Ares Games

Thread: The second mission by the Dutch Wing: now we take LÜnne ...

Default The second mission by the Dutch Wing: now we take LÜnne ...

Lex (Cat's Eyes) came over to my house in Lünne (Lower Saxony, Germany) to play a game of Wings of Glory 1st WW (and a game of Flames of War).

The scenario was a (dog-)fight over the (auxilary) airfield at Plantlünne.

The airodrome at Plantlünne in crisp autumn early morning sunshine ... all is quiet on the Western front ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	048.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	178471

Suddenly the quiet is torn apart by the scream of Clerget engines at full throttle as five Sopwith Camels dive down out of the blue onto the unsuspecting airodrome ...

Name:	049.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	142.2 KB 
ID:	178472

Vickers guns blazing away they sweep at tree height over the parked scouts and recce planes, damaging at least three planes.

Name:	051.jpg 
Size:	144.8 KB 
ID:	178473

As young Eton-boy Lt Guy Paperman (flying as tail-end Charlie) overflies the mess he drops a stone with a message attached ... the message "we'll be back ..."
    Ammo spent the Camels turn for home leaving behind an aerodrome in turmoil ...

Two Albatros D.Va's and two Fokker Dr.I's scramble but are too late to catch the Camels that are hightailing it over the lines into safety ...

Name:	053.jpg 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	178475

Having read the message dropped by Lt Paperman the commander of the fighters based at Plantlünne, none other then Rittmeister Manfred Freiherr van Richthofen, decides to try and trap the English when they return.

So when next morning four British Camels (Capt Brown had to return to base with engine trouble) appear once again over the airfield the Germans are ready and waiting ...

Name:	055.jpg 
Size:	158.7 KB 
ID:	178476

and so the dogfight begins ...

Crying "für den Kaiser !" the Germans attack. Capt Ellwood manages to damage Von Hippel's D.Va whilst Lt Paperman is hit by Von Richthofen. Major Barker succeeds in damaging both Dr.I's (Von Richthofen, Oltn. Jacobs).

Name:	056.jpg 
Size:	178.1 KB 
ID:	178477

After a lot of manoeuvring Oltn. Paul Bäumer falls to the guns of Ellwood and Paperman

Name:	057.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	179.8 KB 
ID:	178478

It looks like the English have recovered from the trap they flew into .... but ...

shortly afterwards the Red Baron shoots down Lt Paperman and Capt Ellwood is shot down by Von Hippel ...

Name:	058.jpg 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	178479

just a few manoeuvers later Capt Barker also falls to fire from Von Richthofen's spandaus.

Name:	059.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	178480

Seeing he now is outnumbered one to three Capt Ffing-Whyte decides it is time to go home and manages to break off and fly back over the trenches to safety and tea and biscuits.
    Later that night he has several glasses of dark ale to wash away the foul taste of defeat ...

Lex and myself enjoyed the game very much, especially Lex who played the German side ... Oh well, soon I'll have my revenge .... I hope ...

Guus
    Last edited by Aardvark1430; 04-01-2016 at 14:29.
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

now that's a shame, all pictures are gone ...
    they can be viewed though by clicking the attachments ...
    anybody know how to change this back so the pictures come up in the usual / normal way

Guus

somehow the pics returned, don't know what happened , but I'm glad
    Last edited by Aardvark1430; 10-12-2015 at 10:13.
    "zet 'm op ... witte muizen !" (strijdkreet van 1e JaVa, Luchtvaart Afdeling, Nederland 1940)
    "let's go get them ... white mice !" (battlecry of the 1st Fighter Group, Army Air Force, Netherlands 1940)

Dear Squadron Leader:

You've uploaded the pictures in the Aerodrome?
    If yes, you just have to go to the picture and copy the last link and past it to the AAR text body.
    It should start with [IMG] and end with [/IMG]
    If you uploaded it in another webpage you should copy the link of the image and use the button up <insert Image>

I hope that this helps, Squadron leader.

