Ares Games

Thread: V-1 Doodlebug and chasing it (to the sound of Yakety Sax)

Default V-1 Doodlebug and chasing it (to the sound of Yakety Sax)

Let the rambling begin...

I've transposed this from the US thread, as it did go a little off subject, and I thought it may be better served in the House Rules.

1st the V-1 Doodlebug.
    The V-1 Doodlebug had an odometer to measure distance to target, it also had a gyrocompass to correct direction with it's rudder. So I propose the following...
    Take a number of fuel counters to set distance, these are used up in the normal way. This emulates the odometer.
    A deck made from O cards of four straights, one shallow left turn, one shallow right turn, one climb and two steep dives.
    The climb and dive cards are set aside.
    The remaining six cards are shuffled and placed face down.
    Each maneuver, you work through this list, doing the first that is correct.
    1. If out of fuel, dive.
    2. If not at correct altitude, climb.
    3. Otherwise take top card of maneuver deck and do that.
    If you have two straights in a row, reshuffle the six cards again.
    This emulates unknown course corrections from the gyrocompass.
    The V-1 takes special damage as follows.
    Left Rudder: If there is current left rudder damage, do a straight if a left turn is drawn.
    Right Rudder: If there is current right rudder damage, do a straight if a right turn is drawn.
    Crew: Systems damaged, shuffle the manuever deck, and remove three cards face down at random. Use the remaining three for the rest of the game. Second time, the V-1 dives from then on.
    Engine, Smoke & Fire: As normal, but the V-1 can still do straight moves when on fire.

2nd Chasing.
    I propose a new manuever, the Sustained Dive.
    A Sustained Dive can only be planned if proceeded by an Overdive or Sustained Dive loosing three altitude.
    A Sustained Dive is planned as a Dive, which is made normally, for which you loose one altitude, then a straight. The straight is done twice, to emulate the dive momentum. You can choose to loose zero to two altitude on these straights. If you choose zero or one, you have flattened out, and cannot continue the Sustained Dive.

These are my initial thoughts on the matter.
    Two points that I'll leave to the hive mind. How much damage can a V-1 take & does a Sustained Dive damage the plane doing it?

That train journey to TWWS wasn't wasted Steve !
    I have been mulling these ideas over since you posted them - On your two hive mind points :
    Damage - What should a V1 take ? Not much I would suggest, the hard bit should be catching the blighter, shooting it down should be relatively easy !
    Sustained dive causing damage to plane doing it ? You could, though I'd say no, but draw to see if you sustain engine damage !
    Other points:
    I wouldn't have the V.1 turning or climbing, I'd say they were at height and going straight when they reached us, to do otherwise might make them nigh on impossible to catch in a game. I would, however, suggest a turn could be added once if rudder damage is caused by the shooting aircraft !
    You might also allow the V.1 to correct with a counter turn next turn ?!
    Any-hoo there's some ideas for you to ponder, time for scoff !

"He is wise who watches"

Looking at the realism side; I think you need many more straights, maybe 12 or 15. You can make the dives shallow (long straight, lose 1 climb counter; BTW: what climb rate should we have them?). When I made the deck for the Kittering Bugs, I used side slips. If you want turns, have them correct next card. All these represent the governor taking back control of an errant bug. A pilot hit brings down the bug. Rudder damage means it can't correct. I wouldn't worry about fuel; the air patrols were along the coast, so they still had lots of gas when getting chased. For hits, I would go with 14 hits; the special damage will make it easier. You need to set a threshold for the chance of an explosion, something like half or a third of it's points in 1 attack (and, of course, the explosion card). Treat like a FLAK explosion, maybe with a bigger radius. If you do shoot one down, without an explosion, take an A chit if you are within short range immediately behind (a range stick, 6:00 from the bug, touches your base). this gives the effects of fragments blowing back at your plane.

For the sustained dive, I'll have to think. Energy is the big missing part of WGS.

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Would an answer be to change the dive rule by using the climb card as a distance extender to the normal climb card?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01017.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	62.5 KB 
ID:	179450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01018.jpg 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	179451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01019.jpg 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	179452

It would give the diving plane a little more speed 'over the ground' for that turn. It would be proportional to the normal speed of the plane. It is not 'playing two consecutive steep moves' because it is just changing the measurement of one move. The plane would still have a 'fast speed' counter placed on its control board. It would still lose one peg on its stand because it is not a dive followed by a climb. The climb card is simply being used as a measuring aid.

I apologize that the photographs are a little dark.

Here's where I left off a few years ago . . .

As well as a launch target/intercept as they launch scene

Catch me if you can . . .

or us

Or here is another fun set

Or even funner . . .

The sky is no longer the limit . . .

Dave, you continue to overawe and astound.....................

Simply amazing!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    Here's where I left off a few years ago . . .

As well as a launch target/intercept as they launch scene

Catch me if you can . . .

or us

All I can say is Wow!!! Great job.

Thomas

those are really sharp dave

Similar Missions

1. Sound Like Anyone Here?
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-19-2015, 16:00
  2. doodlebug models, rules, scenarios?