Ares Games

Thread: What is currently available for World War 2?

Question What is currently available for World War 2?

Help me out guys, I haven't played the WWII version since Wings of War.

I'm helping a guy acquire stock for a big-ass game store opening, and I was able to give him detailed information on WWI materials. I'm looking to set him up for WofG WW2 (presumably purchasing through Alliance) and I can't find any airplanes. I can't even assemble Battle of Britain for him because I can't find 109s or Hurricanes. Ares' web site only shows 12 fighter models, and they're a bit of a motley crew, pulled from three theaters.

Can someone give me a thumbnail sketch of what's available through wholesale channels for a new retailer? Ares' web site for their World War 2 materials looks like a ghost of what it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagrilarus View Post

... I'm looking to set him up for WofG WW2 (presumably purchasing through Alliance) and I can't find any airplanes. I can't even assemble Battle of Britain for him because I can't find 109s or Hurricanes. Ares' web site only shows 12 fighter models, and they're a bit of a motley crew, pulled from three theaters.

Can someone give me a thumbnail sketch of what's available through wholesale channels for a new retailer? Ares' web site for their World War 2 materials looks like a ghost of what it should be.
    Ares hasn't yet produced any Battle of Britain planes, Nexus did. So, Hurricanes, Spitfires and Bf-109s are now sold by players or after-market investors (read opportunists). They are awaiting production, and may possibly appear in 2016. Stocking a store at this time is a challenge, as my local store is unable to bring in anything, for either version, and Alliance is one of their distributors. We can't even get the Rules and Accessories Pack, which is particularly frustrating.

My condolences, but Ares is just a bit small, and not producing things in large numbers, nor in a timely fashion. Popular planes are sucked up on release, with less popular planes becoming peg queens.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Ares' web site for their World War 2 materials looks like a ghost of what it should be.
    Sadly, this is the truth. Wings of Glory WW2 (WGS) doesn't have as much availability as the First World War (WGF) version. We've seen two releases in the last year or so... heavy bombers (B-17F/G and two Lancasters) and "fast fighters" (Ki-84, P-51, Mk.IX Spit, Fw 190 D-9). Each of those are still to be had, but not so readily as earlier in the year.

Previous releases (WoW) are much harder to get your hands on, with Series 1 (especially the early mark Spits and 109s) being ridiculously expensive. Zeros & Wildcats are a bit easier to find (Zeros being the more expensive of the two).

Series 2 is a little better, as you can still find some Hurricanes (Russian and Dutch), Dewoitines, and Vals. Stukas are much harder to find, and Bader Hurricanes are nearly impossible to acquire.

Ares re-released the game with P-40s, Ki-61s, Yak-1s, and Re.2001s. These are pretty tough to find, but not so much as the original Series 1.

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    . . . Popular planes are sucked up on release, with less popular planes becoming peg queens.
    A first year business major can detect the opportunity in that statement you made. If something is being "sucked up on release" you mortgage grandma's house to back the proven, IP-locked product.

I gotta tell this guy to hold off on World War II material. That's a shame.

Thank you both for responding so quickly, he's due to open October 17th.

Unfortunately, it isn't a matter of holding off. It is a matter of waiting until there is product to order.
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Oh, and by the way, if someone is crazy enough to offer me $50 for each of my 109s, Spits, Canes, Cats or Zekes, they're SOLD. I could support my airplane addiction for the next five years on that kind of money. I can't believe the prices on Ebay reflect the actual market value.

I'm helping a guy acquire stock for a big-ass game store opening, and I was able to give him detailed information on WWI materials. I'm looking to set him up for WofG WW2 (presumably purchasing through Alliance) and I can't find any airplanes. I can't even assemble Battle of Britain for him because I can't find 109s or Hurricanes. Ares' web site only shows 12 fighter models, and they're a bit of a motley crew, pulled from three theaters.

trying to remember just whats available from alliance at the moment. its been awhile since i looked. if i remember correctly most of the last release of the high performance fighters have at least some of the 3 options available. the big bombers. b-25s, dont recall if any of the he111s were available. of the previous releases only the poorest sellers were still available ie, the re2001s, the dewotine500s, the blue yak1. the gladiators and fiats still seem readily available.

Lightbulb

A first year business major can detect the opportunity in that statement you made. If something is being "sucked up on release" you mortgage grandma's house to back the proven, IP-locked product.

I gotta tell this guy to hold off on World War II material. That's a shame.

Thank you both for responding so quickly, he's due to open October 17th.
    Far better at this time to do a big WW1 show if he wants to attract players & buyers.

Yeah, I have about 25 local WWI players, kids in middle and high school that play very well and are a pleasure to game with. They're part of a local strategic gaming club. There's also a general gaming meetup group with 200 lurkers, so I intend to announce to them as well and have a big WWI game night. I'd love to pull 30 or 40 into the store and get photos of a big game. That could sell a few airplanes.

I've provided a list of WofG WWI materials for the guy to carry, and my Sails of Glory recs went out about fifteen minutes ago. This guy runs a couple of local comic book stores and I'll tell you what -- he has his ducks in one seriously tight row. His stores need four or five associates on the floor on weekends to help with questions and recommendations. Squeaky clean, incredibly friendly environment for all ages and both genders. Has two registers running full time to handle checkout. I have no doubt this place is going to change the landscape in Annapolis, a good sized town that's been a hole in the gaming landscape for years. The closest game store is 20 miles away. He could do very well.

He could do very well.
    Let's hope he does!

All power to his elbow (and yours, too, for setting him on the path!)
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 09-21-2015 at 06:20.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

One thing your friend could do is talk to the guys at armament in miniatures about getting a supply of WWII planes, these will have to be painted and they will not have the cards or bases needed for the game.

Similar Missions

1. National The First World War from Above
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-30-2014, 13:09
  2. National The First World War From Above
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-19-2013, 01:18
  3. World War II Day by Day
    By ptownhiker in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 2