Ltn H Lex Blue
    Ltn M Kahle Strip tail
    Vzfwbl A Luer No1
    Obltn S Smitt Yellow body

"So Reaper how many hours on Spads?" he CO asked
    "12 Sir" He replied
    " And you Grimm?"
    "None on Spads sir, but 15 on DH2s"
    The CO sighed How could you hope to win the war in the air when you the pilots were so inexperienced.
    "Right then , get your flying gear together and report to Ltn Hall " He saluted and turned towards his office.
    Hall looked at the rookies, fresh faced and eager to please.
    " A couple of sorties will take the edge off them" he thought.

The engines ticked over in the background as Pip Hall called the rookies over to him.

"Right listen up chaps, the rules are simple, we are going over the lines .you follow me and if we have the misfortune to spot or be spotted by the Hun we head for our lines and home. Understand, Red flare run "
    The rookies nodded. Grimm looked at the Spad and wondered how different it could be to the DH2 he was trained on. He was about to find out.

Hall watched as Grimm struggled to keep the Spad in formation. Reaper on the other hand seemed more confident and was keeping pace with Halls long turns and sharp banking maneuvers .Looking down Pip saw the small town of Pontivy below him. That was the limit of today's foray. Signaling a left turn to his wingmen he commenced a lazy turn.
    Then they were there, 6 of them bearing down from directly ahead.

Hall fumbled for his Very pistol loaded the red flare and fired.

The enemy scouts pounced on the RFC planes like a cat on a wounded sparrow.

Reapers Spad was the first to be hit ,smoke erupting from the forward fuselage (4+smoke)

Pip felt the rounds from a second Albatros hit his Tripe (4,0) A short burst at the flight leader struck home before the Lewis stopped abruptly (2+GJ)

Hall felt the rush of air beneath him as Hartmans plane came perilously close to colliding with him, it did however block Justs LOS . A hot blast of air further rocked he Tripe looking to his left he saw the sheet of flames that once was Grimms Spad falling earth. (XP)

A second burst from Hartman tears into the spars and wires of Halls plane. Ahead he could see Reaper, smoke trailing from his engine. Knowing the Spads had a speed advantage and hoping that Reaper would follow his orders Pip Hall threw his plane into a steep right turn hoping to break up the hunters from their prey. It was a noble gesture, worthy of the high ideals and values the RFC encouraged, but it was futile. Pip saw the flames from his severed petrol pipes and felt the thud in his back as the bullet hit him. His vision began to blurr as he drifted into unconsciousness as the Tripe dipped its nose gracefully toward the river. (2+Fire, 3+pilot)

The second flight under Obltn Smitt began to move towards the fleeing RFC plane.
    Reaper could see a cloud bank above him and started to climb for it, his engine screaming under the strain of a full throttle .

Looking around the first flight of Germans were some distance behind him. The second flight were obscured by cloud

. A flash of yellow caught his eye as Smitt dropped quietly behind him. The next Reaper remembered was coming to, blood trickling down his forehead clouding his vision (3+pilot)

Then darkness (5+pilot)

Back at the aerodrome the mood was solemn. 4 hours overdue could mean many things , but with a flight of rookies and the buzz on the telephone lines reporting increased Hun scout patrols the outcome was looking more desperate by the hour. The Co rang the mess bell.

"Gather round chaps, I've got some news of Pip Halls flight " His voice trailed off.

Result

RFC

2nd Lt Pip Hall Tripe SD/W/ONFire /ET
    Lt Grimm Spad XP/ET
    Sgt Reaper Spad Yellow. Killed and shot down.

Central Powers
    All planes RTB Total damage 2pts!!!

Mark that one down as a disaster. After 4 moves not turns I was 2 planes down. Not a sniff of a 0 or gun jam for them and a total of 3 pilot hit cards and a boom to boot. It was all over by turn 3 so this has got to be one of the shortest and bloodiest I have flown in years.

An horribly realistic scenario John but happy, if that's the right word,I played it.

If you could check the wreckage please Dave to see if anyone crawled out .
    Last edited by tikkifriend; 09-08-2015 at 10:58.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

That was short and brutal Paul - let's hope and that the downed Bulldogs manage to crawl out of the wrecks

That it was .

Unhappy

Holy Moley! What a Bloodbath!
    The Dice Gods certainly gave you the Thumbs Down in that one Paul.
    One can only hope for some good news on the possible survival rate.

That was positively brutal! Here's hoping the dice are kinder than the cards...

Yeouch ! And I thought my outing was bad Great AAR though and bravely done. Sadly the die rolls didn't do much for you either Paul...

2Lt Pip Hall: SD FLM ET / WIA / 0 Kills
    Rolled 2... -2FLM -1WIA = -1 KIA

2Lt Grimm Spad: EXP ET / 0 kills
    Rolled 7 -3 = 4 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios - Rolled 3 = Skip 3
    E&E: Rolled 3 -1 BEL -1WIC = 1 - Captured! The war ended for this pilot...

Sgt Reaper: SD ET/ 2WIA / 0 kills
    Paul states KIA - rolling would have had a surprisingly different result...
    Rolled 6 -1SD -2WIA = 3 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios - Rolled 1
    E&E: Rolled 9 -2WIA -1WIC -1BEL = 5 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios - Rolled 1. Total skipped 2

Which can be applied if you wish Paul.

Can you clarify which of the German pilots got the victories Paul - Obltn Smitt (can I have a full name) got Reaper at the end, I think Just in the Halb got Hall but I cannot see who got Grimm ? Ta muchly !
    Last edited by flash; 09-09-2015 at 00:24.

