Ares Games

Thread: Keeping minis straight

Default Keeping minis straight

As I'm getting ready to order my first set of minis, I thought I would ask - how do you guys keep straight what each of the various plane types is, unless you have the 'official' minis and store them on their included bases that tell what kind of plane it is? Some of them, I think I would know pretty easily - but then there are some that I don't think I would be able to distinguish just by looking at them (several of the WW2 planes for Japan and Germany, for example).

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by AZTiger98 View Post
    As I'm getting ready to order my first set of minis, I thought I would ask - how do you guys keep straight what each of the various plane types is, unless you have the 'official' minis and store them on their included bases that tell what kind of plane it is? Some of them, I think I would know pretty easily - but then there are some that I don't think I would be able to distinguish just by looking at them (several of the WW2 planes for Japan and Germany, for example).
    As I have been acquiring Official for Wings of Glory WGS I have been deciding on what I would like and then learning the aircrafts' characteristics from memory. This is why I think starting off with the Official is the best way forward because then it is possible to see how things in WGS context compare with facts in a real world context. This has helped me greatly as when it came to acquiring the Wings of War it was a far more hit and miss process. I had to take what was available and when. My interest in WW2 aviation began in 2003 and is quite extensive - however when I mention how things are in a WGS context for example a Messerschmitt Bf.109E was able to loiter over some parts of southern England during the Battle of Britain for just seven minutes ... In WGS this does not apply unless you wish to play with Fuel Rules (Advanced Rules.) Also in WGS context a Bristol Beaufighter can perform an Immelmann whereas I have never heard of this being done in a real Beaufighter: A Chandelle - yes but Chandelles are not in the Rules.

As you get a feel for the characteristics of earlier war aircraft <-> more manoeuverability less firepower and later war aircraft <-> more speed more firepower and also the characteristics of twin-engine aircraft & bigger this is the key to branching out into DIY such as Shapeways and AIM. However these two ranges also require painting and equipping for gameplay: Mounting them on gimbal stands such as the ones available from AA is easy enough. So you will require an aircraft card and have to know which manoeuver deck the aircraft uses. If you are able to find the correct manoeuver deck that is although it is not impossible.

As your collection begins I hope you have fun acquiring for Wings of Glory as IMHO this is an integral part of what the game is all about. I mentioned AA earlier on - stocks there are looking good all round at the moment. But it's the Wings of War a k a Nexus Games you will find you have to seize opportunities with or bear with acquiring until they become available on E-Bay.
    Last edited by Tonx; 10-02-2015 at 10:19. Reason: Typo!

So, would you potentially suggest (for example) saying that for gaming purposes, there is no "visible" difference between a Spitfire I and Spitfire II, or a Me109e and a Me109f? That would certainly help in situations where there were multiple versions of the same plane made...I would just buy one version and then use the cards to distinguish what was being used. I guess my primary worry is more things like how to tell a Hien apart from a Zero (as both are fighters, and both appear to me to be very similar in appearance from their card pictures)...or other instances where two different plane types look almost exactly alike. Definitely getting at least SOME of the 'real' minis, but will eventually be trying to branch to have enough for squadrons.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

So, would you potentially suggest (for example) saying that for gaming purposes, there is no "visible" difference between a Spitfire I and Spitfire II, or a Me109e and a Me109f?

I guess my primary worry is more things like how to tell a Hien apart from a Zero (as both are fighters, and both appear to me to be very similar in appearance from their card pictures)...or other instances where two different plane types look almost exactly alike.
    From the appearance of the Supermarine Spitfire Mk I (Nexus Games) and the Spitfire Mk II (also Nexus) there is virtually no difference at all - only the liveries. They also use the same manoeuver decks and have the same firepower capability. The Messerschmitt examples I'm not so sure of as Nexus only manufactures the Bf.109E and I am aware of the Bf.109F being different: Hopefully somebody else may know.

With the Mitsubishi A6M2 Reisen or Zero and the Kawasaki Ki-61-I-Hien the differences are quite extensive though they may look the same from the top-down / card view. The two regular release (there is a third but it is only available in the WW2 Starter Set which is now out of production) Ki-61 Hiens themselves differ in terms of firepower - the green edition is the only aircraft in WW2 / WGS which fires D Damage Tokens. It's characteristic differences which you need to familiarise yourself with as these aircraft types come into your collection but this type of knowledge does end up becoming second nature to you - be assured. All part of learning the game as thoroughly as you and I both would like to.

In terms of top-down & card views I can't think of any other such similarities as your Zero and Hien example. Also just in case you were not already aware Nexus Games (Wings of War) manufactured the Zero whilst Ares Games (Wings of Glory) manufactures the Hein. Hein still readily available except for version exclusive to WW2 Starter Set.

It all depends on how you intend to transport/store your planes.

Some folks keep their "official" minis in the boxes they came in - complete with stand, pegs and deck'n'plane card.
    Any number of these can be fitted into whichever rucksack/cardboard box you intend to use as the primary carrier.

I use the foam tray system by Kaiser Rushforth. Card boxes (or metal, if you prefer) which can hold a certain number of trays (8 or 16 being the most common)
    Each tray can hold 4 planes + their pegs, decks, plane cards and bases, or 8 planes only. In this instance, I pack 8 planes of the same type and put the bases/plane cards/pegs in a business card box, carried separately.

