Ares Games

Thread: Wings Over The South East II

Default Wings Over The South East II

Would you be interested in a small get together at Tunbridge Wells in Kent ?
    There are a handful of forum members who are members of Tunbridge Wells Wargames Society that get together from time to time for a Wings of Glory bash (that usually involves Ashford getting hammered). Last time this event coincided with Doncaster but this time we've held off in anticipation of the arrival of the Giants !
    We have a meeting Sunday 18th October at the Speldhurst village hall (TN3 0PR) between 1pm and 6pm so we thought we'd invite any forum members who are interested to come and join us for a game. If the Giants have made landfall we will tear into them, if not, then I'm sure we'll come up with something else !
    If you are interested sign up below and we'll send you further details when we have them confirmed.

"He is wise who watches"

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

How far away is Tunbridge Wells from Bolney (Haywards Heath / West Sussex) please?

If it is not too far the Wife and I could always stay with my mother that weekend and come and play at this event. Especially now it is open to Aerodrome Members all over the UK - great idea

I'd love to come, but I think I'm already booked that day; I'll check.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    How far away is Tunbridge Wells from Bolney (Haywards Heath / West Sussex) please?

If it is not too far the Wife and I could always stay with my mother that weekend and come and play at this event. Especially now it is open to Aerodrome Members all over the UK - great idea
    It's about 30 miles Barnaby - I used to live in Horsham, and we took about 45 minutes or so to make the journey back to Tunbridge Wells. If you can make it we'd be very happy to see you

According to Google maps that's about spot on Brian ! Hope you can make it Barney & I hope the Giants make it or we might have to fall back on Brian's sausage.... oo-er...I mean his Zeppelin of course !

"He is wise who watches"

You can count me in Dave. It was great fun last year.

I'll ask the CO for leave of absence. I look after two of my boys whike the my wife takes my eldest to Karate. Probably can't join you till the afternoon. WW1 isn't my area of interest but would be noce to meet you all.

David

Club opens at 13.00 David so we'll be there for a while !

"He is wise who watches"

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

If it's WGF would the Wife and I be able to borrow aircraft on the day please? only got WGS in my collection as we play WGF but only when we have the chance to

All will be sůpplied Barney, no worries on that front !

"He is wise who watches"

Chocks away!

Sounds like you are in for a good time then chaps.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Well my wife has given me a flying pass for that day. Grand dad will be down to help with the kids.

Thanks for the invite.
    What are the public transport links like around those parts on a Sunday?
    I'm interested in coming, but it's a bit too far to walk, so I'm at the mercy of buses and trains.

I'm sure if you can get to Tun Wells on a train or bus one of us will be able to get you the rest of the way Steve.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I'm sure if you can get to Tun Wells on a train or bus one of us will be able to get you the rest of the way Steve.
    Absolutely Depends on where you are coming from Steve, and how, but if you can get to High Brooms station or Tunbridge Wells I can pick you up. Bus-wise, anything that gets you to Southborough is close enough

PM me with travel details when you know

Looking just at trains to Tunbridge Wells, it cuts the journey down to one and a half hours. I don't like having to rely on buses I don't know on Sundays.
    I'm coming from Gravesend. So it's doable if someone nice will get me the last few miles, there & back.
    North-South travel in Kent is a right pain.
    Last edited by Foz; 09-21-2015 at 02:06.

There you go Steve a local volunteer already !

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Foz View Post
    Looking just at trains to Tunbridge Wells, it cuts the journey down to one and a half hours. I don't like having to rely on buses I don't know on Sundays.
    I'm coming from Gravesend. So it's doable if someone nice will get me the last few miles, there & back.
    North-South travel in Kent is a right pain.
    Steve,

Looks like the options are either Gravesend - Waterloo East - High Brooms, or Gravesend - Hither Green - Orpington - High Brooms (as you say, North - South travel in Kent is pants). Suggest arriving by c12.30, and I'll pick you up at the station.

Brian

Folks, looks like we won't be getting the Giants in time - so either another in our long line of Zeppelin missions, or a Gotha / Caproni raid.

Thought we were being a trifle optimistic !
    Do any of our signee's have a preference ?

"He is wise who watches"

Think this will shape up to be a game of Giants - just not the ones we were expecting !
    Or, maybe in the way were expecting...
    Last edited by flash; 09-30-2015 at 01:14.

"He is wise who watches"

I've put it in my calendar. Count me in.

Did someone say Caproni raid!

I'll bring some planes.

Ian

Verdammt!

I'm not able to attend; I would have loved to do so, but I just have too much real life going on right now.

And those Capronis look really enticing...........

Maybe some other time - I hope.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Sorry but I am also unable to come along. Just realised that October 18th 2015 is the same day as The One True Scale or TOTS event at the Midland Air Museum near Coventry

I hope that this event goes successfully for you. May I ask if we can look forward to an AAR and some photos on the Aerodrome please?

