Ares Games

Thread: OTT ED Mission 16 - Prelude to Arras - April 8th 1917

Default OTT ED Mission 16 - Prelude to Arras - April 8th 1917

(I only had one Pup available and used Nieuport 17s with Pup stats as Pups)

Heinz Wolf (white tail) was first back to the aerodrome though he did not know it. He had been trying to stay with his flight leader Hermann Beck( Red Brumowski) during the air battle but out of nowhere he was attacked from behind and set on fire. Being only his 2nd combat mission, there was no instinct to kick in, just white knuckled panic. First the smoke blinded, then choked him. He then felt the intense heat as the flames engulfed his engine and stretched its hot orange fingers reaching towards him in the cockpit.

Luckily for Heinz his panic saved him as he dove as fast as he could hoping to land before being burned alive. The extreme speed of the dive put out the flames, but not before extensive damage had been done to his Albatros.

When he leveled off at the tree tops he looked up but could not see his squadron. The battle had moved westward while he had dived towards home to the east. His plane was so badly damaged by the fire, he decided his best course of action would be to return home. He gingerly flew back towards base trying his best not to put any undue stress on his singed Albatros.

Rolf Schäfer (Black rear fuselage) kept looking over his right shoulder. So much so that Franz Köhler (Red zig Zag) noticed and worried that he was doing something wrong. Rolf was wing leader with Franz to his right and Theodore Schwarz (Red camo) to his left. This was Köhler’s first patrol with the squadron and Rolf didn’t want the rookie to get into trouble.
    Slightly ahead to his right, Rolf also kept an eye on Hermann Beck, the patrol flight leader. Beck wagged his wings to get Schäfer’s attention. Pointing down to the left at a flight of three British scouts. Beck motioned Schäfer to lead the attack.

2Lt Roy Morrow (Pup #4)was leading the two least experienced Bulldogs out on patrol. Both Percy Edwards (red stripe) and Charles Daly each had only one mission under their belts. Each had been shot down their first time up. Now that they have recovered from their wounds they were getting thrown back into the fray. No time for any more training. Times were desperate as losses were mounting but they had to keep flying and keep the Bosch on their heels. All squadrons in the sector were being pushed to the limit regardless of the experience level of any new pilots.
    As this was just a contact mission to see where the Bosch were, Edwards and Daley were instructed to head home if they were attacked. They all flew some new Sopwith Pups, maybe not as fast as the German Albatros but much more maneuverable. They should be able to keep out of the German gun sights if they keep their heads.
    Morrow was too preoccupied watching the fledglings and didn’t see the Eagles diving in on them.

With a plane on either side Schäfer dived straight in at the British flight. He knew they had not been seen as there was no reaction until his Spandaus let rip. Seeing some tracers zipping past Morrow knew they were in trouble and turned to the right. Both Edwards and Daley, wide eyed, followed.
    With the unopposed attack Schäfer had no trouble placing a lot of lead into the Pup’s engine area. The effect was immediate and the Pup’s engine almost tore itself from the chassis, pointing in one direction while the rest of the Pup pointed in another.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16.1 (800x530).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	177481

Seeing their flight leader flailing helplessly towards the ground Edwards and Daley turned as fast as they could towards their own lines. The Eagles pounced on the panicking pair.
    Edwards was attacked by both Schäfer and Schwarz.

Name:	16.2 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	173.2 KB 
ID:	177482

Schäfer then turned off to help Köhler attack Daley and let Schwarz have Edwards. Edwards avoided Schwarz’ attack, helped by Schwarz’ guns jamming.

Name:	16.3 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	203.3 KB 
ID:	177483

Neither Schäfer nor Köhler could strike the erratic flying Pup of Daley.

Name:	16.4 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	201.5 KB 
ID:	177484

Schäfer flew wide right getting out of Köhler’s way as Köhler kept straight on Daley.

Name:	16.5 (800x530).jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	187.1 KB 
ID:	177485

Schäfer was so focused on Köhler and Daley he forgot about Beck and his incoming wing. Beck flew past to his left and at the last second Schäfer barely avoided the incoming Wolf.

Name:	16.6 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	184.1 KB 
ID:	177486

Köhler kept on Daley but could not hit. Beck on the other hand added to Daley’s troubles and damaged his controls.
    It would now be a bit tougher for Daley to outmaneuver the Huns on his tail.

Name:	16.7 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	198.0 KB 
ID:	177487

Köhler showed no first combat jitters and didn’t flinch when Beck flew close. Daley’s Pup was perforated a bit more.

