Ares Games

Thread: WGF and WGS minis

Default WGF and WGS minis

Given how many of the early series minis are out of print, I'm seriously considering going with Shapeways models for the most part (as I've seen a lot of positive comments about them). A question, though. Are there any minis that have been produced (for either line - WGF or WGS) that are planes NOT contained in one of the 'card-only' decks? Or perhaps planes that have received a new or 'special' maneuver deck (I know the Fw190 mini has larger cards b/c they wanted to illustrate the speed of the Fw190 related to the other planes, but what about others)? Figured I would focus on trying to get those 'official' minis and then fill out the bulk of my air forces with Shapeways, even if the Shapeways are a larger scale.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I think Shapeways models are the same scale as WGF and WGS official - 1/144 for WGF and 1/200 for WGS.

Both the Supermarine Spitfire Mk IX and North American P-51D Mustang also have the bigger-sized cards like the Focke Wulf Fw.190D - I have a feeling the Nakajima Ki-84 Hayate does as well.

Once detailed and painted Shapeways models are easy to customise for either game: You are best using the gimbal mounts which are available from the very excellent AA. All of the Shapeways models I have seen in person have been produced to a very good standard and had already been painted. This is the only drawback that stops me from buying these instead of Official ones - they do not come pre-painted. Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by AZTiger98 View Post
    Or perhaps planes that have received a new or 'special' maneuver deck (I know the Fw190 mini has larger cards b/c they wanted to illustrate the speed of the Fw190 related to the other planes, but what about others)?
    True. The 'Dora' (Fw 190 D-9) uses larger cards... as does the P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, and Nakajima Ki-84. They're all reasonably comparable, though the Mk.IX is my favorite. Though Shapeways is nice, I'd suggest Armaments in Miniature for WWII. The models are available in the right scale (whether you believe that to be 1/144 or 1/200), nicely detailed, and typically less expensive than Shapeways.

If you're asking about official WGF miniatures which don't show up in any of the boosters (Recon Patrol, Top Fighters, Hit and Run, Dogfight, Crossfire, Immelmann) or card-only boxes (Famous Aces, Watch Your Back!, Burning Drachens, Flight of Giants), I'm pretty sure that all are represented in card form except several from the newer Series (6 & 7): Halberstadt CL.II, Albatros D.II, Nieuport 28, Fokker D.VII/E.V, Hannover CL.III, and Macchi M.5. Oh, and the Nieuport 16s in the Balloon Busters are only found there.

I'll have to root around in my WGS stuff... I'm not as familiar with the WWII card sets.

Exclamation

Just wanted to confirm that Shapeways do produce models in 1/144 for WW1 & 1/200 for WW2 so you have no problem with "oversized" minis.

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    Just wanted to confirm that Shapeways do produce models in 1/144 for WW1 & 1/200 for WW2 so you have no problem with "oversized" minis.
    The official WGF minis are 1/144 scale? Thanks - that's good to know. I thought both sets were 1/200.

If you are looking for Shapeways planes look here.

WWI is in 1/144, WW2 is in 1/200 and 1/144. Not as many to pick from for WW2 but some different planes for sure. As Chris said, AIM is where to
    gop for WW2 planes.

Similar Missions

1. New Minis
    By armstrongjohn1 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 10:27
  2. WGF Trade Minis / Tausche Minis
    By dreckler in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 09:21
  3. Anyone looking for particular minis?
    By lochmoigh in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds