Ares Games
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hammerhead 2016 Sat March 5

Default Hammerhead 2016 Sat March 5

I have received confirmation today that we have three tables for this participation game con nxt year.
    I have put us down for WW1, WW2 and Sails.
    Ill pick up the sails table so we will need vollunteers for WW1 and WW2.
    So have a deliberation and if interested in assisting putting on these games let me know.
    Dont need answers now but will need to know after the Xmas break.
    Last year Tim won a prize for the WW1 table so we have to live up to this acolade.

No need to wait 'til after Christmas.
    I'll take WW1 - trophy to defend, and all that.......................

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

May I ask if Hammerhead 2016 is being held next door to Newark Air Museum?

Hammerhead 2015 sounded excellent from what I have heard.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Buddyben View Post
    May I ask if Hammerhead 2016 is being held next door to Newark Air Museum?
    Certainly is Ben - Brunel Building at Newark Showground.

You know what the next thing I am going to mention is ... The potential event clash with the Spitfire 80th Anniversary Celebrations taking place at RAF Cosford the same weekend ...

Used potential as since WGS plans were announced at RAF Cosford very little else has been heard despite a RFI from me for an update. As things stand our attendance at Hammerhead 2016 is looking doubtful unless the RAF Cosford plan changes significantly or is cancelled.

me and Deadly M will be available to attend at the moment could assist or take on WW2

I'll take up slack as needed as usual.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

When's WMMS Rob?
    See you on the Dark Side......

WMMS 2016 is Sunday 13 March

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Certainly is Ben - Brunel Building at Newark Showground.
    CC

Chris have you had a chance to read my PM viz a vis Doncaster 2016?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

CC
    You are right about Newark Air Museum being next door - will be open winter hours on March 5th 2015 (10:00 - 16:00) with last admissions one hour before they close if you didn't already know.

Telling you that as Avro Vulcan B.2 XM594 usually open to public at weekends & if you play your cards right you may well get the chance to visit both.

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Telling you that as Avro Vulcan B.2 XM594 usually open to public at weekends & if you play your cards right you may well get the chance to visit both.
    Four very appreciative words for you Barney:

Great Minds Think Alike. Hammerhead 2016 first and then XM594 as the day concludes would sure make me one VERY happy camper!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Hammerhead 2016 first and then XM594 as the day concludes would sure make me one VERY happy camper!
    Ditto. But there is still this potential event clash with RAF Cosford for us two.

Very relieved to hear news from Chris about WMMS 2016 taking place the following weekend - March 13th 2016 is now marked in my diary.

WMMS is my priority. We are defending our Best Game Trophy...for how many years Rob?

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Ditto. But there is still this potential event clash with RAF Cosford for us two.
    Thing is: I'm looking to attend a major event so I may meet up and play with fellow members. The reasons I am being so bullish about Hammerhead 2016 are firstly because you have made Hammerhead 2015 sound so positive that I am following your recommendations. Secondly there is the possibility of XM594 afterwards. I don't know how many people I am going to get to meet on November 29th at Galactic Models so I am thinking forward into next year's events too now.

Anyway Barney ... What is so important about this other event to make it take priority over both the place where your playing career began one year ago and an Avro Vulcan parked next door?

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Chris have you had a chance to read my PM viz a vis Doncaster 2016?
    Hi Neil, yes read your pm, apologies, will reply in the next two days.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    WMMS is my priority. We are defending our Best Game Trophy...for how many years Rob?
    This will be the third I believe Neil.
    Do we win it outright like the Schneider Trophy if we get it for a third time?
    Rob.

I would just like to take this opportunity to remind new pilots that the rule for representing the Aerodrome at events is at least three members running an event, so that there are at least two manning the table whilst one gets a break. Otherwise it has to be your own private show. Also please remember to enter details of your show on the Calendar after running it past Chris, Boney10, first.
    Rob.

Probably because we have been attending WMMS longer and our reputation for winning best participation game. I only add that I can only attend 1 or the other and for me it will be WMMS.

Neil

Thing is: I'm looking to attend a major event so I may meet up and play with fellow members. The reasons I am being so bullish about Hammerhead 2016 are firstly because you have made Hammerhead 2015 sound so positive that I am following your recommendations. Secondly there is the possibility of XM594 afterwards. I don't know how many people I am going to get to meet on November 29th at Galactic Models so I am thinking forward into next year's events too now.

