Ares Games

Thread: Card Draw Question

Question Card Draw Question

Hi everybody,

New player here, so far I have 1 real game and 1 solo game down. Last night I was playing a solo game and ran into a couple of questions:

The situation is this: The SPAD and the DRI are positioned for a head-on pass at short range, and both are very near their damage limit.
    Both are going to take two damage cards.

Question 1) Who draws first? I know it doesn't really matter because the cards are unknown so its still random, but is there a rule or convention that is followed so there are no "this should have been your card" arguments?

In this situation the DRI drew first. The first card drawn was a "4" which destroyed the aircraft.

Question 2) What happens to the second DRI draw? In this case, the next draw was the explosion card. Should the DRI have drawn both cards together before revealing them? Or does that second draw stay on top of the deck for the SPAD to draw?

I played it like the DRI was supposed to take both cards before viewing them.

Looking back on it, a face to face game would have probably seen 2 cards dealt to the DRI and 2 cards to the SPAD, and then reveal all four cards and apply their effects. That way there is no reshuffling between the DRI demise and the SPAD draw. I'm not sure though.

Thoughts?

If playing face to face, I always offer my opponent "first pair or second pair?"

I haven't played any solo games yet, but when I do I will probably cut an uninvolved deck, higher draws first.

I suppose drawing cards "you-me-you-me" is equally fair, cutting the uninvolved deck to determine whether "you" or "me" draws first.

In solo games I roll dice to get the shooting order. In games I run I just pass them out to whoever needs them, usually starting from one side of the board.

For simultaneous shots I will deal out all the cards to both before seeing the damage.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 10-08-2015 at 14:27.

Lightbulb

At our games club we give "one for you & one for me" for double damage & alternate who gets the first card.
    If there is multiple aircraft firing we usually pull all the cards & move them round in a fan & let everyone pick.

One for you one for me is how we do it , one combat at a time

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    If there is multiple aircraft firing we usually pull all the cards & move them round in a fan & let everyone pick.
    Pick your own poison!

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybear View Post
    One for you one for me is how we do it , one combat at a time
    That's how I draw in solo matches. But the results are simultaneous.
    Whether the aircraft is just at its limit or 3 over doesn't matter.

They're all dead, Dave*

* Hollie from Red Dwarf, Episode 1 "The End"

welcome to the drome Brian!!!! we usually agree to what were going to do at the moment of truth (ie give or receive, 2 at once or alternating) either way all 4 cards should be dealt out before damage takes effect.

All the answers you have been given are valid Brian - there is no rule or convention !

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    Question 1) Who draws first? I know it doesn't really matter because the cards are unknown so its still random, but is there a rule or convention that is followed so there are no "this should have been your card" arguments?
    In the situation where both are able to fire in a solo game I will usually have the scenarios 'attacking' side pick first. This way whatever the situation I know which side gets the first card.

Quote Originally Posted by brdavis View Post
    Question 2) What happens to the second DRI draw? In this case, the next draw was the explosion card. Should the DRI have drawn both cards together before revealing them? Or does that second draw stay on top of the deck for the SPAD to draw? I played it like the DRI was supposed to take both cards before viewing them...
    The second draw is pulled as that is the damage applied to the target for the close range shot - bad day for the Spad - so you played it correctly.

"He is wise who watches"

LOOP

For me it is all random. Sometimes "one for you - one for me" sometimes "two to me and two to you"
    Hopefully the damage deck is not marked and you can't really know which card is a zero and which is an explosion.
    I do, however, deal out all cards before revealing them so even if an aircraft would have been shot down on the first card it will allways get the second as well.
    I don't think there is a right or wrong. Choose something that works for you.

LOOP

Oh, and welcome to the Drome, Brian

In these situations, I'm highly in favor of treating my opponent as the Beatle's taxman.

(For those youg'uns out there, the chorus of the referenced song was, "Let me tell you how it will be. That's one for you, 19 for me. 'Cause I'm the taxman...")

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    (For those youg'uns out there, the chorus of the referenced song was, "Let me tell you how it will be. That's one for you, 19 for me. 'Cause I'm the taxman...")
    There's a blast from the past... Though I'm not sure I like the idea of taking 19 damage cards to my opponent's 1!

Similar Missions

1. Spad XIII Baracca (card) question
    By wbfritze in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 10:35
  2. Bomber card question
    By Baxter in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 03:30
  3. Damage Card Draw: Once per turn..?
    By Volstagg in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 4