Ares Games

Thread: Joseph Frank "Fritz" Wehner

Default Joseph Frank "Fritz" Wehner

Does anyone know, or could dig through books, to find the plane number of Joseph Frank "Fritz" Wehner.
    Joseph Frank Wehner was Frank Luke Jr.'s wingman and good friend in the 27th Aero Sqn.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    Does anyone know, or could dig through books, to find the plane number of Joseph Frank "Fritz" Wehner.
    Joseph Frank Wehner was Frank Luke Jr.'s wingman and good friend in the 27th Aero Sqn.

Thanks.
    Still looking for squadron ID, but he was shot down (KIA) on 18 Sep 1918 in serial #7555.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Still looking for squadron ID, but he was shot down (KIA) on 18 Sep 1918 in serial #7555.
    You are a gentleman, thank you.

Found it! 27th Aero SPAD S.XIII #21, Serial #7555.

From Terror of the Autumn Skies: The True Story of Frank Luke, America's Rogue Ace of World War I, by Blaine Pardoe.

For those unfamiliar with Wehner, he was shot down by Ltn Georg von Hantelmann of Jasta 15 (his 16th) while flying top cover for Luke. Wehner was apparently killed instantly, and his SPAD's fuel tank was punctured. He fell behind German lines, and was buried by German infantry outside of Thionville.

Wehner was posthumously awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster (marking his 2nd award) to his DFC, and credited with either 5 or 6 victories, depending upon the source.
    Last edited by fast.git; 10-04-2015 at 10:43. Reason: Added info about Wehner's death.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Good work - saves me trying to figure it out later. :-) I wonder if that's Blaine Pardoe the sci-fi author - can't be a common name....

There is a great deal about the 27th Aero Squadron on this website http://www.reocities.com/Athens/acro...133/index.html
    but it does not give the numbers of the planes each pilot flew except that Frank Luke Jnr flew number 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    Good work - saves me trying to figure it out later. :-) I wonder if that's Blaine Pardoe the sci-fi author - can't be a common name....
    Same person, so far as I know... he has written science fiction, military non-fiction, true crime, paranormal, and business management titles.

I subsequently found this extract from 'Terror of the Autumn Skies' https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...Wehner&f=false

Joe Wehner flew SPAD number 21, serial number S7555.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Found it! 27th Aero SPAD S.XIII #21, Serial #7555.

From Terror of the Autumn Skies: The True Story of Frank Luke, America's Rogue Ace of World War I, by Blaine Pardoe.

For those unfamiliar with Wehner, he was shot down by Ltn Georg von Hantelmann of Jasta 15 (his 16th) while flying top cover for Luke. Wehner was apparently killed instantly, and his SPAD's fuel tank was punctured. He fell behind German lines, and was buried by German infantry outside of Thionville.

Wehner was posthumously awarded an Oak Leaf Cluster (marking his 2nd award) to his DFC, and credited with either 5 or 6 victories, depending upon the source.
    Again, Sir, you are a gentleman. Thank you.
    Now to try and find a suitable decal, or work out how to make it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    Again, Sir, you are a gentleman. Thank you.
    My pleasure, sir.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 07:12
  2. National Derby 29th: "Where's my wingman?" "Taking pictures Sir"
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-03-2013, 06:33
  3. National: 4 NUOVE ESPANSIONI "CUSTOM" per "Wing of Glory"
    By mumo in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 04-09-2013, 12:58
  4. WGF & WGS: Wings of Glory at "Etna Comics" and "Settimo in Gioco" (Italy, September 2012)
    By Angiolillo in forum Site News and Announcements
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-13-2012, 09:19
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2012, 02:39