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave.

Reaper got 2 pilot hits in succession so rules are rules and he is dead.
    Sigfrid Smitt got Reaper.
    Lex got Grimm,
    and Pip Hall was the victim of Just in the Red Halb. Kahle got the first shot 2+fire
    Damn their eyes . Revenge me thinks next battle.

Can Thomas Jennings replace brave young Pip please?

OOPs just checked the roster, might need a few more pilots for the grinder at your discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Sgt Reaper: SD ET/ 2WIA / 0 kills
    Paul states KIA - rolling would have had a surprisingly different result...
    Rolled 6 -1SD -2WIA = 3 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios - Rolled 1
    E&E: Rolled 9 -2WIA -1WIC -1BEL = 5 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios - Rolled 1. Total skipped 2
    And in an ironic (or not?) twist of fate, the appropriately-named Sgt. Reaper appears to exert some measure of control over life and death.

Go figure.

This is some kind of record - no losses until mission 16 and then three in one game

Reaper got 2 pilot hits in succession so rules are rules and he is dead
    We haven't played that for a while now - it gets him shot down but most have exercised the option to roll for the pilots survival, after all you don't automatically lose a pilot on an explosion & the crash rules provide for -1 per wound ! Up to you but the option is there.

Quote Originally Posted by tikkifriend View Post
    OOPs just checked the roster, might need a few more pilots for the grinder at your discretion.
    All six of your pilots and your two seat crew are fit for action in Mission 17, as are six Eagles and their crews - do you know something I don't ?!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Some of them just showed up at the MO tent.

Some of them just showed up at the MO tent.
    After days like that, it's astonishing that more didn't choose this option. Interestingly enough, in Somme Success, Peter Hart references British planes carrying a number of 20lb bombs. Obviously intended to be dropped on the Germans, Hart provides evidence that some RFC officers also considered them guarantors of crossing the lines.

Just started reading Bloody April by Peter Hart. Now that is what I call bravery in the face of certain death for every RFC and RNAS pilot who took to the skies even in Jan Feb and March in the build up to Bloody April.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    After days like that, it's astonishing that more didn't choose this option. Interestingly enough, in Somme Success, Peter Hart references British planes carrying a number of 20lb bombs. Obviously intended to be dropped on the Germans, Hart provides evidence that some RFC officers also considered them guarantors of crossing the lines.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Great AAR Paul pity it ended so badly. I'd take the dice roll on the 2 wounds, we all have. Keep one of your chaps going. He will have some story to tell on his return.

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Just started reading Bloody April by Peter Hart. Now that is what I call bravery in the face of certain death for every RFC and RNAS pilot who took to the skies even in Jan Feb and March in the build up to Bloody April.
    Bloody April is my favorite of the three (Somme Success, Bloody April, and Falling Aces) so far, though I'm only half way through Somme Success. All are excellent, however, and provide a great look at the evolving nature of the air war over the Western Front 1916-1918. Highly recommended.

Unhappy

Thanks Dave.

Reaper got 2 pilot hits in succession so rules are rules and he is dead.
    Sigfrid Smitt got Reaper.
    Lex got Grimm,
    and Pip Hall was the victim of Just in the Red Halb. Kahle got the first shot 2+fire
    Damn their eyes . Revenge me thinks next battle.

Can Thomas Jennings replace brave young Pip please?
    Well that result really "sucked" Paul.
    Certainly was "Bloody April" for your Flight!

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Great AAR Paul pity it ended so badly. I'd take the dice roll on the 2 wounds, we all have. Keep one of your chaps going. He will have some story to tell on his return.

Neil
    The irony is is that Pip Hall (who never stood a dicing chance) was a character from a previous campaign . So got to be careful with Gresham and Curtis now as they are the last of the very few.

I am appalled by the losses so far in this mission Paul.
    I have yet to fly mine and prey that I may come out of it better than that.
    Well done for a well written dialogue even if the outcome was far from satisfactory.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

take a good slug of gin before and during this one Rob.

Of course I will.
    This sortie is not going to make me change the habit of a lifetime Paul.

Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Posting so I can come back to this post and read it in detail tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Posting so I can come back to this post and read it in detail tomorrow
    Well that was like Bloody April came to life (or should I say death ...)

But it was a good day to be an Eagle

Similar to my first outing [ here: Live to Fight Another Day ] in that the Bulldogs never even got one shot off.

I picked up a hardcover copy of Bloody April for $3.24 on eBay as a throw-in with a Gotha last year. Guess I'd better dig it out again ...

That was bloody, no doubt there. Well written though, even though your planes were like ducks in a shooting gallery, you still made it an interesting read. Not always an easy thing to do! Hope the new recruits have a bit more sand!

Thanks for the comments Gentlemen, They will be passed on to the bereaved relatives.

Yeowch! More blood than ink spent on this mission. Must have taken a lot longer to set up and clean up than play it out. Bloody April indeed!

Youre not far wrong there Peter.

Similar Missions

1. BRF OTT ED Mission 16-Prelude to Arras-April 8th 1917
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 03:37
  2. AAR OTT ED Mission 16----Prelude to Arras, April 1917----gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-28-2015, 21:49
  3. AAR OTT ED Mission 16 - Flashes Prelude to Arras - April 8th 1917
    By flash in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-28-2015, 21:41
  4. AAR AAR OTTTEY Mission 10 3 Bridges (Jeff, Lloyd and Beau)
    By tikkifriend in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-25-2015, 11:11
  5. Prague Summer Con - Prelude mission
    By Lino22 in forum WGS: After Action Reports
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 18:32