircraft in the same series (same coloured boxes), as they've tended to release them in reasonably well matched pairs, eg:

Camel vs Fokker Dr.I (mid to late war)
    Albatros D.V vs SPAD XIII (mid to late war)
    Eindekker vs Morane (early war)
    DH2 vs Halberstadt D.V (early war)
    Snipe vs Fokker D.VII (late war)
    Fokker E.V vs Nieuport 28 (late war)
    SPAD VII vs. Albatros D.II (mid war)

Series 6 doesn't match up quite so well, but the Sopwith Triplane (mid war) and the Hanriot HD.I (mid to late war) are reasonably matched with the Albatroses, and the excellent SSW D.III (late war) will happily go against a Camel or even a Snipe. I've never actually used the Aviatik, so not sure on that one.

I've roughly divided them into three periods for what would generally appear in the sky at the same time as each other, but the boundaries were of course rather blurred, eg. the poor old DH2 was still serving long after it was outclassed.... To get more variety out of the game, adding a general purpose two-seater opens up all kinds of scenario options, although the ones currently available are mainly up at the "fast and flash" end of the spectrum. I'd probably recommend the Bristol F.2b and the Halberstadt CL.II as reasonably matched.
    Last edited by Dom S; 10-24-2015 at 03:07.

Some sellers are still offering Rookie Packs - the Rules and Accessories pack + four aircraft (Camel, SPAD XIII, Fokker Triplane, Albatros DVa)

This pack gives you all the rules/damage decks you will need, plus 4 well-matched aircraft which have very different flying characteristics. Any other planes you want can simply be added by purchasing separately.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Can't argue with that - if the rookie pack's available, it's a great starting point, and saves you a few quid over buying everything separately.

I'd like to echo Dom's and Tim's comments... the "Rookie Pack" is a great first purchase as it will give you what you need to play in terms of rules, decks, and comparable aircraft. From there, and once you get more comfortable, you can easily expand.

I see you're in South Yorkshire... so I'm making no claims about shipping costs, but CoolStuffInc in the US has 5 Rookie Packs available as of now: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/214100

I've been dealing with CSI for a number of years, now, and have had a problem neither with product, nor with service.

Once you've secured a Rookie Pack (or Duel Pack) or a RAP (Rules and Accessories Pack) and some miniatures, I'd consider grabbing a two-seater or two for each side. The Germans have the excellent Hannover CL.III and Halberstadt CL.II available... these are late 1917-1918 aircraft and powerful opponents. The Entente can counter with the DH.4 (a bomber, but fast) and the game-changing Bristol F.2 Fighter. Each of these aircraft will increase your options in terms of game play and scenario options... and are fun to fly.

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Some sellers are still offering Rookie Packs - the Rules and Accessories pack + four aircraft (Camel, SPAD XIII, Fokker Triplane, Albatros DVa)

This pack gives you all the rules/damage decks you will need, plus 4 well-matched aircraft which have very different flying characteristics. Any other planes you want can simply be added by purchasing separately.
    Many thanks for your replies. Since I already have "Watch your back" does that mean I don't also need to buy the rules and accessories pack?
    ..and would I be right in assuming that each aircraft is boxed with its associated damage and flight decks?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Embis View Post
    Since I already have "Watch your back" does that mean I don't also need to buy the rules and accessories pack?
    ..and would I be right in assuming that each aircraft is boxed with its associated damage and flight decks?
    Aircraft come with their maneuver decks, but not damage decks. If you have Watch Your Back you have the B deck for single guns, but need the A deck for twin guns.

Other stuff (C and D decks, balloon rules) is also to be found in the Rules and Accessories Pack, but to be honest isn't essential, the A deck is the only thing you really need. Similarly the rules have evolved somewhat since Watch Your Back, but the changes are pretty incremental - the WYB rules will work fine.

For sourcing the bits you need, the duel packs include an A deck, or you may be able to scrounge one up. (For that matter, if you wind up ordering any aircraft from me, I'd be happy to chuck in an A deck.) The Rules and Accessories Pack gives you everything in one package, including the less-used extras like balloons, AA and rockets, but really if you've got Watch Your Back, an A damage deck is the only thing you really need to get started.
    Last edited by Dom S; 10-24-2015 at 06:07.

