Ares Games

Thread: OTTED Mission 13: The Hunter in the Skies! - Jan 15th 1917

Default OTTED Mission 13: The Hunter in the Skies! - Jan 15th 1917

“What do you mean herr Oberst, you can’t be serious! This British ace has shot down 8 aircraft in the last 3 days. 2 of them Jasta leaders like yourself.”
    “Well Sidweg, I feel it is either my time or it is ....my time. I will hear no more of it. You are in charge until I return and no mention of this to the rest of the Jasta ok?”
    “Ok, herr Oberst. If only I wasn't wounded we could take to the skies together”.
    "Thank you for that Sidweg, but this is a job for me alone. Anyway it would be unsporting, how do the British call it? Ah yes Not cricket to have 2 onto 1. Don't wish me luck it may bring me bad luck. See you soon Sidweg".

It was early dawn as Oberst Ludwig von Bietruttoffen climbed into his Albatros DII. he wold have preferred his DIII but they had been withdrawn temporarily due to mechanical and structural defects! He made ready for take-off and within minutes he was climbing and circling to gain altitude for he had a plan. The enemy ace had made all his kills over British territory. To enable him to gain height and be in the right place at the right time he must have advance warning of lone German aircraft. He would then dive down from behind and mostly in one pass shoot down the unsuspecting pilot.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	d11.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	177866

Ludwig gained 10,000ft and headed obliquely towards the trench line. As he neared he switched off his engine turned 90 degrees to the right and slowly descended across no-man’s land using clouds to cover his silent flight.

He strained his ears to hear any noise but either he had already crossed no-man’s land or everyone was fast asleep. He saw a break in the clouds and knew he was far over enemy territory, too far for what he intended so he banked right to head back to the front lines and started his engine. And nothing! Damn what a time for the engine not to start....he tried again. In fact it was only on the 4th attempt that his engine spluttered into life but he was well below cloud cover and dangerously close to the ground. In fact it was this fact that warned him of the danger closing in from behind. Glancing down he caught the shadow of a fast approaching aircraft behind him. He didn’t glance back but counted to 5 then banked hard left

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 002 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	177867

Diving towards the ground the shadow disappeared. The tailing enemy, a Sopwith Pup, had looped round and was heading away from him.

Name:	pup 1.jpg 
Size:	7.7 KB 
ID:	177870

‘I’ll turn, climb and be on this novice before he realises I’m there’, thought Ludwig.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 004 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	177868

But this was no mere novice; this was Captain George, ‘Geordie’, O’hare. He had seen the Albatros turn away from him and his maneuver had coaxed the Hun back towards him. Geordie banked left and prepared to claim his 9th victim in 3 days!

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 005 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	177869

Opening shots went wide of each other as both pilots maneuvered out of harms way. Geordie realised this was no novice Hun but a competent pilot but still no match for him.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 007 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	142.7 KB 
ID:	177871

Both pilots used their combat skill and experience and the dogfight heated up. Both threw their aircraft in opposite directions as they closed and nearly collided trying to gain an advantage.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 010 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	121.7 KB 
ID:	177872

Out turning Ludwig, Geordie got the first telling blow in as his vickers machine gun erupted a stream of bullets into the Albatros now in his sights! Then he heard the fatal, click, click, click. His single vickers had jammed!

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 011 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	177873

Ludwig threw his plane into a looping turn as the Pup passed beneath him.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 013 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	120.6 KB 
ID:	177874

Gun cleared they headed away and both looped and closed, head to head. Ludwig’s Albatros reeled under the deadly fire from the Pup as all of his bullets went wide! (Lucky Git 1!)

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 017 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	121.4 KB 
ID:	177875

Turning as quick as he could Ludwig managed to get the pup in his sights and returned the favour he received not long before....this time there was no escaping his bullets as they shredded the fuselage behind Geordie.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 018 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	140.2 KB 
ID:	177876

‘Well he certainly knows his stuff..now to finish this and get home for a cup of tea’. He turned quickly to the left, catching Ludwig out. ‘This British pilot is good, but is he good enough?. ‘ Ludwig thought to himself.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 019 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	177877

Ludwig had missed the British pilot changing direction so banked as hard as he could to maintain an advantage.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 020 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	177878

He couldn’t turn as tightly as the pup. So preparing to loop he saw the pup about to do the same thing, ‘damn, it was maneuverable’.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 021 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	177879

Unable to clear the jam quickly as he maneuvered through the loop George was at a disadvantage, Ludwig saw his chance and let out a long range shot.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 023 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	177880

Suddenly the pup turned right in front of him and he blasted the enemy from that close he could almost touch the other aircraft with his hand.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 025 (640x360).jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	177888

Both aircraft circled each other, they both knew this was it..one of them was going down.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 026 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	177881

It was the agile maneuvering of the Pup that was Geordie’s downfall. His turn was to tight and the Albatros was just out of his sights, ‘next time round Fritz’ he thought as he saw the swirl of tracer heading towards his plane. ‘Damn, he’s got me!’. Were Geordie’s last words that day!

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 027 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	145.0 KB 
ID:	177882Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 028 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	177883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 029 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	177884

Geordie threw the Pup this way and that but some of the bullets found their mark and the pup spiraled towards the ground. (I took Lucky git II and got rid of the 3+pilot wound card).

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 030 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	177885

Ludwig circled then headed for home. Mission accomplished, until the next time......

