Ares Games

Thread: OTTED Mission 17 : “GAS, GAS, GAS” – 15 May 1917 by Brambo

Default OTTED Mission 17 : “GAS, GAS, GAS” – 15 May 1917 by Brambo

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1.jpg 
Views:	422 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	177627

"We had a new man at the periscope, on this afternoon in question; I was sitting on the fire step, cleaning my rifle, when he called out to me: 'There's a sort of greenish, yellow cloud rolling along the ground out in front, it's coming ---'

Name:	P2.jpg 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	177628

Name:	P3.jpg 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	177629

But I waited for no more, grabbing my bayonet, which was detached from the rifle, I gave the alarm by banging an empty shell case, which was hanging near the periscope. At the same instant, gongs started ringing down the trench, the signal for Tommy to don his respirator, or smoke helmet, as we call it.
    Gas travels quietly, so you must not lose any time; you generally have about eighteen or twenty seconds in which to adjust your gas helmet.

Name:	P4.jpg 
Views:	421 
Size:	8.5 KB 
ID:	177630

Name:	P5.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	177631

A gas helmet is made of cloth, treated with chemicals. There are two windows, or glass eyes, in it, through which you can see. Inside there is a rubber-covered tube, which goes in the mouth. You breathe through your nose; the gas, passing through the cloth helmet, is neutralized by the action of the chemicals. The foul air is exhaled through the tube in the mouth, this tube being so constructed that it prevents the inhaling of the outside air or gas. One helmet is good for five hours of the strongest gas. Each Tommy carries two of them slung around his shoulder in a waterproof canvas bag. He must wear this bag at all times, even while sleeping. To change a defective helmet, you take out the new one, hold your breath, pull the old one off, placing the new one over your head, tucking in the loose ends under the collar of your tunic.

The Mission

Gentlemen we have had an urgent request from HQ. As you know, we are expecting a big push from the enemy any day now and HQ has found out after the initial bombardment it will be followed by a gas attack. Our spies have found out there is a large convoy of gas drums heading to the front today. They couldn’t find out the route but one thing they did find out is that the convoy will pass through this town at 2100.

That’s where you come in, you will takeoff this afternoon and plan to be at that town at the same time as the convoy leaves. I know its a long way behind enemy lines so you only be able to take four bomb each. At the moment we only have two aicraft ready, we are working on the others and they will follow as soon as they are servicble.

Your job is to identify the gas convoy, destroy it and then confirm it has been destroyed and return. You will take this route in and back, if you meet any reinforcements on the way back, wave a green flag if successful and a red one if not. That will let them know if they have to continue to target.

Good luck gentlemen, our troops are relying on you.

Setup

Game length = 12 turns
    2 x mats, long side butted together.

Friendly Forces
    2 x two-seaters, each carrying 4 bombs. If one gets shot down or has left the map another will appear.

Enemy forces
    1 x single-seat fighter. If it gets shot down or leaves the map, another will appear.
    1 x anti-aircraft battery
    6 x Convoy’s

The trucks were in the file section but I can’t find them now, so here is the one I have. Its the same size as an aircraft card.

Name:	P7.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	90.4 KB 
ID:	177633

Name:	P6.jpg 
Views:	416 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	177632

A = Friendly entry edge
    B = Enemy entry edge
    C = Convoy’s set into a circle
    D = Anti-aircraft gun (1 Ruler West of Centre)

SPECIAL RULES

SPOTTING

An aircraft cannot spot and bomb in the same phase.
    To spot you must be within half a ruler of the target. Use the table below to see if you are successful.
    The fading light will have the following effects.
    TURN 1-6 you need a 3,4,5 or 6 on a D6
    TURN 7-9 you need a 4,5, or 6 on a D6
    TURN 10-12 you need a 5 or 6 on a D6
    If you are successful you may look at the underside of the truck to determine its load.

BOMBING

To destroy a target the bomb dot must be over any part of the target. If part of the bomb card is over the target but the dot isn’t then the target may not move next turn.
    Remember you don’t have to spot before you bomb, the choice is yours. If you destroy a target without spotting, mark it but don’t look at it until you spot it or until the end of the game.

CONVOY

Name:	P8.jpg 
Views:	419 
Size:	162.9 KB 
ID:	177634

Before you start mark the back of each convoy with one of the following:
    GAS +50pts
    Troops +25 pts
    Troops +25 pts
    Ammo +25 pts
    POW -50pts
    Hospital -50pts

Then shuffle them and place as per map above.
    1 In the planning turn take any X Deck (XA,B,C or D) shuffle and place one card by each truck. Finish the planning for every aircraft.
    2 In Phase 1 only, turn the X cards over. If it is a Climb or Dive the truck doesn’t move that turn, any other card move the truck. If at any time any part of the truck leaves the map, remove the truck from play, it got away.

ANTI-AIRCRAFT BATTERY

The Anti-aircraft battery is manned by inexperienced soldiers.
    Whenever an aircraft comes into range and the gun is loaded (two rulers) the soldiers will try and identify it.
    TURN 1-6 you need a 4,5 or 6 to correctly identify.
    TURN 7-9 you need a 5 or 6 to correctly identify.
    TURN 10-12 you need a 6 to correctly identify.
    If at any time you throw a 1 the soldiers will fire anyway, friend or foe.