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Sorry, So many questions!!
    So much of the wings of Glory stuff seems hard to find, is this a marketing strategy?
    I dont seem to be able to find anyone selling burning drachens except on EBay and the price the last one went for there seemed excessive to me, it was more than I was prepared to pay anyway, reflecting demand and supply I suppose. There doesn't seem to be a way of buying individual damage packs.

I have just ordered a Gotha, am I going to be able to use this with what I have (watch your back and famous aces) or will I need to buy Flight of the Giants as well?
    Last edited by Embis; 10-24-2015 at 06:27.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Burning Drachens? Let me give my FLGS number 1 a call - I am sure I saw that item in stock there last time I visited.

May I ask if you have thought about placing an ad in the Aerodrome Classified Ads section for this item?

Be Right Back

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    (For that matter, if you wind up ordering any aircraft from me, I'd be happy to chuck in an A deck.)
    Good man!

As Dom said, WYB! will do you fine in the short term. But, if you're going to make a go of this, I would still counsel in favor of picking up a copy of the RAP. Short of miniatures, it's got all that you'll need in terms of cards, markers, and rules.

A good way I found (until he runs out) to get the basics, especially if you read French
    This seller has the French language version of RAP for 10 euros, about Ł7ish +p&p.
    http://www.ludibay.net/wings-of-glor...s-p-63799.html
    I bought this for extra sets of damage decks & counters.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

You don't really need any of the other boxed sets - they're nice, but essentially obsolete, going back to the game's origins as a pseudo-board game under a different manufacturer. Since it changed from Wings Of War to Wings Of Glory, the Rules and Accessories pack has essentially replaced all of the boxed sets. You should be able to use your Gotha straight out of the box, except that you need the rules for multi-engine planes. Those are in the Rules and Accessories Pack, or in the Flight of the Giants rulebook, which you can get a free PDF of online. You don't need to buy FotG - the Gotha has the counters in its box, and you have a B damage deck already, so you only need the rules.

PS - Didn't realise you had Famous Aces too - in that case you're already good to go with any single engined planes you like - you've got the essentials. If you download the PDF of Flight of the Giants you're sorted for bombers too. If you want to buy Burning Drachens or the Rules and Accessories pack, they'll cover the odd few gaps, but really you've got the essentials covered.
    Last edited by Dom S; 10-24-2015 at 06:45.

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Chaps, what a great community this is!
    Many thanks for your kind offer Dom, I already have an "A" pack and a "B" pack my version of WYB was bought on EBay and I think was combined with famous aces.

so as I understand it I am good to go once I have a few miniatures and If I bought the rules and accessories pack I would also be able to go after a few balloons, I seem to recall a balloon or two for d/l in the files section?

The Gotha includes a sheet of rules for multi-engine planes, along with the counters you need for play.

Burning Drachens is long out of print, and is usually only available via aftermarket sources. Having said that, occasionally a game stockist has one. Stafford Games brought one to several conventions this year.

The Gotha includes a sheet of rules for multi-engine planes, along with the counters you need for play.
    Plus it's a d@mn fine looking mini. I'm definitely pro-Gotha.

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Music to my ears.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Burning Drachens? Be Right Back
    Hello Mark. Terribly sorry to disappoint but FLGS number 1 has sold Burning Drachens. Just a thought but we missed out by about 10 days.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you in your search for this item: Best of Luck

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I stand corrected on the Gotha - had totally forgotten it has a rules sheet in the box. You're good to go then - just pick some models and have at it.... If you decide you want to use the altitude rules (which hadn't been invented back in the days of Famous Aces and Watch Your Back) then printing out a later version of the rules is all you need, eg:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ff...inis_rules.pdf

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Hello Mark. Terribly sorry to disappoint but FLGS number 1 has sold Burning Drachens. Just a thought but we missed out by about 10 days.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you in your search for this item: Best of Luck
    Thanks Barney, but sounds like I am good to go... just need to go and pick my first minis!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I stand corrected on the Gotha - had totally forgotten it has a rules sheet in the box. You're good to go then - just pick some models and have at it.... If you decide you want to use the altitude rules (which hadn't been invented back in the days of Famous Aces and Watch Your Back) then printing out a later version of the rules is all you need, eg:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ff...inis_rules.pdf
    Thanks Dom,

All set then!

many thanks to you all.

