Ares Games

Thread: Invisible Plane

Default Invisible Plane

I remember reading somewhere about a German idea to make an invisible plane. Can you imagine if our illustrious game manufacturer bought out a set of those? He could sell empty boxes and I am sure we would buy them as must have items

Anyway, anyone remember the details? It is not the Taube I am talking about, but rather a fat looking thing covered in some sort of clear material.

In 1916, the German air force replaced the doped fabric skin of a range of aircraft, including the Fokker E III fighter, with an early plastic, the celluloid-like Cellon. Developed by chemist Arthur Eichgrün, Cellon was used by both sides as a varnish that could be used to dope aircraft skin. It was also available as transparent solid panels, which the Germans used in this case as a replacement doped fabric. The idea was that the Cellon airplane would become invisible in the sky. The reality was less successful. Though effectively transparent in clear skies, in cloudy weather the Fokker monoplane covered in Cellon was about as visible as normal fabric. Worse yet, in bright light the plane was sufficiently reflective that it was not only noticeable but blinding to its own pilot and observer.

The Devil of History
    Name:  Fokker+E.III++camouflaged+in+clear+cellon.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  4-EF306-4-PB3.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  130.2 KB

Name:  invisible-fokker_e-3_no396-16cellon04.jpg
Views: 307
Size:  61.6 KB

I remember reading this; certainly a game try for an early plane for Wonder Woman
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

according to an old ww2 joke they apparently succeeded all to well.

new recruit to an alt kammerad, "how to we tell whos aircraft it is when we see one?" old hand "well, if its silver, its american, if its brown, its british, if its green its russian, but if its invisible, its ours.................."

Similar Missions

1. Plane ID
    By grumpybear in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-02-2015, 06:14
  2. Gaudy vs invisible
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-18-2014, 20:00
  3. BIG Dr1 RC plane
    By BobP in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2013, 13:23
  4. What is the most you will pay for a WOW Plane?
    By afilter in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-16-2011, 16:17
  5. Best WWI plane
    By Air Battle Mgr in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-26-2010, 09:20