Mission Result

At the end of the 12th turn add the scores up for the convoys that have been destroyed, then ajust as follows:
    +25 enemy aircraft shot down
    -25 Fiendly aircraft shot down

To win you must have identified the Gas Convoy as destroyed and your score must be positive.

Good Luck

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Your Mission Title brings back vivid memories of NBC (Nuclear Biological and Chemical) training in the Armed Forces - gas-gas-gas is still in use today.

Though I'm WGS full-time I am very interested in this mission and will be reading this thread to find out how it goes. Fantastic idea.

Trev pity we didn,t use the gas on Mr Manley and his nasty bug. Good to see you at Doncaster and even better to see this cunning mission.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Nicely done Trev, truck files link is in the rules sticky !

Here is the files page bearing Trucks, Tanks, Guns etc
    Last edited by flash; 09-30-2015 at 23:50.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Well that looks like a real "Doozy" Trev!

Nice one Trev.

Questions... Who spots, pilot or observer or both? Can spotter shoot card before/after spotting? Who drops bombs? Can pilot/observer shoot card before/after dropping a bomb?

Do the trucks move straight or by the 'X' card maneuver, straight, stall, right or left?

Question

One question for Trev!
    What happens if the AA gun does not identify a hostile aircraft?
    I presume it will not fire?

I would suggest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    ..Questions... Who spots, pilot or observer or both?
    Both are capable, nominally it's the observer, but only one throw per move, not two.

Can spotter shoot card before/after spotting?
    Yes -

Who drops bombs?
    The pilot - least ways if the gunner goes down he can press on with the mission. Play wounded observer rule.

Can pilot/observer shoot card before/after dropping a bomb?
    The observer can, the pilot can't as he's going to toggle bombs etc

Do the trucks move straight or by the 'X' card maneuver, straight, stall, right or left?
    Trucks are laagered for the night so not moving - though randomised efforts to drive away once the bombs start to fall might be tolerated... and use the width of a ruler for movement as an X card is like 60mph at least !

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    One question for Trev! What happens if the AA gun does not identify a hostile aircraft? I presume it will not fire?
    Baz I read it as:
    Correctly identified as friend or foe - if identified as friend then no fire, if identified as foe then let him have it.
    Not correctly identified it as friend or foe - if not correctly identified as friend then it is a foe and they fire - if not correctly identified as foe then it is a friend and they hold fire.
    If they roll a 1 they fire regardless.

I'm sure Trev will correct me if this is wrong !

Thanks for the answers Dave, they are all correct apart from the trucks movement. The trucks do move at the beginning of a turn but only in phase one and only if they don't turn over a dive or climb card. Move them as per the card, left, right , straight etc, but i would suggest moving the front of the card to the end of the movement arrow. I leave it up to you guys on how you want to play it. The AA will try to identify the closest ac first and if it can't, will move on to the next until it has attemted to identify all ac in range or until it identyfies an enemy or just fires its gun (thrown a 1). Hope this isn't too confusing.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
    Thanks for the answers Dave, they are all correct apart from the trucks movement. The trucks do move at the beginning of a turn but only in phase one and only if they don't turn over a dive or climb card. Move them as per the card, left, right , straight etc, but i would suggest moving the front of the card to the end of the movement arrow. I leave it up to you guys on how you want to play it. The AA will try to identify the closest ac first and if it can't, will move on to the next until it has attemted to identify all ac in range or until it identyfies an enemy or just fires its gun (thrown a 1). Hope this isn't too confusing.
    So just to confirm Trev: If the AA does not identify a foe it does not fire except if you rolled a 1? Still slightly confused.

Yes you got it Barry, sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Dave.
    Might need to print a couple more trucks off myself.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great, thanks for all the clarifications.

I can see it now, blow up the truck with the gas, set it off and it blows over the POWs and hospital trucks!

I seem to have issues re-sizing stuff to print so my truck cards came out a little large I added a seventh one marked as empty !
    Mission played well & I was going to 'go again' tomorrow with a tweak to the truck movement but apparently I'm now entering a space hulk with a view to an old school cleanse and burn ! Flame On !

Trev, great game to play (just finished AAR to follow). AA gun had two identified targets in range so just rolled to see which one it fired at. Used the, move the truck front to the arrow rule and it worked ok. Also followed the only move the trucks on the 1st card of a turn, worked well too. So did my flying round and round in circles as none of your damn trucks would a: stay still, or b: be where I wanted them to be so I could bomb them. Got a result in the end. But thanks for posting this, was great fun to fly.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Brambo View Post
    See you on the Dark Side......

Similar Missions

1. AAR OTTED Mission 14 - Flash Retrieves the Spy - 14th February 1917
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-18-2015, 10:36
  2. OTTED Mission 14 - February 14th 1917 - Retrieve the Spy !
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2015, 06:18
  3. AAR OTTED Mission 15 - Flashes Hun in the Sun - March 31st 1917
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-04-2015, 12:35
  4. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 06-20-2015, 12:12
  5. AAR OTTED Mission 13: The Hunter in the Skies! - Jan 15th 1917
    By Teaticket in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 13