Keith produces and sells Hangar Trays on Aerodrome Accessories, which do the same job, but I don't personally have any (KR got to me first!).

With any tray system of your choice, simply place multiples of the same plane type in a given tray; only mix them if the two mixed types look RADICALLY different!
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 10-02-2015 at 13:46.

KR trays in use for squadrons, and, in the background, individual plane types + cards, base, pegs & decks.
    Name:  DSCF0147.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  216.2 KB
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 10-02-2015 at 13:47.

wgs minis i store in their box so its not a problem. wgf i store in trays with their respective cards and bases so its easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    KR trays in use for squadrons, and, in the background, individual plane types + cards, base & decks.
    Name:  DSCF0147.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  216.2 KB
    WOW! thats an impressive air fleet tim!!!!

That's not the half of it...................

Seriously, that's only WW1 Germany; that's less than half of it

help!

If you intend to keep your collection small (good luck with that ), then I would keep them in the box they come in.
    Otherwise, invest in some trays that the 'Drome store sells, or other maker. However, the big advantage of the ones Keith makes is that the planes, bases and cards are all stored together. Very important, that.
    As for similar looking models, you can get away with some differences. While there would be a noticeable difference between a Bf-109E and F (or G or K), at 1/200, it's small enough that only a purist would complain.
    Similarly for the various models of P-40, Zero or Hurricane. Sometime, I (or maybe Zoe) can list what visually similar planes we discussed in committee.

help!
    Seriously, Tim, I feel your pain
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Thanks, guys. BTW, I'm not planning to keep my collection "small" per se - thinking maybe 6-12 of each type of the 'small' planes (6 for WWII and possibly 12 for WWI) and 1-2 of each type of bomber.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    WOW! thats an impressive air fleet tim!!!!
    +1

Some folks keep their "official" minis in the boxes they came in - complete with stand, pegs and deck'n'plane card.
    Any number of these can be fitted into whichever rucksack/cardboard box you intend to use as the primary carrier.
    This is the method I've found works best-now, keeping them straight in the primary carrier is a challenge. But only if you have a lot f them. That might be a sign of addiction.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Thanks, guys. BTW, I'm not planning to keep my collection "small" per se - thinking maybe 6-12 of each type of the 'small' planes (6 for WWII and possibly 12 for WWI) and 1-2 of each type of bomber.
    I aimed to make a start with at least one of each aircraft edition for WW2 - usually there are three different editions of each type. Bombers-wise there are only two of each type and my priority at the moment is to get two of each edition as you are planning to. Note however there are some WW2 single engine editions which come exclusively with that WW2 Starter Pack only which is now out of production. This applies to a Reggiane Re.2001 Falco II / Kawasaki Ki-61 Hien / P-40E with French markings on it and a Yakovlev Yak-1. WW1-wise I think the same applies with multiples of each aircraft type available with four only available as an equivalent starter set.

BTW - On the whole I leave Official unpainted / unaltered after a recent disaster with a Lancaster which I now use as 3D scenery / crashed aircraft! There are some excellent decal producers around at the moment if you fancy customising any aircraft in 1/200 and 1/144 scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    WW1-wise I think the same applies with multiples of each aircraft type available with four only available as an equivalent starter set.
    Not so.

The Deluxe Edition contained 4 Series 1 planes from the basic 12, all available as individuals:-
    Fokker Dr1 Triplane (red)(von Richthofen)
    Albatros DVa (Udet)
    Sopwith Camel (Barker)
    SPAD XIII (Baracca)

The Revised Deluxe Edition contained the same four plane types, but in different schemes:-
    Fokker Dr1 Triplane (green/red) (von Richthofen)
    Albatros DVa (Baumer)
    Sopwith Camel (Roy Brown)
    SPAD XIII (Frank Luke)

These same four schemes were then re-released in the Duel Packs, Richthofen/Brown and Baumer/Luke, but never as individuals.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

for that very interesting correction Tim.

I wish the same had been and would be done with the WW2 aircraft - those four exclusives are a pain in the fundament to get hold of & when available I have noticed they come unboxed ...

If you visit your local library, David, they may have some books about WW2 aircraft, which may help you in identifying the difference between different marks of the same aircraft. Also you can do internet searches.

help!
    DAMN!!!!!

Ah, An airman after my own heart
    Check out the discussion on the new trays in the AA section:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...E-Hangar-Trays
    There is some discussion on carry bags and boxes there. I know other threads have discussed this too.
    Seriously, I can't recommend too strongly the virtue of keeping all the components together.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Seriously, I can't recommend too strongly the virtue of keeping all the components together.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Ah, An airman after my own heart
    Karl
    YAY! I'm not alone!

Similar Missions

1. WGF Keeping playing counters and chits organized
    By matt56 in forum Hobby Room
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 03-16-2020, 09:09
  2. No straight maneuvers during the plane is on fire.
    By Marechallannes in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 06-13-2013, 05:19
  3. WGF Trade Minis / Tausche Minis
    By dreckler in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 09:21
  4. Thought this is an interesting read straight from a pilots journal
    By sirosis o liver in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 01:20
  5. Replies: 17