The Butcher Bill:

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 032 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	177886

Captain George ‘Geordie’ O’Hare: SD/FT/13 damage
    Top row at +1 = 5 (disregard 3+pilot wound card)
    Bottom row normal = 8
    Turned over cards 9 cards of ammo left.

Name:	Ace v Ace mission 13 033 (640x360).jpg 
Size:	165.2 KB 
ID:	177887

Oberst Ludwig von Bietruttoffen: RTB/8 damage/1 kill

Top row at +1 = 6
    Bottom row normal = 2
    Turned over cards 6 cards of ammo left.

Summary:

1. Great mission, even with the AI solo the Pup nearly had me from the off. It was 7 damage to nil, to the pup until I got behind him, even then it was dicey!
    2. Used limited ammo, worked really well. At close range the 2nd card came from the general deck respectively the 1st from the ammo cards allocated randomly to each plane.
    3. Drew 12 cards per plane at start to simulate restricted ammo.
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 10-17-2015 at 13:55.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Geordie came to slowly, something was wrong...what was it..? As his vision cleared he grasped what it was. The ground was where the sky should be..!
    He brought his head to his chest and peered upward into the cockpit of what was left of his Pup. 'Well I suppose it was a landing of sorts' he thought. He was hanging from the rope around his waist, he managed to brace himself and loosened the rope; there was an ominous crack and he, along with his seat parted company with the Pup, falling into a crumpled heap below the fuselage. 'Lucky, damned lucky' he mused. He glanced up and gave a rueful grin as his opponent buzzed away into the distance. He was good. Maybe next time....

Captain George ‘Geordie’ O’Hare: Rolled 7 +2Ace -1SD = 8 Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario

Neatly done Neil !

"He is wise who watches"

Dave the first half of the mission the Pup was all over me like a bad rash. Just couldn't turn fast enough and he was hitting me hard. Then the tables turned and I was lucky.

Does this mean von Bietruttoffen may get a second ace skill?

signed, hopeful
    Last edited by Lt. S.Kafloc; 10-06-2015 at 13:25.

Another well crafted mission report Neil.
    I loved your commentary and explaining of the ammo situation.
    Must put that in my mission if I ever catch up.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Very dramatic encounter there Neil.
    Had me on the edge of my seat.
    Young Geordie is indeed a "Lucky Git"!

Neil I must congratulate you on both the Aircraft in the AAR. Great modelling & I love the streamers on the D.II

Excellent read, Neil - and well photographed as well.

I really like the terrain you are using - much better than the WoG maps I have. Makes it really come alive.

Nice one Neil. Very touch and go and a great comeback for Ludwig. Nice to see the Ace get his after he had gunned down my pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Dave the first half of the mission the Pup was all over me like a bad rash. Just couldn't turn fast enough and he was hitting me hard. Then the tables turned and I was lucky. Does this mean von Bietruttoffen may get a second ace skill? signed, hopeful
    Dear hopeful, apologies, got distracted, have been pondering this issue, I think Beetroot was taken aback a little by the agility of the enemy but has learned from the experience and after a little practice has achieved Acrobatic Pilot I - Pilot can perform Immelmann w/o playing a straight after it - once every two turns as his skill.

Great photography, lovely mat, superb models, that detail on the Alb is wunderbar btw, great story, well fought.. only point to make is the Pup is armed with a Vickers not a Lewis so no drum changes required !

"He is wise who watches"

LOOP

Great photos and storytelling!

That Pup was not a walk in the park....

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    I love the streamers on the D.II
    +1

Point taken Dave. As I looked back through all the pictures I took, I took one every card, the pup was not in range or no arc to fire if he could when I had him reloading. Of course the jammed counters still come into play but other than that I think I covered it all ok.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Dear hopeful, apologies, got distracted, have been pondering this issue, I think Beetroot was taken aback a little by the agility of the enemy but has learned from the experience and after a little practice has achieved Acrobatic Pilot I - Pilot can perform Immelmann w/o playing a straight after it - once every two turns as his skill.

Great photography, lovely mat, superb models, that detail on the Alb is wunderbar btw, great story, well fought.. only point to make is the Pup is armed with a Vickers not a Lewis so no drum changes required !

The mat has been on loan and I've just got it back. The altitude perspective is around 1500-2000ft. So ideal for me for this kind of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Excellent read, Neil - and well photographed as well.

I really like the terrain you are using - much better than the WoG maps I have. Makes it really come alive.

The DII is a shapeways, the streamers are just the thinest wire I could find. Drilled holes in the wing with a very fine bit, threaded trough then twisted and painted. The DII is a direct copy from the Osprey Jasta 2 book and is plate 5, Oswald Boelcke which shows the streamers in place.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Very dramatic encounter there Neil.
    Had me on the edge of my seat.
    Young Geordie is indeed a "Lucky Git"!

Neil I must congratulate you on both the Aircraft in the AAR. Great modelling & I love the streamers on the D.II

Another great AAR Neil - and a hard-won victory for von Bietruttoffen

Looks like Wor Geordie's lost his benka Nice looking planes Neil and a great running commentary

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Dave cheers for pointing out the lewis/vickers mistake. I have changed the text to reflect this oversight of mine.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTT ED Mission 13: The Hunter in the Skies! - Jan 15th 1917
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 10:21
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-20-2015, 12:12
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-18-2015, 07:51
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-18-2015, 07:33