Ares Games

Thread: Reviresco Pfalz D.III Part One

Default Reviresco Pfalz D.III Part One

I freely admit that the value you get out of the box from Ares is impossible to beat (making repaints the way to go) UNLESS you just have to have a plane that's not n production or otherwise readily available (for a price I want to pay)
    Being a DIY kind of guy I was looking for something to build / customize to suit my tastes and I thought I'd give John at Tin-Soldier.com a try. I like to lines of the Pfalz which, like the Albatros, has that molded, streamlined, almost organic look.

I have already "Blue Maxed" a triplane, so I thought let's make this Stachel's "out of date Pfalz".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pfalz1.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	178493

Opening the package revealed a typical if somewhat dated-looking set of white metal castings - obviously well-used molds with pronounced flash at the edges. Going to take some cleanup to get that smooth formed plywood look.....

Name:	Pfalz2.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	178494

So began a period of clean up, employing an exacto blade followed by various miniature files, including a round file to smooth and deepen slightly the wing contours.

Name:	Pfalz3.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	178496

My propeller was a short shot, so I emailed John and he responded with a replacement sprue and a set of decals (Thanks!) which will wait for another Pfalz in the future. Not planning on a spinnable prop, I proceeded to join the fuselage halves and begin filing off mold marks and smoothing the shape.

Name:	Pfalz4.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	178497

Even with the filing, there are depressions and seams showing, so on goes the Squadron putty...

Name:	Pfalz5.jpg 
Size:	122.8 KB 
ID:	178498

My usual approach is to do a reasonable first layer, file/sand it down, and then spray it with primer and look for the remaining imperfections. It cleaned up well.

Name:	Pfalz6.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	178499
    I did use Model Master clear window adhesive to make a nice fillet between the fuselage and lower wing. A second bit of puttying followed by 800 grit sanding and some touch up spray finished the "body work".

I did not like to look of the landing gear struts in the kit - they were rectangular in cross section instead of round, and looked weak, so I found some straight pin material of the appropriate diameter and bent up some replacements.

Name:	Pfalz7.jpg 
Size:	155.9 KB 
ID:	178500

I re-used the small hubs that hold the axles for the wheel by trimming them to fit in the bend of the new struts.

Name:	Pfalz8.jpg 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	178501

It came out looking reasonable, and I am less worried about mangling them in a moment of inattention. Of course, that now needed to be primed....

Name:	20151011_122401.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	116.8 KB 
ID:	178502

I also added the Engine details to the fuselage after contouring it slightly, and fabricated the radiator tubes out of a piece of appropriately sized guitar string.

I want to add decals before wing assembly so I could go no further than trimming and test fitting the wing struts.

The sheet I want is currently out of stock, so it may be some time before I can pick up this thread again. Here's hoping.......

Name:	Pfalz10.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	178503
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151006_213441.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BB401 View Post
    ...and fabricated the radiator tubes out of a piece of appropriately sized guitar string...

That's some serious DIY!

Thanks for the step-by-step, Bob. I hope the decals you're wanting are back in stock in the near future... I want to see how this ends!

Thanks for this.
    I'll be following it with the most attention.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Looking forward to your next installment, Bob - this is really turning into a nice project, given where it began

All the best,
    Matt

Bob some good advice there. My modelling skills are nowhere up to yours. Arthritis and all that makes it impossible for me to fiddle the little bits. I too hope the decals are in soon as I would like to see the finished article and perhaps an AAR to boot too.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Bob, thanks for all the photos going through the process. I have several of these Reviresco models that I have yet to construct. Looks like I'll have to put aside a bit more time than I had hoped, but I do still look forward to starting on these this winter.

Hi Bob
    I await a shot of the finished item. Looking good so far.
    I have a flight of three D.III's painted as Jasta 10 Aircraft.
    I will try to post a photo if I can find it.

Thank you for this, Bob. You have highlighted some important points. I think that I would have left the fitting of the undercarriage until last.

I have already "Blue Maxed" a triplane, so I thought let's make this Stachel's "out of date Pfalz

My Brother, you have taken on a project I am not sure I would tackle. She looked awfully rough coming out of the envelope! My compliments on your tenacity. Of course you know my heart is with you as we build up the Heidemann Jasta. As you say, repainting a craft is the way to go if the plane is in production, such as your DR-1 conversion to Stachel and my DR-I conversion to Klugermann and D-VII to Hauptman Heidemann, but there are other ways to "skin the cat". Looking forward to Nov. 1.

.....No easy targets will we face today if Jasta Heidemann has anything to say.
    Lead by the Blue Max anointed we face Stachel and Heidemann and that Klugermann Ace.
    Ever undaunted we fly into the sun On Wings of Glory to bring down the Hun.

Looks like a couple of weeks before I will finish pending delivery of the lozenge decals I am looking for. Will post an update on completion.

Looking forward to seeing the final result.
    Your patience and skills are top rate.

Looking good so far.
    I have used Reviresco decals on a couple of my Red Eagle Phalz D3 to good effect, tell me on this model is the nose spinner modelled to the prop or seperate ?

Quote Originally Posted by Boney10 View Post
    Looking good so far.
    I have used Reviresco decals on a couple of my Red Eagle Phalz D3 to good effect, tell me on this model is the nose spinner modelled to the prop or seperate ?
    Prop and spinner are one piece. Spinner profile is a little short and rounded to my eye, where I thought it would be more triangular in cross section rather than a dome like an albatros.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Bob
    As promised.

