Ares Games

Thread: Any possibility of starting up a new campaign?

Default Any possibility of starting up a new campaign?

Been reading through this and it sounds quite interesting. Just wondering if there is any interest in / possibility of starting up another campaign (if it means two or more are running in parallel, so be it). Let me know....otherwise, I'll probably try to create my own pilot rosters and just start playing through the missions. All action will be in 2-D, but as long as no one cares (I know minis are really liked, but I haven't gotten around to starting acquiring those yet), I'll be glad to post pics along with the AARs...

The chaps here barely have time to play this campaign David & some are already playing a WW2 campaign as well as this one so unlikely they will want to start another just yet and I'm not in a position to admin two at once. The scenarios are posted so anyone can take their pick and play them but only those engaged in the current campaign can post in the OTT sub-forum. Even if we play extras then they are posted or moved into the AAR sub-forum.
    The current campaign ends in about six months so have a go at some scenarios and post some AAR to get the feel of things and join in with the next fracas or start one of your own - if you ask in Campaign Discussions you may find some takers who will join you.
    PM me if you have any questions about the set up.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

David, this sounds like a great idea. I was unable to get seriously involved in the current campaign and don't know how much time I will have available to join a regular campaign. I am currently 2 AARs behind in my Hunt for the Red Baron scenario. Would you do historical or what if scenarios? WWII or WWI or both? Having 130 combined planes I should be able to do a lot of different scenarios.

Dale, if I were to run one of my own, I'd probably take any scenarios, whether historical or not. Again, though, I only have cards at the moment, no minis (though planning to start acquiring minis soon, but process will be slow-going)...so anything I were to do for now is going to only be 2-D on my end. I'm also strapped for time, with family stuff + graduate school. If you're interested in anything, PM me and I'll get back to you.

Don't worry with the minis David. Playing the game with cards is loads of fun too (sometimes I play cards, even though I have some minis) and It will be interesting to see some AARs with cards, rather than minis, to change a little bit.
    Thanks

Nick

David, you will find the community to be gracious and supportive of your engagement. You need not be concerned about using cards as opposed to minis, either with respect to your personal enjoyment of playing or to writing AARs. From the brief time I was fortunate enough to play in campaigns here, I found that caring about my pilots, developing a story about them, and sharing that evolving story with my fellow campaigners were the keys to real enjoyment.

What are you studying?
    “You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.” ― Plato

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

David I agree with the others, don't worry about whether you use the cards or miniatures, make the story and characters come to life. I consistently have trouble getting pics in my AARs. So, I do my best to make the action as vivid and descriptive as possible. And there have been several character development stories as well that are really good.

Quote Originally Posted by 7eat51 View Post
    David, you will find the community to be gracious and supportive of your engagement. You need not be concerned about using cards as opposed to minis, either with respect to your personal enjoyment of playing or to writing AARs. From the brief time I was fortunate enough to play in campaigns here, I found that caring about my pilots, developing a story about them, and sharing that evolving story with my fellow campaigners were the keys to real enjoyment.

What are you studying?
    Trying to finish up a Master of Software Engineering. Hoping to be done in the next year.

Thanks for the encouragement - I'll have to see how the pics look if I try to take any - may have to just focus on writing the AARs really well so that pics aren't "necessary".

Quote Originally Posted by AZTiger98 View Post
    Been reading through this and it sounds quite interesting. Just wondering if there is any interest in / possibility of starting up another campaign (if it means two or more are running in parallel, so be it). Let me know....otherwise, I'll probably try to create my own pilot rosters and just start playing through the missions. All action will be in 2-D, but as long as no one cares (I know minis are really liked, but I haven't gotten around to starting acquiring those yet), I'll be glad to post pics along with the AARs...
    You see that they are about to start a new campaign? The time is ripe......!

Haven't been on in quite a while, due to school and family stuff, but interested.

Similar Missions

1. Starting campaign: Some questions on rules
    By HotleadColdfeet in forum WGF: Rules Help
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-02-2014, 01:56
  2. starting a solo campaign - where to begin?
    By drsid in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-03-2013, 03:42
  3. KotA Campaign Starting
    By petho22 in forum Australian Wing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-30-2012, 02:58
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-14-2012, 16:09
  5. Starting a campaign. Need your expert input!
    By tofarley in forum WGF: Campaign Discussions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-02-2011, 02:53