Ares Games

Thread: Which material do you prefer for Shapeways models?

Default Which material do you prefer for Shapeways models?

So I was looking on the Shapeways site at one of the stores - Kampfflieger models, and I noticed they have 3 different materials for the models. I'm curious which material y'all prefer and why. Which ones seem easier to paint (and what brand / type of paint do you generally use?) White strong and flexible, transparent acrylic, or Frosted Ultra Detail?

I have only bought White Strong Flexible.

It's the cheapest of the three, and most resilient (folks say) for gaming purposes.
    It requires more prep work than the others.

Frosted Ultra Detail is quick and easy to prepare and paint, and offers much better fine detail, but apparently it is much more fragile - small pieces break off easily, and struts are vulnerable to breakage in any but the most careful of handling during games.

I am not personally familiar with the acrylic.

I use Vallejo acrylic paint, which has strong pigment and goes on easily. Also, my left-over Games Workshop paints.
    Last edited by Flying Helmut; 09-14-2015 at 01:25.

I only have White Strong Flexible. I once bought observers in Frosted Ultra Detail but most of them broke while I was working on them. Way too fragile so I haven't tried a plane in it.

For paints I have Vallejo acrylic and craft store acrylic.

Lightbulb

WSF is certainly the cheapest & best for models you intend to game with.

The preparation is most important: Wash in lukewarm water with a little dishwashing liquid. Make sure you clean out any powder from the cockpit! Let dry overnight.
    Then seal the model. My choice is a good quality Slate & Tile sealer. Do not put it on too thick as it will cover the detail.
    Then use any good waterbased acrylic paint such as Games Workshops or Vallejo who make a good colour range to suit WW1 & WW2 aircraft.

White strong flexible only one I have tried. I use MRKIT paints mostly and some Vallejo . As gully raker a good prep job is necessary

As above, White Strong Flexible, needs prep work but is the cheapest and stands up to the handling during games

LOOP

Maybe I'm not the most experienced member here when it comes to Shapeways. I have only tried "White Strong Flexible"
    But I find it very easy to work with. Ok. it is a bit grainy but it work very well as for gaming. I have dropped models from aboute a meter and it just bounced. No damage at all.
    Paint... Well I use my old Humbrol-paints, for now...

I have tried three different materials - WSF, FUD, and White Detail. WSF is the way to go. FUD is too brittle for me. And, I don't even think they have White Detail anymore.

WSF or if you can find it WSF polished, anything else is too brittle, sneeze and the detail falls off.

Below is a Sopwith Pup in WSF with Vallejo paint followed by Gloss then Matt varnish, the only prep was a quick wash in warm water

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0067Porco.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	175888

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal palin View Post
    WSF or if you can find it WSF polished, anything else is too brittle, sneeze and the detail falls off.
    I agree. I really like the polished option and always buy when available.

Ian

Similar Missions

1. Which Aircraft models do you prefer
    By wargamer in forum Polls
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-31-2021, 22:57
  2. Shapeways models
    By armstrongjohn1 in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 10:51
  3. General 1:200 Shapeways Models?
    By schoon in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 17:15
  4. WSF got my first Shapeways models... now what?
    By Gallo Rojo in forum Shapeways Models
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-07-2012, 03:31
  5. Next Shapeways Models
    By David Manley in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 05:21