Ares Games

Thread: Spitfire Day at RAF Museum

Default Spitfire Day at RAF Museum

I have received a message from the RAF Museum, Cosford, asking if we would be interested in putting something together for their Spitfire Event, pencilled in for Saturday, 5th March, 2016.

The event is to mark the 80th anniversary of the first flight of the Spitfire.

I already have a few ideas, but I am throwing it out to the community to see what else we could come up with.

S.B.
    Last edited by Strangely Brown; 09-24-2015 at 07:14.

First question when is WMMS 2016?

If no clash I'm up for anything.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    First question when is WMMS 2016?

If no clash I'm up for anything.
    According to their site, WMMS '16 is Sunday, 13th March. (Unable to add to the Calendar as 2016 hasn't been allocated yet.)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Simon, Hi hope you are well. Will be watching this thread with interest - if you are going to be at RAF Cosford again then so will the Wife and I be.

There is one idea that happened recently involving Spitfires - the special feature being how two flights of Wings of War / Wings of Glory Spitfires transited between gaming tables. If it helps it is under WW2 Missions and it's Multiplayer: Those Magnificent Spitfires of Old Chester Green. There was no fighting as such so how appropriate this concept would be I don't know. But it turned into a Spitfire Rally that took the whole house over! The concept works

Bit too far off to say for certain, but if available that weekend I would love to attend.
    '303' needs more outings!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Simon you have a clash with Hammerhead 2016 on that Saturday. Just looked in my diary.

We will be heading your way despite this - I know the Wife would prefer RAF Cosford over Newark especially after Battle of Britain Weekend.
    Last edited by Tonx; 09-24-2015 at 12:16. Reason: Posting 1,250 on the Aerodrome.

Bum!
    I was about to look at distance to Cosford when I read the last post by Barney.
    Hammerhead is more likely to require my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    Hammerhead is more likely to require my attention.
    And mine - trophy to defend, and all........................

Hammerhead for me as well I'm afriad

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Interested to know if there have been any further thoughts or developments in this direction. We would like to support the marking of Spitfire First Flight 80th Anniversary.

Like the Wife says this event weather permitting spells Spitfire Overflight. Like I said back to her this time I will get it on video instead of a real WTF type photo of the floor instead!

Default Hammerhead - V - Cosford

Fellow Pilots

We have enough members and models between us...
    perhaps we could attend both events...?

'A' team ~ defending champions at Hammerhead

'B' team at cosford

If Aussietonka and SWMBO are happy to go to cosford,
    I can as well.
    Between us we should have enough Spitfires (i now have six)
    &
    Me109's i now have six

plus ample table mats...

I don't believe we have Hurricane's or He 111's so its looking like a dog fight scenario at the moment
    as a possibility at cosford...

if any other members are available for cosford then that would be great...

Just a suggestion?

Thoughts please

Maverick

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Great idea Simon II. Simon I & team put in a great deal of time and effort on the Battle of Britain weekend at RAF Cosford and this IMHO is reflected in him being asked to organise a future event.

I very much appreciate being given another opportunity to play at RAF Cosford again so does the Lady Wife. As to how many Spitfires we will be rewarded with overflying Sylvia here at FT has connections with the BBMF and says she will find out more about what's planned. Rumour has it that there could be two heading this way - early Mk and a later Mk together. Hope so - watch this space.
    Last edited by Tonx; 10-19-2015 at 20:36. Reason: Typo!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Still no news regarding this event? March 2016 will soon be here before we know it

It will be Hammerhead for myself I'm afraid.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Hammerhead
    I am seeking updates because I may as well say I am confined to barracks for the remainder of 2015 at this rate!

News is also coming in of a brand new event at Abingdon in Oxfordshire the following day (Sunday 6th March 2016) and with so many Members at Hammerhead 2016 not many Members will be available to put in a presence there.

Now I know this sounds ambitious but I will by then be hoping to make up for lost time: Thinking of attending this event. Followed by Abingdon the following day ... Or at least helping out with Abingdon the following day
    Last edited by Tonx; 12-07-2015 at 10:06. Reason: Add Abingdon Event.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

If this plan is still a Go my latest news means that ... I may be out of hospital this weekend - even if it is only just!

Still planning to come along so may we have an update please? It will be Myself and the Wife like before most of all because we would like to set eyes on THIS beaut now it is on permanent display:

Name:  100_8386.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  114.4 KB

I've had no further contact about this date, so you'll be able to indulge yourself....

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Strangely Brown View Post
    I've had no further contact about this date, so you'll be able to indulge yourself....
    Thank you for the update
    Last edited by Tonx; 03-03-2016 at 17:13. Reason: Thank You Added.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

May as well mention what is confirmed to be going on at the RAF Museum at Cosford now that it has appeared on their website. Plus there has been a message from a BBMF source.

Two talks - one of which is fully booked up on the Saturday morning. Spaces still available for Saturday afternoon though.

There will be no BBMF overflight of this location on Saturday 5th March 2016.

Given that this is the 80th anniversary of the first flight of the Supermarine Spitfire I feel that this is actually more of a whimper than a commemoration! Or is that just me being pernickety?

So I am afraid that on this note it is definitely ... SEE EVERYONE AT HAMMERHEAD 2016!

Similar Missions

1. Spitfire 944
    By Baldrick62 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-10-2017, 14:04
  2. Spitfire pic?
    By gully_raker in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-02-2015, 21:23
  3. Spitfire MkV
    By Flying Officer Kyte in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 3