Ares Games

Thread: Confessions of a Traitor

Default Confessions of a Traitor

Dearest Mother and Father,

I write this letter with a heavy heart. As you both well know, I have served the German Empire and its cause during this most difficult time of war. I have faithfully climbed into the cockpit of whatever crate the Fatherland has provided me with time and time again in order to expidite the end of this conflict. But my heart is heavy and I have disgraced my family and country.

I had heard rumors of a new aeroplane the English were bringing to the fight that would help them achive victory in the air but we all know rumors can be quite missleading at times. Fellow pilots who had faced it, claimed this dread new machine could outrun any of our crates. This magic machine could turn on a dime to the right or left and even slide to the left or right with such violence and speed of action, one dare not try to duplicate the maneuver for fear of losing a wing. One pilot told me the English plane could dive without fear of damage and it was near impossible to chase after the craft if the pilot chose to leave the fight.

I must confess that I wished this magic craft had been created by our side of the conflict. Soon after I witnessed this most magnificent aeroplane in action with my own eyes. I'm lucky to have even survived the encounter, everything I had heard was true. The Englishman and his plane danced around me at will, striking here and there, until my plane was full of holes. It was like a cat who had cornered a mouse and playfully batted it around at will, waiting until the very end to finish off and devour it's prey!

I used my last and most dangerous trick to escape the clutches of this Englishman and his wonder plane. I threw my battered craft into a spin and feigned death as I hurttled toward the ground. At the last possible moment I recovered my craft and discovered my ruse had worked. The Englishman believed I was lost so he headed home in victory. This was the moment I knew what I was really fighting each day for.

I thought my motives were duty, country, and honor but no, this was not the case. I realized for the first time I was consumed with a desire to be the best ace in the war. I did not really care who won or who lost but rather I was there flying and fighting each day to be the best. At that moment, I knew that I had to fly that glorious English machine, no matter what the cost. Since my battered craft and I were behind enemy lines, I landed in a nearby field and put distance between me and my machine. I ditched my uniform and clothed myself in a pair of common trousers and shirt.

For berevity, I will skip the subtle details of my ruse but I was able to walk onto an English Aerodrome and pass myself off as a new pilot reporting for duty. Thanks to all those years we spent in England when I was a boy, my English was unquestioned by the men at the base. Alas, my time had come. Finally I was granted a machine worthy of my talents. I climbed into the cockpit of a beautiful RAF S.E.5a and my new life began.

My first sortie was a two man defensive patrol. As we climed to a modest altitude....oh how my machine climbed! We encountered a pair of Pfalz D.IIIa's, a craft I was all too familiar with. At first my heart sank knowing my fellow Germans were behind the controls of those two Pfalz D.III's but then as we closed with them and the first burst were fired, my desire to be the greatest pilot of the war took hold.

Soon we had converged and everyone was maneuvering for the kill. My wingman was struck on the first pass and as bad luck would have it, his machine began to burn. He stayed in the fight though, confident in his S.E.5a. I began a series of climbes and and climbing turns to get above my opponents. My new plane and I became one as I mastered both opponents outmaneuvering and peppering them with bullets at will. In the fury and confusion I narrowly escaped death as one of the Pfalz pilots clipped my machine with his. The damage was light and the ruggedness of the S.E.5a kept me aloft.

I caught sight of my wingman and noted his flames had gone out. He was locked in a head on pass with the same Pfalz I was approaching from broadside. We converged and fired at the same time, sending my poor countryman to his death. The loss was bittersweet because in that same pass, the brave German pilot managed to hit my wingman and bring him down as well. Of course I had no sympathy for my English wingman and I was glad to know I could call the victory over the Pfalz my own.

As I turned my S.E.5a around to meet my last opponent head on, I knew that I would win the day. As we passed and fired at each other, my bullets found their mark and his did not. His crippled craft fell away and smashed into the ground ending the German pilots life. At that moment I knew my life as a pilot for the German Empire was over and my new life was just begining.

I'm most sorry, Mother and Father. I wish things were different but they are not. Know that I will fly and fight with honor and as long as the English produce aeroplanes like the S.E.5a, I will fight on their side.

