Ares Games

Thread: Sodeens Se5a

LOOP

Default Sodeens Se5a

I was looking for a colourscheme for my shapeways Se5 and stumbled upon F. O. Sodens blue SE5a.
    But then I found a more or less identical Se5a belonging to Billy Bishop. But it looked greenish not brown.
    So what colour is right? Brown or green? Or is Sodens SE5 brown and Bishops green?

Both were RFC so should be PC10, though photos of the time weren't very good on colour, and paint faded and discoloured over time anyway.

Misterkit do a PC10 paint, and lots of folks on here say it's about right. I'm ordering some soon.
    http://www.misterkit.com/catalog/pro...9v7l337cgp16v5

LOOP

It looks as a dark brown. That is the colour I have seen on most pics.
    I now read on a modellers forum that the PC-10 came in 2 tones. one Brown and one greenish

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

PC10 is a huuuuuge can of worms.... The short version is that over the course of the war there were several "recipes" for the pigment in it, but the original one was lamp black and ferrous oxide, which gives a chocolate brownish colour. Later versions could appear more green when factory fresh, but tended to weather towards brown again. For what it's worth, my preferred colour is 2 parts Vallejo 94 (Russian Uniform) to 1 part Vallejo 148 (Burnt Umber) - the end result is definitely brown, but just has a hint of green to it.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    PC10 is a huuuuuge can of worms.... The short version is that over the course of the war there were several "recipes" for the pigment in it, but the original one was lamp black and ferrous oxide, which gives a chocolate brownish colour. Later versions could appear more green when factory fresh, but tended to weather towards brown again. For what it's worth, my preferred colour is 2 parts Vallejo 94 (Russian Uniform) to 1 part Vallejo 148 (Burnt Umber) - the end result is definitely brown, but just has a hint of green to it.
    So a sort of greenish-brown then

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yep, I definitely favour a greenish brown over a brownish green, but rest assured that whatever colour you choose, knowledgeable people will authoritatively tell you that you're categorically wrong....

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

PS - This is the colour my preferred mix comes out as:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	45H1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	179197

If you carry out a Google Image search on 'SE5a colour schemes', you will find many variations.

LOOP

Yep, I definitely favour a greenish brown over a brownish green, but rest assured that whatever colour you choose, knowledgeable people will authoritatively tell you that you're categorically wrong....
    No doubt

LOOP

Do anyone know why Soden and Bishop share the same colour scheme?
    Other pilots have the same pattern but diferent colours.

Some of the confusion stems from the RNAS using PC12 too, which was 'more' brown, again with caveats on fading, wear & tear etc.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Both of them flew a number of machines in their career, so links to which ones you're actually referring to might help. That said, for WWI British aircraft, "different colours" is usually "different interpretations of the same colour". For the SE5a in particular, you could probably count on your fingers the number of them that weren't PC10 overall....

[Edit] If you're thinking of the early 60 squadron scheme, with the white-edged coloured noses and fuselage bands, they were in flight colours - red, yellow and blue. Bishop's flight had blue, but the colour scheme only lasted a few weeks before they were painted over in lots of lovely PC10....

http://i44.tinypic.com/2gwib0p.jpg
    Last edited by Dom S; 10-23-2015 at 04:55.

In Osprey's Aviation Elite Units 41 - No.60 Sqn RFC/RAF book the plates show both these aircraft, dated August 1917. Soden's A4853 has some subtle differences from Bishops - the headrest 'hump' behind the cockpit is blue and there is white around the cockpit edge.
    Strangely on p64 there is a b&w photo of such a patterned SE5 and the legend suggests this is A4853, an aircraft received from 56 sqn where it had been painted red (!), it goes on to say the headrest was repainted blue in 60 sqn to match the flight colour. So which is right? All blue outlined in white pattern ? Or, was it red with blue headrest ? These colours were done away with on August 26th as 'not approved by wing' so are short lived.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

I think it was just badly worded, and only the headrest had been red in 56 squadron, not the aircraft - I've only ever seen evidence of one red SE5a with a combat unit (Duncan Grinnell-Milne's), and that was very late war, getting a red nose before the armistice, and all-red scheme shortly after. There was also at least one Aussie one, but that was a training machine with 6th AFC - instructors' aircraft quite commonly got weird and extravagant colour schemes, but in combat units they were usually stamped out rather forcefully....
    Last edited by Dom S; 10-23-2015 at 06:02.

Thanks Dom, maybe that's why Soden's kite was slightly different from Bishop's - his may already have had the blue headrest when they did the paint jobs on the nose & fuselages... sod it - paint it PC10 !!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

LOOP

PC-10 it will be

And I see if I'll do a blue headrest......

Thanks guys

Exclamation

For a very short time period that Squadron used different colours for its flights of SE5's (Note not SE5a's).
    Blue, Yellow & Red in the same patten as Bishop's & Soden's.
    HQ quickly squashed it & made them repaint in PC10.
    I use Vellejo brown violet 70887 for my PC 10.

Sample aircraft below.

Name:	<acronym title=WGF FE2 b top.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 175.1 KB  ID: 179212" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />Click image for larger version. 

Name:	<acronym title=WGF HP 0 400.jpg  Views: 45  Size: 171.4 KB  ID: 179213" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Vallejo brown violet is my choice for PC-10 too. Nice HP Baz!

PS - This is the colour my preferred mix comes out as:

Name:	45H1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	179197
    Hey Dom, great looking Camel!

How does your preferred formula match the PC10 color of the Ares Bristol Fighters? It looks a little "lighter," but it's hard to tell from here.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Yep, it is definitely lighter than the Ares Bristol - it's pretty close to the old Wings Of War SE5a, but just a smidgen lighter.

I take it the "dumbells" are of your own make Dom, dont suppose we can look forward to a set of these appearing in your shop at all ?
    Dumbells, boomerangs and zigzags in white, are markings that are not readily available in 1/144.
    I have found Squares and triangles ok but not the above

Any chance of some more full squadron sheets for other squadrons too?
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. SE5a
    By Spandau in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-28-2014, 09:21
  2. Anyone looking for any of the R.A.F. SE5a
    By CappyTom in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-22-2011, 14:04
  3. Some SE5a
    By Boney10 in forum Hobby Room