Ares Games

Thread: Mission 6: Ground Attack!

Default Mission 6: Ground Attack!

France, 1917

Dear Mother and Father,

There has been fierce work for us this week, make no mistake!

Following our successful attack on the Allied aircraft flight, we were immediately sent into the air again. With so many enemy planes in the air during the offensive of the past few days, Command decided to take a bold gamble and attack the nearby French ground positions, gambling that air support would be spread too thin to respond to a lightning raid by our Jasta 11.

Once again, our strike team consisted of myself, Ziegert, Von Klepperman and M. We took off just before dawn, and climbed above the clouds. As the sun rose, we scanned the horizon, but there was no sign of hostile aircraft. Command’s gamble seemed to have paid off—a great relief to us, as we were the ones at the sharp end of the spear, so to speak!

After forty minute’s flight, we descended through the clouds toward our target — a pair of Caquot M observer balloons being raised aloft by their crews. Without air cover, these great motionless giants were tempting targets, indeed — but they were far from undefended! We saw French infantry below, looking like tiny scurrying ants as they took position in fortified machine gun emplacements. To our consternation, not only did the ground bristle with multiple machine guns, but the defenders had set up a heavy 75 mm antiaircraft gun between our two targets.

After a hasty exchange of hand signals, we agreed on a plan of attack. As my Albatros was the swiftest of our fighters, it fell to me to attack and destroy the antiaircraft gun—potentially our most dangerous target. Von Klepperman and M. swing to attack the northernmost infantry entrenchment while Ziegert moved to attack the closest balloon. It was our hope that by concentrating our attack along the northernmost side of the enemy position, we could destroy two-thirds of their ability to engage us, then pick off the balloons and remaining infantry after gaining the advantage.

We could see frantic activity on the ground as we approached, and crewmembers began winching the balloons downwards as we lined up for our attack runs. We would have to destroy them before they were brought to earth. The clock was ticking!

Giving “Lotti” full power, I descended at speed toward the antiaircraft battery. Properly aimed and sighted, its shells could have destroyed any of our planes with one blow — but these guns are painfully slow to reload and difficult to aim. Indeed, I think my refusal to break off as they frantically took aim at me helped me, for they panicked and by the time the shell detonated in mid-air, I was far ahead of it, and well within gun range. I reduced altitude steadily until the battery was almost under me, then fired a long burst into their position. As I shot past, I pulled back on the control stick, looped into an Immelman and prepared for a second pass. The surviving crew were frantically trying to reload—but their gun was in the wrong position now and could not be brought around in time. A second shell spun crazily into the air, detonating well off-target as my second volley silenced the 75 mm. While successful, please know that I took no great satisfaction in this — it was necessary for the mission, but I admit I am more comfortable with a straightforward contest of skill in the skies.

In the meantime, Von Klepperman had approached the north gun emplacement and was taking heavy fire. This is one of the most dangerous positions for a pilot, as many good men have fallen to a stray shot from a lucky poilu on the ground. Luckily, his Pfalz is a stout fighter and M., following close behind in a Fokker Dr. I, was not noticed by the soldiers on the ground until it was too late. M. and Von Klepperman made fast work of the gun positions after two or three tight passes. The infantry position to the south was out of range — so we had a clear run to attack the balloons!

Ziegert, in his own triplane, set up for a careful volley against the first balloon…and his guns jammed! Again! (His chief mechanic got a double earful later, I assure you!) Pulling up to gain altitude, he left the lion’s share of the work to Von Klepperman, who brought his Pfalz around and began firing long bursts along the balloon’s right flank. With a few additional volleys from M. and myself, the balloon began to smolder, then ignite under Kleppi’s relentless attack.

Meanwhile, Ziegert, having cleared his Spandaus, found himself well past the northern balloon, and decided to bank and start an attack on the second target instead. Here finally his luck changed! He dove in, guns blazing—and a few moments later, the second balloon erupted in a massive explosion! In the chaos of smoke and flame that followed, the southern infantry position was confused and disoriented — and Ziegert immediately took advantage by diving down and eliminating them.

But time was growing short, and the first balloon, though now burning, had almost reached safety. Ziegert and Von Klepperman converged on it, firing simultaneously, and Kleppi’s last shots caused it to collapse utterly, falling like a burning leaf to earth.

You will be proud to know that not only were our successful missions today and yesterday mentioned in dispatches, but the four of us have each been nominated to receive the Iron Cross! I know you will be pleased to hear this, and I am proud that my service is bringing honor to our family. However, the enemy offensive is continuing, and I am sure we will be going up again soon. I will continue to do my best to watch my back and teach our foes something about the mettle of German pilots.

Your son,
    Wolfram Von Thun-Hohenstein
    Leutnant, Jasta 11

(Game Notes: This was our second game last week, using one of the balloon attack scenarios from “Burning Drachens.” Since we had multiple players, we upped the firepower on the defenders side with additional gun positions and an anti-aircraft battery. Again, quite a bit of fun.)

Magnificent! What a great write up! And you got yourself in a balloon And there was no living human beings to fly against. Like a solo mission with multiple people and all on the same side.

Great AAR David. You have a great talent for it and it is fun to read. Thanks for sharing. Keep it up....it is like tuning into an old radio serial show from before the days of TV.....what will happen next? Stay Tuned!

These really do add to my work nights! Wish I had you in my group to pen the tells or our adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Hajj View Post
    These really do add to my work nights! Wish I had you in my group to pen the tells or our adventures!
    We are lucky to have him in the group. He makes me sound heroic!

I think he would make a fine squadron leader (nudge, nudge)

Another dastardly coup for we chaps of the R.F.C. to avenge on behalf of our gallant allies, the French.
    Superb write up of what was obviously a very enjoyable game. keep them coming David.
    Thanks, Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Bravo, David!! Yet another fantastic write-up!! Your talent for writing is a true joy for the rest of us. Can't wait for the next installment.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZee View Post
    We are lucky to have him in the group. He makes me sound heroic!

I think he would make a fine squadron leader (nudge, nudge)
    With all these missions I'm flying, where would I find the time?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbiter View Post
    With all these missions I'm flying, where would I find the time?
    A true leader leads from the front. Of course you fly alot of missions!

(Don't argue with me, or I'll be forced to speak with my attorney. )

Quote Originally Posted by DaveZee View Post
    A true leader leads from the front. Of course you fly alot of missions!

(Don't argue with me, or I'll be forced to speak with my attorney. )
    Wait a minute...You ARE your attorney!

Good report David! I personally like to fight planes not soldiers. But still a great fight nonetheless.

By the way..

(From: Mission 5: Action over Peronne)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero825 View Post
    Sorry I haven't posted about your mission reports before. They truly are amazing. Be expecting more replies . . . soon
    ...told you to be expecting more.

Hunter
    Last edited by Aero825; 10-22-2010 at 16:51.

Similar Missions

1. WGS: Ground Attack booster
    By Oberst Hajj in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 17:03
  2. German Ground Attack on British Tank Assault
    By krolik in forum WGF: Mission Discussions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 12:18
  3. Ground targets
    By Haystack in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 5