Name:	16.8 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	176.4 KB 
ID:	177488

Trailing and closing in on the action, a Triplane comes in unnoticed.

Name:	16.9 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	177489

Beck joins in with Köhler but Daley and his agile Pup frustrate their aim.

Name:	16.10 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	167.7 KB 
ID:	177490

The Triplane with a red Welsh Dragon on it’s upper wing stalks the unsuspecting Germans.

Name:	16.11 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	182.7 KB 
ID:	177491

Schwarz, with guns cleared, reminds Edwards that he is still on his tail.

Name:	16.13 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	177492

Köhler’s aim is true while Beck misses, jostled by Köhler’s slipstream.

Name:	16.14 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	177493

Daley feels a hammer hit his shoulder as his Pup splinters around him.
    As he begins to spin out of control he catches a glimpse of Edwards plane, “God save us”, he mutters through clenched teeth.
    Schwarz briefly closes his eyes as he sees his quarry start to burn.

Name:	16.15 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	181.6 KB 
ID:	177494

Name:	16.16 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	165.1 KB 
ID:	177495

Schäfer had thought he now was the trailing plane in the attack but what is this? A plane with three wings comes from behind flying just over him with guns blazing. A curious Wolf wonders what the pinging is coming from his engine and gasps as first spurts of oil, then smoke pours from it.

Name:	16.17 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	177496

Schwarz keeps on his prey like stink on s….. ome of that French cheese he can’t pronounce.

Name:	16.19 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	297.9 KB 
ID:	177497

Edwards knows he is in too deep and drops down to land before the fire or the Hun ends him. He attempts to land in a field but catches his undercarriage on a stump and flips over, breaking the plane apart. 40 minutes later his burned body was separated from the wreckage. He was later buried by some German infantry after all his surviving papers were taken from the site of the crash and delivered to the aerodrome.

Name:	16.20 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	177498

“Scheiße”! Wolf yelled as he looked behind and saw his attacker. The Welsh Dragon’s breath set Wolf’s Albatros on fire. Beck and Schmitt now notice the newcomer to their party.

Name:	16.21 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	177499

Beck reacts to the new enemy and turns back sharply. He and the unsuspecting Köhler nearly collide.

Name:	16.22 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	177500

The Dragon took another shot at Wolf but obscured by his smoking DIII he dives away out of sight and out of reach.

Name:	16.23 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	177501

Beck and Schmitt tried to get after the Dragon but it was past them before they could line up a true shot.
    Seeing that there were no Bulldogs left in the air, and even though one Hun went down in flames, the Dragon didn’t like the 5:1 odds and left the Huns on their own.

Name:	16.24 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	169.3 KB 
ID:	177479

Name:	16.25 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	252.1 KB 
ID:	177480

Beck gathered up his patrol but couldn’t find Wolf. After a quick aerial observation of the three downed enemy planes he leads the squadron back to the aerodrome. They were all greatly relieved to see Wolf when they touched down.
    There was a lot of buzz about this Dragon Triplane. Only Beck and Schäfer got a good look at it.
    “A new Brit squadron in the area”? Beck asked Büttner.
    “Not that I know of. HQ hasn’t said anything. You are lucky there was only one”. Büttner replied. “We all better keep a better watch when flying from now on. If those Bulldogs have another squadron with them we will have a much harder time of it. I’ll see what I can find out from HQ”.

Butcher’s Bill

The Bulldogs

Name:	16.32 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	177478
    2Lt Charles Daley SD ET WIA 0 kills
    10 -1sd -1wia = 8 bruised miss 1 mission
    10 -1wia -1wia -1bel= 7 skip 1 mission Total miss 2 missions

Name:	16.29 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	177477
    2Lt Roy Morrow SD EXP ET 0 kills
    8 - 3exp = 5 injured, 1 = miss 1 mission
    7 -1wia -1bel = 5 in hiding, 1 = miss 1 mission total miss 2 missions

Name:	16.31 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	226.0 KB 
ID:	177476
    2Lt Edward Percey SD FLM ET 0 kills
    roll for landing in enemy territory 3 = KIA

Name:	16.30 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	177475
    Welsh Dragon RTB 0 kills

The Kaiser’s Eagles

Name:	16.34 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	199.6 KB 
ID:	177474
    Ltn Hermann Beck RTB 0 kills

Ltn Thedore Schwarz RTB 1 kill

Ltn Franz Köhler RTB 1 kill

Ltn Rudolf Schmitt RTB 0 kills

Name:	16.36 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	296.8 KB 
ID:	177473
    Ltn Heinz Wolf RTB 0 kills
    6 +3 = 9 All is well on landing

Name:	16.33 (800x530).jpg 
Size:	316.0 KB 
ID:	177472
    Ltn Rolf Schäfer RTB 1 kill

I had hoped using 3 Sopwith Pups that their agility would make this an interesting running battle but when the leader went down on the first shot it was all down hill for the Bulldogs from there. I coaxed my wife to join in but it was too little too late.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 09-28-2015 at 21:16.