Your loving son.

(My wife is my regular WOW opponent and she always flies for the Allied powers and I fly for the Central powers. I'm not sure in the last few years if I have ever flown any of the Entente planes in WOW. We just received our series 4 planes last week and last night was the first chance we had to fly them. My wife graciuosly agreed to let me fly the RAF S.E5a's and I loved them. We had a great time and I look forward to mastering the unique traits of the S.E.5a. By the way, I thought the Pfalz D.III's made a good showing too. My wife did manage to shoot down one of my S.E.5a's!)

Traitor!!

Great story. I'm looking forward to hearing more (although I hope your wife shoots you down for your treachery!! )

A plot worthy of Hollywood!

Great story, Ryan!! Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. But now you need to face off your SE5's against some Fokker D.VII's. I can't WAIT to read that post mission write-up!!

Scott

Your right Scott, the day is coming when my dishonorable, defecting, dispicable Ex-German pilot will rue the day he left the German Air Service. You never know, he may just pull the same shenanigans and un-defect back to the German side to fly those beautiful Fokker D.VII's. His Motto is "I'm in it to win it!"

Quote Originally Posted by rkhlegacy View Post
    Your right Scott, the day is coming when my dishonorable, defecting, dispicable Ex-German pilot will rue the day he left the German Air Service. You never know, he may just pull the same shenanigans and un-defect back to the German side to fly those beautiful Fokker D.VII's. His Motto is "I'm in it to win it!"
    Nick the plane, fly it back to Hunland and collect the gratitude of your nation, the Keizer geezer, and probably a plastic Macks. That's in case it rains on your parade. You dastardly Fritz, you.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

That's it Rob! I can see it now, Parades, autographs, even a meeting with the Kaiser! Then a flashy custom paint job for my newly acquired RAF S.E.5a! Why defect when you can just sneak over, steal the plane, fly back and make it your own! I think Clint Eastwood made a movie like that called "Firefox".

The only problem I see with it is the Germans will probably take it away and give it to Richthofen, Voss, Udet, Jacobs, Loewenhardt, or some other worthy ace and that my friend would just be unacceptable!

Oh, the infamy, Ryan! The infamy!!!!! Betraying the Fatherland like that!

Clearly the "S.E." in "S.E.5a" stands for "Seductively Evil!"

I'm surprised that the fliers from the Fatherland have not been demanding that you give up your Albatros avatar!

I think there has been no demand that I give up my Albatros avatar because as David so aptly put it, the S.E. in S.E.5a stands for seductively evil. I believe many of my fellow fliers from the Fatherland have similar feelings towards the S.E.5a and if not that aeroplane, I dare say one of the Sopwith crates or maybe even a Spad. It may be hard to find anyone who has not at the very least dreamed of flying for the opposing side.

Quote Originally Posted by rkhlegacy View Post
    one of the Sopwith crates
    The Camel a crate?! A crate!!!!!!

Traitor of the Fatherland! It's okay though, I fly SPADs every other weekend. Great AAR!

Ryan,

You could claim to be a double agent just finding out how the SE 5A handles and compares to the other planes. Which could mean you get awarded loads of medels from both the King and Kaiser.

But the real question is will your wife let you fly it again or is it now firmly on her side of the table in future battles?

Cheers Aled

Just get an S.E.5a and spalsh on some paint and a couple of crosses... the Kaiser will forgive you but the enemy won't... and it will really screw up the target recognition books!

Aled, my wife was gracious enough to let me fly the S.E.5a's again in a dogfight we just wrapped up a few minutes ago. I wanted to pit the S.E.5a's against the Fokker D.VII's. My wife flew the Fokker's for the first time and only splashed one of the S.E.5a's. Ryan=, Allison (My Wife)=

We are planning an air battle tonight where I will dutifully serve the Fatherland once again in a trio of Rumplers and she will take up the S.E.5a's for the first time. We will see if she becomes possessive of the S.E.'s after tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamburger View Post
    Traitor of the Fatherland! It's okay though, I fly SPADs every other weekend. Great AAR!
    Hey Charlie, I knew this post would reveal some other part time traitors. I knew I was not alone.