Anyway Barney ... What is so important about this other event to make it take priority over both the place where your playing career began one year ago and an Avro Vulcan parked next door?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Ben that is all taken on board and very much appreciated. I don't mind you being keen to get out there and meet the other Members as and when you choose. After what I saw yesterday you really are looking very good as a player and coupled with your enthusiasm you're looking great as an Aerodrome Member too. But one thing you are not is a bull in a china shop - that all sounded a bit W ]-} IMHO and needn't have done

Right. Cosford: Supermarine Spitfire 80th Anniversary commemoration where there has been talk of a WGS presence there and to which the Wife would like to go. As greatly assisted by BBMF advice from Sylvia regarding what sounds like it is heading where that weekend. Only everything appears to have now gone silent about WGS proposal - sent Request For Info even and all that's coming back at the moment is a vast expanse of Jack Sh ...

Hammerhead 2015 I tell no word of a lie was a fantastic Birthday treat for me! Also like you say Hammerhead 2016 does'ish mark the end of my first year of service / XM594 is indeed parked next door: Whether I am there or not I still heavily recommend that you attend Ben. It would of course be much better if I was / am able to come along too given Year One service completion especially - unless the chance has arisen to do so before I will be able to introduce you to Johnbiggles who was my first ever game tutor. Then he will be able to see you in action as trained by me and hopefully feel proud about what he sees

Am going to try to make both shows, WMMS is a dead cert as always a great opportunity to catch up with Mark and Haydn, but did enjoy Hammerhead last year and its one of the closer ones for me.

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

But one thing you are not is a bull in a china shop - that all sounded a bit W ]-} IMHO and needn't have done
    Maybe that was a little aggressive-sounding. Sorry about that - Good point. Badly delivered - thanks Barn

Set the clock on that vast expanse of Jack Shed of yours: If (for instance) you don't hear anything by December then Divert D-> Hammerhead 2016. I still intend to attend as like I say it is the way to put faces to names and gain experience actually playing the game with other more seasoned Members. Thanks also for letting everyone know that I am making forward progress in my learning of the game. I am enjoying every minute of it and the tutor I have happens to be very good. Even if he happens to be a bit of a Boom Card Magnate ... Magnet

Even if he happens to be a bit of a Boom Card Magnate ... Magnet
    I resemble that remark.
    A very amusing play on words Ben.
    Kyte.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Set the clock on that vast expanse of Jack Shed of yours: If (for instance) you don't hear anything by December then Divert D-> Hammerhead 2016.

Thanks also for letting everyone know that I am making forward progress in my learning of the game. I am enjoying every minute of it and the tutor I have happens to be very good.
    Ben intends enthusiastically to attend events and expend loads on = Nice Work Fella!

VEJS countdown has begun but have to discuss / persuade / bribe the Wife over D-> Alternate plan from RAF Cosford. It also just so happens to be her favourite UK air museum. Plus of course the fact that she has to do all the driving is quite a pertinent one in this as well. Intention D-> Hammerhead 2016 serious discussion with the Wife maybe best around December-time as you suggest as firstly we will know more by then. Secondly November 29th 2015's event which we are organising will have happened by then.

Progress is being made Ben because it is you who is doing all of the legwork homework and learning: I am only tutoring you but it is a great pleasure to have been given this opportunity.

Do we know what games we want to run at Hammerhead?

One table for each genre Chris, after Xmas Ill ask for Vollunteers to run a specific table, although at the moment, I will do sails, Tim has said WW1 so we will need a WW2 guru.
    As for scenarios.
    Sails a few battles SoL v SoL, frigate v frigate, maybe an escape to harbour
    WW1 Ill leave up to Tim,, or anything somebody wants to try out, bearing in mind the tables are for participation games only.
    WW2 we shall have to see depending who takes it on

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    I will do sails, Tim has said WW1 so we will need a WW2 guru.

There is one person I would like to recommend or at least see on the WW2 side of what we are doing at Hammerhead. As well as being a WW2 aviation guru he will have been playing the game for just over one year on March 5th 2016.

May I politely ask for some help in gently persuading this Member to attend because of this anniversary and the event location: I wonder how many other Members have not had the chance to play for a year and then celebrate it like this? He may not realise exactly what he has got until it has gone. I for one don't want to see this person kicking himself with regret if what I am thinking is correct ...

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I will do sails, Tim has said WW1 so we will need a WW2 guru.
    BEN MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS: I have just caught your appeal on this thread and will just quickly clarify what's above. Chris (Boney10) is Our Man in terms of events and conventions in the UK. The requirement he mentions above for a WW2 guru is more than likely seeking out a WW2 WGS (gaming) guru and not a WW2 Aviation Guru in general. Nice to know you think that highly of my interest in WW2-era aviation but there is no way I could be considered an expert or seasoned WGS player to this avail. I've also not got the sort of kit required as another aspect of being such a WGS guru and have only ever written Solitaire scenarios - not multiple player scenarios.

By coincidence this happens to be the same Chris who ran that Avro Lancasters game and scenario at Doncaster 2015 - the one I am always going on about. Now that is the sort of thing you need to be able to write resource and host before you find yourself being viewed with this sort of esteem. I'll talk to you about this rather than continuing here and taking up any more room: Just so long as you get a good impression of what I mean from this until then.

