Ares Games

Thread: B17 first mission

Default B17 first mission

I few the 17. Enemy two 190D's and an Re2001. I arrived at my target with little damage and completely misjudged the slow speed and missed. 2 of my 3 enemies overshot me a couple of times and collected a lot of damage from the many guns I had. They also found out that head on attacks did work out so well either. I commenced a turn to starboard. Even using the tightest turn cards and short movements it took me 9 cards and I so nearly went off the edge of our table! As I was focusing on this the 190's swooped in for the kill. My gunners killed them both instead. R/L intervened and it was time to go after I managed to damage the target and set my Italian enemy on fire. I collected 20 damage points out of 50 and could not go fast.

Maybe 3 of those Hiens with the massive cannons would have been better opponents from the axis point of view? Maybe I was just lucky. My crew had a blinder that night.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Maybe 3 of those Hiens with the massive cannons would have been better opponents from the axis point of view?
    Kawasaki Ki-61-I-KIAD Hien: or as I nickname it The D Chit Distributor!

Was this your first trip out in the Seventeen? Nice one if it was. This is an aircraft type I need to get some more experience of flying myself as I have both but have not flown them for a couple of months - too busy messing around with Avro Lancasters and Vulcans!!!

Thumbs up

Sounds like your B17 crew were real "Hot Shots" Gary.
    I have been wanting to grab a B 17 for use in my Pacific Area Games but other stuff has been getting in the way.

Lucky guy Baxter.

I would add a P-51 to this setup and hope the bomber will survive.

(Was is a solo game?)
    Voilà le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Not a solo game. There were 4 of us. As the bomber pilot I did not have to much. My targets came to me

The first game Doug and I flew Spit IX's against Mark and Biggles downunder in 2 190D's protecting a He111. We thought we would stick in formation but on our first attack,on the bomber I drew a cannot turn left chit so thought I would fly past and then immelman. The obligatory post turn straight put me in head on position with a 190 and I was shot down. I think Doug lasted 3 more moves against them. So GE 1 Allies 1. Good night for both sides.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 10-23-2015, 15:27
  2. Solo Mission 4: Luftaufklärungsauftrag (Air reconnaissance Mission).
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 05:12