Great show for the Kaiser's Eagles, Peter

Got a chuckle out of me with this:
    Schwarz keeps on his prey like stink on s….. ome of that French cheese he can’t pronounce.
    I think Daley and Morrow might be a little worse for wear than what was originally posted. Both were "Wounded in Crash" which takes another 1 off their totals.
    My own Bulldog, William Daley (Charles's cousin?) met his end the same way.

We will have to see what Flashman has to say in the matter ...

Pete, I listed their crash wounds in the second line for Escaping Enemy Territory, -1wia. Daley was wounded during the battle so -1wia on his Crashing and Wounded Effects Table roll, and wounded again in the crash so two -1wias on his EET roll.
    I don't think the Boom card wounds the pilot but you get a -3 for EXP on the first roll which will usually injure him in some way. Morrow did get a -1wia for his EET roll.

Even though we gunned them down the Bulldogs get a partial victory for having two pilots eventually return home. The Brits will drop like flies but are hard to beat. It will all come down to the ending die rolls which favor them.

I'm sure the Germans have a hard time pronouncing the French cheeses, especially the smelly ones! Tough to talk while holding your nose.
    Last edited by Teaticket; 09-29-2015 at 06:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Pete, I listed their crash wounds in the second line for Escaping Enemy Territory, -1wia. Daly was wounded during the battle so -1wia on his Crashing and Wounded Effects Table roll, and wounded again in the crash so two -1wias on his EET roll.
    My bad - I missed the double WIA in your post.
    Nothing to see here, move along ...

Poor old Tommy - Another turkey shoot - well played Peter and you're bringing some of your other pilots along nicely - two more potential aces in the offing ! Chest's puffed out and covered in gongs now but one day the jack boot will be on the other foot....!
    I picked up your second wia's by the way so good Tally - if you can make those wic's in the future it will be perfect

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Your lads were lucky to survive that onslaught Peter.
    I really thought they were goners for sure.
    Nice AAR Mate!

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Poor old Tommy - Another turkey shoot - well played Peter and you're bringing some of your other pilots along nicely - two more potential aces in the offing ! Chest's puffed out and covered in gongs now but one day the jack boot will be on the other foot....!
    I picked up your second wia's by the way so good Tally - if you can make those wic's in the future it will be perfect
    Turkey shoot indeed. A good thing about this battle was it got me to paint up 3 new DIIIs!

Wic it will be.

I flew Hermann Beck hoping to get him his 5th but it wasn't to be. The AI pilots wanted to score a kill more!... and did.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Your lads were lucky to survive that onslaught Peter.
    I really thought they were goners for sure.
    Nice AAR Mate!
    The Bulldogs are a tough bunch. You can shoot them down but most of the time they will be back for revenge.

LOOP

Another slaughter

Great AAR

Very reminiscent of what was going on at the time Peter.
    Just wait until the RNAS Tripes arrive in force.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well that was a bit brutal Peter - but at least two of the lads eventually make it back home Love the Welsh Dragon BTW

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Very reminiscent of what was going on at the time Peter.
    Just wait until the RNAS Tripes arrive in force.
    Rob.
    The RNAS Tripes will fly circles around the Albatrii. We'll just have to keep the Eagles away from the RNAS!

Quote Originally Posted by Archidamus View Post
    Well that was a bit brutal Peter - but at least two of the lads eventually make it back home Love the Welsh Dragon BTW
    My wife is from Wales, hence the Welsh Dragon. She just loves setting me (and everyone) on fire so I thought it an appropriate livery for her to fly.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Nice fight. I'm sure the surviving Bulldogs won't be saying, too little too late, but will be saying, better late than never!
    I'm sure the Eagles will be calling the interloper, Poof the Magic Dragon. This could be due to the seeming ability to appear out of no where and then disappear as quickly.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2016, 17:09
  2. BRF OTT ED Mission 16-Prelude to Arras-April 8th 1917
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 03:37
  3. AAR OTTTEY Mission 16 Prelude to Arras
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-29-2015, 06:10
  4. AAR OTT ED Mission 16----Prelude to Arras, April 1917----gully_raker