Lastly on the attendance front I promise to do my best in order to come along. But at a more appropriate time or juncture for discussing this subject with the Wife after our event on November 29th 2015.

Cheers Buddy

Buddyben's Avatar Banned
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Ben
    Sorties Flown

BEN MAKE SURE YOU READ THIS: I have just caught your appeal on this thread and will just quickly clarify what's above.
    That teaches me about the skim-reading of postings! I really am terribly sorry but I honestly thought Chris had written WW2 Aviation Guru required to attend Hammerhead 2016. He does indeed seek a WW2 Guru as you have pointed out.

But let us look on the bright side Barney: Chris now knows how highly you still think of his Avro Lancasters game at Doncaster 2015. It sure must have been excellent

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Chris now knows how highly you still think of his Avro Lancasters game at Doncaster 2015. It sure must have been excellent
    Chris: I have PM'ed you - polite request.

Ben: The WW2 Aviation Guru is presently trying to work some magic concerning the above - but that is all he is saying for now.

Chris if you are short I can change WMMS for Hammerhead and run the WW2 for you.

Neil

One table for each genre Chris, after Xmas Ill ask for Vollunteers to run a specific table, although at the moment, I will do sails, Tim has said WW1 so we will need a WW2 guru.
    As for scenarios.
    Sails a few battles SoL v SoL, frigate v frigate, maybe an escape to harbour
    WW1 Ill leave up to Tim,, or anything somebody wants to try out, bearing in mind the tables are for participation games only.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Posting Deleted.
    Last edited by Tonx; 10-25-2015 at 13:49. Reason: Posting Deleted.

So as not to put Neil out, I am quite happy to do WW2 at Hammerhead for you Chris.
    I take it you will be filling your usual billet for the evening before the event.
    Rob.

Cheers Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    So as not to put Neil out, I am quite happy to do WW2 at Hammerhead for you Chris.
    I take it you will be filling your usual billet for the evening before the event.
    Rob.

Happy to assist Tim with WW1 (and to be on hand to photograph his planes, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    Happy to assist Tim with WW1 (and to be on hand to photograph his planes, lol)
    Best remember to bring the camera this time, then!

Apologiees gents , my Annus Horribilis seems not to finished with me quite yet, but in reply to a lot of things mentioned in a few of the above posts.
    Aussietonka, seen your PM and replied to you.

Buddyben, aussietonka is correct, my comment about a WW2 Guru was for a Wings of Glory WW2 game Guru , but like your enthusiasm and support for Aussiet, see below for further comments on the WW2 game table.

Skafloc, thanks Neil, I must admit that I was looking forward to you running, hopefully a large HP 0/400 raid at WMMS in 2016, but of course if its Hammerhead you want to come to great also see below. I have also sent back your PM about Doncaster 2016 with my comments.

Flying Officer Kyte Thanks Rob

Hedeby, No Bristols allowed or Grey Spad 7 at Hammerhead only joking Chris oh and don't forget your, Wing Shirt, Doncaster badges and camera, in that order

Flying Helmut, Yes to camera .

The WW2 game for Hammerhead, although I appreciate Barney's and Buddyben's enthusiasm for the Lancaster game, I am not 100% convinced it would make a good Public Participation game, it went ok at Doncaster as we were all familiar with the game. This is NOT to say no, I have PM Barney and will take it up with him.
    For the Public participation type games I think most of the game we put on work, Johns Train bash, Robs Taranto/channel Dash , Neil's Pacific games and of course Dogfights, Im just not convinced yet about the WW2 big bombers yet.

We got time yet to think about this so any ideas for a game is all welcome. Ill broach the subject of games next month, but in mean time feel free to post or PM me with suggestions

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Chris. Thank you very much for your PM and I have now responded to you.

Er ... Ben. Has had to leave us and will no longer be attending Hammerhead 2016

May I politely ask if there is a wee plan afoot to stage a Handley Page O/400 raid at either WMMS or Hammerhead? I would like to learn more of this / see this if possible as I am buying an Ares WGF HP O/400 to display with my mainline aircraft collection. In terms of coming to Hammerhead myself I still can't confirm being there unfortunately but will hopefully know more by December

Chris, Rob has stepped up to the plate to run WW2 at Hammerhead so I'll pass. Yes I will run the return match at WMMS an allied mass bomber raid. So everyone who's got one, Caproni, HP or any other allied bomber then bring them along. We would need aircraft with base and maneuver decks please.

Got your pm Chris. About to put a pm together for all. (end of this week).

Neil

Ok people, it is now only around 6 weeks to Hammerhead. We have three tabls again this year, one each for WW1, WW2 and Sails.