It sounds like you had a good time, Guus. The British should not have been so obvious and overconfident.

Wow! Excellent AAR! It reminds me of some AAR´s from the past.
    REP of course!

Very encouraging to see the Dutch Flight getting in on the AAR scene.
    That is a very picturesque airfield that the Germans have Guss.
    Well worth trying to spoil in the future.
    Maybe some two seaters with a few bombs next time?
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Wonderful AAR! Seems as though the Dutch Wing has jumped in with both feet... bravo! Nothing like a tree-top scrap to get the heart racing...

Great AAR - wonderful setup.

Look like a deluxe mission.
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Excellent mission, chaps - love the ground detail!

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    It sounds like you had a good time, Guus. The British should not have been so obvious and overconfident.
    Overconfident ..., ahh, not the British, just young Eton-boy Lt Guy Paperman, who thinks of it all as rugby, a gentlemans sport ... anyway it cost him dearly ...
    Guus

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    'n Abend Helmut, good evening Tim,
    yep, and it's just across the road
    Guus

Cracking second outing for the Dutch Wing. Well done. Pity the British flight let the side down a trifle.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    +1

Nice to see close action at ground level. The detail of your airfield is top notch.

Thumbs up

Well done Guus!
    The first part reminded me of flash's Aerodrome raid we all played a couple of years ago.

Gave me a flash back Baz !
    Nicely done Guus & Lex, what a great game. If you want to have a go at another aerodrome attack have a look here at mission 13 (unlucky for some!) And here is my AAR that was inspired by Billy Bishops infamous claim.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Hi Dave,
    glad you liked it
    What a good thread with all those scenarios , I didn't know it was here on the site. Shows just what a bad reconnaissance flyer I am
    It is a sure thing I / we are going to make good use of them , we'll to that ...
    Guus

Hi Barry (again ...),
    now that's a very, very nice AAR very well done ...

I absolutely must try to improve my own AARs to come,
    Guus

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Well done Guus!
    The first part reminded me of flash's Aerodrome raid we all played a couple of years ago.
    Oh yes!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Very nicely done. Shows what happens when a challenge is issued and met.

it was a very nice scenerio to play. The trees of the runway were a nuissance though Always nice to outmaneuver your opponent or be outmanouvered by him. Wings of war is a fun game to play. Thanks Guus, for bringing me back into this game. We drink to that

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

What a beautiful little aerodrome to be 'fighting' over! Well done, you lot!

So glad the Dutch Wing is making its mark...

All the best,
    Matt

Thanks Matt for the compliment,
    we too thought it (the aerodrome) turned out rather well
    but like Cats Eyes said ... trees don't belong on an aerodrome you plan to strafe , luckily we didn't

Guus

Quims post in the other thread just reminded me I meant to give you some Rep for this great AAR Guss. That should take you over 50 for rep so I will put you in for your medal.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Quims post in the other thread just reminded me I meant to give you some Rep for this great AAR Guss. That should take you over 50 for rep so I will put you in for your medal.
    Rob.
    Hi Rob,
    that's awfully nice of you
    Thanks a ton !
    Cheers,
    Guus

yeah!! first medal to the Dutch wing! we drink to that

Hold it, hold it , you going too fast .... the medal hasn't been awarded yet .... I've just been nominated ...
    but I agree, even that is a reason to

Guus

Oh and btw ... have you seen the bemedalled chests of our other wing members (blackronin & Poncho Latour)

oh whatever, nomination, medal awarded, its all reason for celebrations. And yes, I did see the impressive amount of medals of our wingmembers blackronin & poncho latour. but they earned them under another wing didn't they? I will buy you a Kingfisher and hope you get your medal thanks to the nice nomination of Flying Officer Kyte.

Similar Missions

1. Dutch Wing!
    By Blackronin in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-26-2016, 13:43
  2. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-17-2015, 12:58