The Gotha is an excellent choice as a multi-engine aircraft, due to the "tunnel" cutout in the rear fuselage-not only is this depicted in the model, but as others have pointed out, the special rules are included in the pack-which means, the possibility of altitude differences being included in the game. I'd have to go back and sort through my Nexus box sets to remember when altitude was incorporated into the original game-was that Watch Your Back, or Burning Drachens?

Either way, god choice on the Gotha.

Welcome to the Drome from Cape Cod!

RAP is a must. It has all the rules you need to get going. Any planes you can acquire will only whet the addiction you don't know you now have. If you can get any or the other sets like Flight of the Giants on the cheap, go for it. Look here on the Aerodrome store as Keith has a good selection if you can't find what you are looking for in the UK.

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Welcome to the Drome from Cape Cod!

..... Any planes you can acquire will only whet the addiction you don't know you now have....
    hehehe I know I am addicted, I'm only surprised it took me so long to find this game in the first place!!

Mark if you're able to get to Derby on 29th November, Barney and a good selection of veteran aerodrome Forum members are running a games day.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...by-City-Centre

follow the above link for details or pm (private message) Aussietonka for details.

Next big show in Yorkshire will be Vapnartak at York racecourse Feb 7th 2016.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Mark if you're able to get to Derby on 29th November, Barney and a good selection of veteran aerodrome Forum members are running a games day.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...by-City-Centre

follow the above link for details or pm (private message) Aussietonka for details.

Next big show in Yorkshire will be Vapnartak at York racecourse Feb 7th 2016.

Neil
    Thanks Neil, dont think I will make it to Derby but I will certainly be at Vapnartak, cant believe we are almost round to that again!

2nd Lieutenant

Users Country Flag

Name
    Mark
    Sorties Flown

Well a swift visit to Fiasco in Leeds this morning resulted in my coming away with:

2 Sopwith Snipes
    2 Albatros D VA
    1 Airco DH4
    1 Roland C IIA
    So I am good to go and will be rolling out the mats later on today.

Managed to meet up with Maverick, (and shoot him down in the participation game that we joined with some of the chaps from the Leeds Night Owls!)

Thanks particularly to Maverick (Simon) from The Aerodrome and Steve from the Night Owls who gave me some useful pointers. We played a fun little scenario with a bombing run opposed by a couple of scouts, I proved to be a bit of a liability when it came to bomb runs, missing the targets by a country mile, but compensated for that by rather surprising myself at managing to shoot down three scouts, including Maverick!

Looks as if I have quite a few local clubs to chose from to get some games and now I am fully equipped.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Embis View Post
    Managed to meet up with Maverick, (and shoot him down in the participation game that we joined with some of the chaps from the Leeds Night Owls!)
    Nice catch Mark! The event sounds like it has been anything but a fiasco for you

So you have met Simon (Maverick) and shot him down on your first encounter? Simon with his strong and friendly personality is an excellent player and was once responsible for shooting me down in the middle of my FLGS Gaming Night. Even funnier is that he was playing Snoopy and I was playing the Red Baron!

Have fun rolling out those mats of yours with your new arrivals ...

Similar Missions

1. Whats on your workbench for May
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 140
    Last Post: 05-31-2015, 17:18
  2. Whats Been Reprinted?
    By strontiumdog in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2015, 15:31
  3. Before ordering from the shop... whats best
    By ldsdbomber in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-15-2013, 03:07
  4. Whats with Wingmen?
    By Aero825 in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-25-2010, 01:10
  5. Whats a good way to get a balanced game?
    By bravofour in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 00:38