So I would now like a definative show of hands please as to vollunteers to assist on the tables.
    Take a quick look at the Hammerhead 2016 link for details http://www.hammerheadshow.co.uk

It will be an all day show on the Saturday only and we will be running participation games on all three tables.

I shall run the Sog and can supply everything for the game
    Any helpers for this table ?

we get around 4 tickets per table so plenty to assist. I need your name, for entry, your forum name and which table you wish to assist on.
    Also what equipment you can bring along.
    So step up if you want a good day out Sat 5 March

I'll be there Chris - I can support on any of the three tables - who is heading up the WW1 and WW2 tables respectively?

Hi Chris

As mentioned above, WW1 for me please.
    Tim Hague; Flying Helmut; WW1; I can provide everything needed for this game.

Thanks Tim and Chris.

currently definates are
    WW1 (returning award winner) Flying Helmut
    SoG Boney10

Hedeby any at mo.
    I know we muted this and I received vollunteers before Xmas, but now I would appreciate firming up things please.
    Anyone particularly wanting to do WW2 and can put on the game?
    I can support with some aircraft and mats etc, Tim has the full gamit for WW1 and I also have SoG pretty much nailed, so its assistants for the day and WW2 table owner we are looking for

Ok people, it is now only around 6 weeks to Hammerhead. We have three tabls again this year, one each for WW1, WW2 and Sails.

So I would now like a definative show of hands please as to vollunteers to assist on the tables.
    Take a quick look at the Hammerhead 2016 link for details http://www.hammerheadshow.co.uk

It will be an all day show on the Saturday only and we will be running participation games on all three tables.

I shall run the Sog and can supply everything for the game
    Any helpers for this table ?

we get around 4 tickets per table so plenty to assist. I need your name, for entry, your forum name and which table you wish to assist on.
    Also what equipment you can bring along.
    So step up if you want a good day out Sat 5 March
    I would be happy to assist on the SAILS table if only to familiarise myself with the rules.
    As far as equipment is concerned here is my current ship list. I also have extra ship mats and counters but no game mats. If you want any of this stuff then let me know.

Sails of Glory Ship Lists

British

HMS Terpsichore 32 Gun Frigate A
    HMS Sybille 34 Gun Frigate B

HMS Defence 74 Gun Ship of the Line C
    HMS Goliath 74 Gun Ship of the Line D

HMS Victory 104 Gun Ship of the Line E
    HMS Royal George 100 Gun Ship of the Line F
    HMS Royal Sovereign 100 Gun Ship of the Line G
    HMS Queen Charlotte 100 Gun Ship of the Line H

French

Courageuse 34 Gun Frigate N
    Carmagnole 36 Gun Frigate O

Genereau 74 Gun Ship of the Line P
    Le Berwick 74 Gun Ship of the Line Q

Orient 120 Gun Ship of the Line R
    L’Austerlitz 120 Gun Ship of the Line S
    Republic Francaise 118 Gun Ship of the Line T
    Imperial 118 Gun Ship of the Line U

Hi Chaps, the Biggles clan intend to attend,
    I will assist at anything airborne rather than air powered.
    With my real life intrusions, I haven't been able to sort out my painting schedule, so my Spits and Hurris are all U/S at the moment, and my train is still bare metal.
    Apart from that, I'll bring anything I'm asked for

Thanks Tim and Chris.

currently definates are
    WW1 (returning award winner) Flying Helmut
    SoG Boney10

Hedeby any at mo.
    I know we muted this and I received vollunteers before Xmas, but now I would appreciate firming up things please.
    Anyone particularly wanting to do WW2 and can put on the game?
    I can support with some aircraft and mats etc, Tim has the full gamit for WW1 and I also have SoG pretty much nailed, so its assistants for the day and WW2 table owner we are looking for
    Put me down (not literally) for the WW1 table - I will help Tim and as stated previously I will make sure his lovely aircraft are reflected in photographic glory when it comes to AAR time, but I'm easy (again not literally) and will support anywhere as long as I can get my Bristols out (yet again not literally - ooh err mrs !!)

PS. Will bring Lancaster if required plus spare boats and maybe a little something for the WW1 table depending on success of Vapnartak

I was kind of hoping that John Biggles and I could fill that roll again for you Chris.
    maybe we should ask John if he is available.
    Rob.

York done and dusted - next stop Hammerhead - bring it on. The Sniper's Times will be there to cover the events as they unfold

Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    ...The Sniper's Times will be there to cover the events as they unfold
    About time for a MkIII Lee Enfield with a scope on the header maybe ?!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. Hammerhead 2016 Sat 5 March
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2015, 23:11
  2. Hammerhead 2015
    By Boney10 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 98
    Last Post: 03-15-2015, 13:31
  3. A Kyte's eye view. HAMMERHEAD 2015