Name:	Pfalz D.III 003.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	178810Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pfalz D.III 004.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	178811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pfalz D.III 005.jpg 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	178812Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pfalz D.III 006.jpg 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	178813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pfalz D.III 007.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	178814Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pfalz D.III 008.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	112.3 KB 
ID:	178815

Yellow Stripe is Lt. Hans Kline
    Yellow Hoops is Lt. Aois Heldman
    Blue/Green Camo is Vzfw. Hecht

Those are good looking machines, Reg.

Thanks David. All Skytrex metal. Not always the easiest to put together. Some of those Skytrex moulds are really old and in need of repair.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

These look very nice, Reg! Thanks for the inspiration...

All the best,
    Matt

Anxiously awaiting the finished product.

Being a Skytrex builder myself, I applaud your workmanship Reg.
    They look just the ticket to me.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Being a Skytrex builder myself, I applaud your workmanship Reg.
    They look just the ticket to me.
    Rob.
    Thank you Rob, I really appreciate your comments.
    Reg

Very nicely done. I wish I had your talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Very nicely done. I wish I had your talents.
    Thanks Pete I appreciate the comment. I freely admit that I've always been a better modeller than a war gamer!

The Saga Continues (haltingly) - Pfalz D.III Part Two.

As it will be some time yet before I get the particular lozenge I am looking for, I decided to do as much other work as I can get done without them, which, as it turns out, is quite a bit.

Name:	Pfalz11.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	92.9 KB 
ID:	179269
    The black nose and struts can be painted, (always followed by a bit of test fitting)

Name:	20151023_221713.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	106.0 KB 
ID:	179270
    It looks like the black nose extends on a line from the leading edge of the lower wing to the leading edge of the upper wing.

Name:	20151024_155114.jpg 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	179271
    After having done a little filing to better shape the cylinder heads I used a base coat of black with an overall graphite metallic drybrush, and picked out edges with chrome silver - same treatment on the MGs, added after as they overlap a bit.

Name:	20151024_155127.jpg 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	179272
    Prime the prop, paint the spinner black and brown for the blades.

Name:	pfalz15.jpg 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	179273
    As the Insignia on upper and lower wing, and the tail, are over white, I painted the field acrylic white over the primer, added the insignia, and then tackled the lower wing / fuselage in light blue, tyres in grey.

Name:	20151024_190739.jpg 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	179274
    Insignia on top wing and tail

Name:	pfalz16.jpg 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	179275
    Brown wash on the prop to give it a little more depth and sheen

Name:	20151024_190922.jpg 
Size:	138.1 KB 
ID:	179276
    Now we wait.

Part II is looking very nice too. Do you have a pic of the actual aircraft so we can see what the finished item is going to look like? Just that you mention lozenge pattern and the pic in post 1 is mainly white with red bands at tail.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Default I Found a Blue Max Pfalz

Name:	Pfalz_D.III_Omaka_Aviation_Heritage_Centre[1].jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	179303

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    Hi Bob
    Are yours kits or repainted, and if kits, whose? They look great.
    Last edited by BB401; 10-25-2015 at 06:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post

Name:	Pfalz_D.III_Omaka_Aviation_Heritage_Centre[1].jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	41.2 KB 
ID:	179303
    I have seen pics of this aircraft and it has the nose and struts in blue. All of the film screen captures make it look black, and the cowling on their DR.ls are all black, so I went with black as well. As to the lozenge, choices in 1/144 are limited, and as the screen version was an ahistorical pattern, I settled on one that is very blue-dominant, which regardless of how they may have looked under good lighting, is how the screen aircraft appeared to my eye. Naturally, the pattern I chose is the one that is out of stock.....and so we wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Part II is looking very nice too. Do you have a pic of the actual aircraft so we can see what the finished item is going to look like? Just that you mention lozenge pattern and the pic in post 1 is mainly white with red bands at tail.
    Picture on the package shows red bands but the basic kit provides no decorations (sold separately) and so is a blank slate.

Well while waiting, I can always whip up an aircraft cardClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Pfalz_Jasta_11H.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	179342

Sweet card Bob. Don't forget to add in the maneuver deck, shooting deck and damage number.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Sweet card Bob. Don't forget to add in the maneuver deck, shooting deck and damage number.
    Have to go look that up now.......!

Well while waiting, I can always whip up an aircraft cardClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Pfalz_Jasta_11H.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	179342
    It amazes me how you (and others) can "whip up" such a gorgeous card in what seems like no time!

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    It amazes me how you (and others) can "whip up" such a gorgeous card in what seems like no time!
    I wish I could do that!

Great plane and card, grumph... added to my every lengthening list of planes to do!

Quick Update - Decals back in stock! Ordering Now!!!!!

Quick Update - Decals back in stock! Ordering Now!!!!!
    Bro- My "Classic Military Aircraft" book has a photo of one of the two Pfalz replicas created for "The Blue Max", unfortunately it is black and white. Darn, we will have to watch the movie again!

Similar Missions

1. General Pfalz e-1
    By Dominik in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-23-2022, 10:13
  2. Pfalz D.XII
    By von Fustercluck in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 08-19-2014, 17:17
  3. Reviresco Fokker EIII, Part 2: Underside & Undercarriage
    By Dark Horse in forum Metal and Resin Models
    Replies: 3