Ares Games

Thread: Wings of War is more than meets the eye.

Default Wings of War is more than meets the eye.

At first I thought the Wings of War game was very simple and abstracted. But the more I learn about it, the more I see the depth and detail of the game. The planes are a lot more different from each other than I saw at first glance. And the historical authenticity of it all is much more than I expected.

I used to play an Avalon Hill game called Air Force back in the day, that made Warhammer 40K look like a family board game in relation to its complexity. Of course very few people could ever play it, and it would never stand the test of time. But WoW seems like a much more accessible and fun game. I expect any investments made in WoW will be of lasting value, as the company doesn't seem to be about making previous products obsolete. And since the designers have done such a good job of adding variety without compromising simplicity, seasoned and new gamers should continue to be interested in it.

I agree that Wings of War is a very unique game. The mechanics are very simple and just about all the complexity of the genre is built right into those simple mechanics. It is the only "miniatures game" I have ever seen where a completely new player can be up and running on his own with out consulting rule books at all in the first game.

Back when I was a college student, I could spend an entire day sitting at a game table with my friends, delving in to the minutia of a 400 page rule book. I enjoyed it.

But as I've gotten older, I have more demands on my time. Having a game that I can just whip out and play in less than an hour, even with people who've never played it before, is huge. And as you said, it satisfies my need for a wargame, even though it's historical accuracy is hidden from the casual player.

Using a card system for movement instead of having to use rulers and turn templates or have a hex patterned play mat is great. And not having to constantly plot movement and altitude on paper simplifies the game greatly. A true innovation in aerial gaming!
    Last edited by Coog; 10-08-2010 at 16:37.

I have always loved aviation but I never really played or knew of any aviation board games. I always took to the skies in flight sims...and still do every once in a while. But when I first saw WoW and read about it, I knew I had to give it a try. Once I started, I could not stop!

I love it because it is simple but indepth at the same time. It is fast paced, fun, and using good strategy will go a long way.

Wow, I just read the interview with Andrea Angiolino and Col. Hajj.

http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=284

I feel like Andrea is controlling my mind. Almost everything I said was what he wanted me to think from what is in the interview. I would say he was very successful in achieving his goals.

Long live Wings Of War!!

The elegance of the play also seems to overcome the objections of gamers who don't like wargames. When I first talked several of the gamers in my group into trying it they compared it to RoboRally, a game where robots try to negotiate a treacherous factory floor. They enjoyed the mechanic even though they were not interested in the history at all.

Well done, I say!

Similar Missions

1. Wings of War Article
    By Belis4rius in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2010, 05:15
  2. Repaint Contest - Win a Wings of War or Dawn of War box set!
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Past Contests
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 08:30
  3. Evolution of Wings of War
    By Jmac in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-21-2009, 10:07