Shame that you can't make it Barnaby.

Here's what you could have flown.

Oh yes, there's a sixth Caproni hiding at the back.

Ian

And just to confirm - the decision has been made for a Caproni Raid - we shall probably fly formations similar to last year to enable as many opposition pilots as possible - re-spawns to dwindling capability aircraft - banter turned to 11 !
    Bring those Ca.3 & Ca.4's Ian - we need more matchwood !!
    Last edited by flash; 10-06-2015 at 01:06.

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    .... May I ask if we can look forward to an AAR and some photos on the Aerodrome please?
    Thanks Barney, sorry you can't be with us - and there will be pics if not an AAR as such if we remember our cameras and to take the blooming things !

For info of all - check out last years thread and my album for a taster
    Last edited by flash; 10-06-2015 at 01:04.

"He is wise who watches"

Target cards have been produced and will be available in the files section after the game
    Big thanks to SWMBO for her efforts creating these.

"He is wise who watches"

Thank you for the reminder on the other thread. I do have a rather bad memory.
    I'm assuming this is WWI only?
    What would be useful for me to pack?

This will be a WW1 outing Steve and you need only bring yourself (and some scoff if you want it) as we pretty much have it covered but if you have a favourite WW1 plane you want to play with or some WW2 to show off bring them along by all means - liaise with Brian as I believe he's picking you up from a station somewhere ?! I'm not local myself either !

"He is wise who watches"

Tomorrow's the day - looking forward to this - hope we can get to the targets !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks to all the chaps that came along to play - Ajay, Foz & Womble - thanks to the TWWS characters for joining in the mayhem and entertaining us - von Paulus, Ivor, John, Terry & Rodney -and big thanks to Brian and Mark for all the support and efforts to keep the game rolling along smoothly.
    As we said it was almost a mat too far but the Entente, ably piloted by Brian, achieved victory by destroying the tethered Zeppelin and rendering some damage to the grounded Hun bombers they passed on the way, though the cost was high as all the bombers were lost - the last falling at the moment of victory downed by yours truly.
    All our visitors scored victories and everyone left on a high vowing to return to face the Hun reprisal raid on Ashford and the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Unit in the new year when we hope to be fully equipped with Staaken & Gotha -
    Bring it on !!
    Pics and further comments will follow in due course
    Last edited by flash; 10-18-2015 at 12:11.

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for hosting a fun game, I'll be sure to try and get down for more

Glad you all had a great time chaps.
    I was busy with some totally different flying this weekend I'm afraid.
    Rob.

Target Cards used are here in the files They feature 2 types of parked Staaken, a pair of Gotha and a pair of Friedrichshafen for your bombing pleasure...!

Name:  SAM_6742.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  267.4 KB

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks for those, sir!

Womble's DVII is lovely, but that red/white/black DVII of yours looks a bit good too!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

What a lovely smorgasbord of planes to choose from, Ian! Spectacular...

And I second Tim's kudos on your 'imperial' Dr I - great colour choice!

Looks like good fun was had by all involved! Wish I lived in the UK to take advantage of the relative closeness or your varied events!

Always the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Thanks for those, sir! Womble's DVII is lovely, but that red/white/black DVII of yours looks a bit good too!
    All should benefit from SWMBO's efforts on my behalf
    And Ian's models really are something to behold.. no, not jealous at all !

"He is wise who watches"

Those targets came out great Dave, I thought they were official cards at first. The red, black and white D.VII with the Drooling Bulldog D.VII as a wingman brought down a load of those pesky bombers! The 2 planes worked really well together, not only pleasing on the eye, but also with their kills tally.

It was great to bring my plane collection and I'm glad you liked them. I don't know how many planes I have, almost too many, but I really enjoy making them. It's definitely a case of "just one more" and I never stop. I'm looking forward to the next game in the New Year to test out the new giants. I'll start thinking about which of my 15 camels will be defending the Kent skies!

Ian

I have also downloaded them thanks Dave.
    All credit to you.
    Rob.

I shall inform SWMBO - she will be pleased !
    I will let you know when as soon as we have the pesky crates in hand Ian

"He is wise who watches"

I have posted some more 'bomber' target cards - this time a HP 0/400 and Felixstowe, at sea & by the beach they are here in the files . Enjoy !

"He is wise who watches"

Thanks Dave.
    Rob.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-16-2015, 12:08
  2. South England Wings Over The South East - or - Donny's Little Brother !
    By flash in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-25-2014, 03:25
  3. Tragic air crash in south east Queensland
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-06-2012, 19:10
  4. Hello Chaps, New player from the south east
    By Dun Diddly D. in forum UK Wing
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-14-2012, 01:40
  5. South of England / South East get-together