Ares Games

Thread: North Sea Stew at TSS Crucible Game Day 9/12/15

Default North Sea Stew at TSS Crucible Game Day 9/12/15

A Felixstowe on a late afternoon anti-submarine patrol sights a U-boat off the French coast, and a British motor launch nearby speeds to the site. Submerging too late, the U-boat is brought back to the surface by the sub chaser's depth charges. But before the Brits can move in for the capture, a Hansa-Brandenburg W29 monoplane shows up to spoil the party, and is soon joined by a Friedrichshafen FF49 and a Hansa-Brandenburg W12 two-seater on coastal patrol. Meanwhile, a Short 184 torpedo plane will try to take care of the sub for good, while a cannon-armed Spad XIV seaplane attempts to fend off the Germans.

The W29 attempts to get behind the F2A for an attack from above

He needs to be careful, though, as that flying boat is bristling with guns. Meanwhile, the motor launch stands off from the surfaced sub

As the afternoon light wanes, the Spad and the H-B W12 zoom past one another exchanging fire, while below them the torpedo plane comes around to make its attack run

The Friedrichshafen lines up for a bombing run on the motor launch

The torpedo plane gets ready for its approach on the sub

The W29's observer exchanges fire with the F2A, but he's outgunned

The Short 184 turns away after managing to get its torpedo off, all the while receiving fire from the U-boat's deck gun

The action swirls above the motor launch

Unsuccessful on its bombing run, the Friedrichshafen falls victim to British gunnery. The torpedo hits the sub, but turns out to be a dud

And the torpedo plane winds up being downed by the U-boat's deck gun!

After a critical hit severely damages his engine, the Spad pilot decides discretion is the better part of valor and dives off to safety

The Hansa-Brandenburgs have been damaged too...

...but come around for one last try at the British behemoth...

...before finally breaking off the action

Thanks to clipper for the amazing planes, Flying Officer Kyte for the naval lead, the Triangle Simulation Society in Raleigh NC for holding this game day and the Game Theory store for providing the space, and of course to the great group of friends to game with!
    Last edited by spindoc; 09-13-2015 at 17:30.

Lovely aircraft in a rousing clash! Nicely flown, and a great report of some lesser-known aircraft... not to mention the cool scenario idea! In fact, there's nothing about this I don't like... except the fact that I wasn't involved in playing! And I love the Felixstowe. Sublime.

Excellent shots of some very interesting aircraft.

(the ships and sub are nice, too)

That looks terrific Bill - well done !

"He is wise who watches"

Gripping stuff!

And not a sail in sight!

Thanks for posting.

A smashing little Naval action Bill.
    I hope it will encourage a few more pilots to have a go at a Naval action.
    As can be seen from your AAR they can be great fun.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Lovely little scenario Bill. Especially liked the plane livery and the surface ship models.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Very nice planes indeed, who makes them? kits I assume?

Excellent mix of some of the lesser-used equipment (both aircraft & ships). Nice narrative, too!

Great looking air and sea battle. A great mix of not so common planes!

Thanks guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Dowters View Post
    Very nice planes indeed, who makes them? kits I assume?
    I think they're all Shapeways, except the Spad seaplane was something clipper built by adding floats to an F-toys model. You'd have to ask him which of the Shapeways vendors he used.

Great AAR with some nicely painted and rarely seen aircraft.

Nevertheless, I wish, I would never have seen it, because now I have to buy some floatplanes, too

Thumbs up

That was a really top bit of action Bill & an amazing array of beautiful models!
    I really "lust" after a Felixstowe!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Very nice and congratulations on being different.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Great to see all of these in action! Eventually I hope to finish some seaplanes to play with, too... Lovely photos and narrative.

All the best,
    Matt

Teach59

What scale are the ships/motor launches?

Oh dear, now I need float panes, a submarine and more float planes!
    See you on the Dark Side......

Could this be the photo that launched a thousand ships Neil?
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Oh dear, now I need float panes, a submarine and more float planes!
    Better ask Karen first Neil.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Quote Originally Posted by Teach59 View Post
    What scale are the ships/motor launches?
    Hey Teach, they're 1/200 scale.

Teach59

Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Hey Teach, they're 1/200 scale.
    Thanks. They are some very nice planes too :-)
    I've been looking at different scales of ship and/or 2D printed overhead views (so as not to obstruct aircraft bases) to use for North Sea and Adriatic scenarios. I have been looking at deck plan views of early carriers like HMS Furious for campaign "bases". I'd prefer some of the earlier float plane carriers like HMS Engadine and HMS Ark Royal, but have yet to conclude my search. Also target ships for bombing and torpedo attacks. I suspect I'll be looking at 1/300th or smaller as I'm looking at much bigger vessels.
    Also target ships for bombing and torpedo attacks. There are already a few examples in the file section on this forum :-)

I am also considering retrieving my 1/700th carriers, etc. from the loft for WW2.

What a great AAR! This ranks up there as one of my favorites!!!

Are you running this at Fall In? I just signed on play if this is your game. Timing works out nicely as I will be putting on a game at 6pm on Saturday.

The float planes look lovely. Only played with them twice, Salute 2014 and at yours Rob. Dare I say it I want some......must resist, must resi....RESISTANCE IS FUTILE. YOU ARE A MERE MORTAL. CHRISTMAS IS COMING SO PUT THEM ON YOUR LIST!

Oh dear, Oh dear....
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Could this be the photo that launched a thousand ships Neil?
    Rob.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    Are you running this at Fall In? I just signed on play if this is your game. Timing works out nicely as I will be putting on a game at 6pm on Saturday.
    Hey Peter, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Yes, I was going to run this at Fall In, but now it turns out I'm not going so of course the game is cancelled. Hope you have a good time at the con!

Quote Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
    Hey Peter, sorry it's taken me so long to respond. Yes, I was going to run this at Fall In, but now it turns out I'm not going so of course the game is cancelled. Hope you have a good time at the con!
    Sad to say I have also cancelled! I had signed up for your game...maybe at Cold Wars. If you are running anything at Cold Wars let me know and we can schedule so not to overlap. Last Cold Wars the only other Wings of Glory game was at the same time as mine. Always seems that way...

Yeah unfortunately dealing with HMGS is unnecessarily difficult, and they don't seem to make any effort to avoid schedule overlaps etc.

Similar Missions

1. National: Running WoW/WoG at Con of North
    By wbfritze in forum US Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2013, 21:02
  2. North Sea Blimps!
    By clipper1801 in forum WGF: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-28-2012, 11:41
  3. North Sea Battle
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 11