Ares Games

Thread: Daylight Raid

Default Daylight Raid

Our three Dr.1 pilots, Manfred, Bruno, and Hans are heading toward the front lines, hunting....
    Approaching from the west are a pair of SPADs and a lone Camel, the SPADs to he left, the Camel to the right.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150906_123740.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	155.7 KB 
ID:	174934
    Their hasty plan is to attempt to keep the enemies split in two, keeping the sturdy SPADs to the left and doubling or tripling up on the lone Camel in hopes of quickly bringing it down and gaining the numerical advantage.
    Seeming to anticipate this strategy, the SPADS shift left while the Camel barrels ahead.
    Almost wingtip to wingtip the two SPADs hurtle straight for the triplanes, apparently looking for a head on pass

Name:	20150906_124953.jpg 
Size:	161.2 KB 
ID:	174967
    Seeing their opponents barreling heedlessly toward them, the triplanes split, Hans breaking right toward the Camel, still out of range, Manfred and Bruno going left, and increasing their spacing, hoping to get into a series of deflection shots. The SPAD pilots must have become too focused on their prey, or miscommunicated, as one crossed over the other seeming to touch only for an instant when one exploded in a ball of flame and plummeted downward. Unfortunately for Hans, both SPADS riddled his craft before they collided, causing him to plan a return to friendly airspace, nursing his wounded craft.

Name:	20150906_125912.jpg 
Size:	221.2 KB 
ID:	174968
    The odds seemingly evened, Manfred and Bruno kept trying to stay left and snap turn to the right to get a deflection shot or get on the tail of their opponents. Guns jammed and unjammed.

Name:	20150906_130442.jpg 
Size:	216.8 KB 
ID:	174969
    Bruno exchanged fire with the Camel while Manfred tried to concentrate on the remaining SPAD. Stachel was giving better than he got, but the fragile Triplane was beginning to suffer, and staying in the fight was increasingly risky. As the planes swirled in an attempt to get a clean shot Manfred found himself behind the Camel where a well-placed burst set the plan afire. Unbeknownst to him, it's engine was also hit, and the pilot attempted to head for friendly lines and had just about reached them when the fire must have reached the tank and the plane disappeared in a ball of flame.

Name:	20150906_134535.jpg 
Size:	143.6 KB 
ID:	174970
    Score one more for the Red Triplane. Risking it all, Bruno kept after the lone SPAD, using his maneuverability he delivered to it's pilot a second wound, after which they saw him slump forward at the controls and his plane go into a steep dive for the ground.
    It fell just beyond the enemy trench line, but must surely have been witnessed by German troops on the ground as they were fighting right over the trenches!!

Name:	20150906_140109.jpg 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	174971
    This time it MUST be confirmed!

Name:	large_the_blue_max_03_blu-ray_.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	174972
    The air cleared, the two remaining tripes headed back to base. So much seemed to depend on luck - if the SPADs had not collided, if Hans had not had immediately to leave, if, if , if ......yet a well prepared man seemed to improve his luck. Best get rested, get the plane patched up, and prepare for the next sortie.

Thumbs up

Some great action in that one!
    Bruno must surely get confirmation this time.

Great action
    Nice map you are playing over as well.

Nice job Bob !

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Default Great Action

You are moving up fast Stachel. I will have to keep my eye on you!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Willi View Post
    You are moving up fast Stachel. I will have to keep my eye on you!
    You can always give him a shiny new monoplane.... ��

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    You can always give him a shiny new monoplane.... ��
    Yes, then he'll come DOWN even faster!

Great AAR Bob; love the map!

A very interesting commentary using the personalities of known fictional characters.
    I look forward to the further exploits of this Jasta with the utmost anticipation Bob.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

The map is very impressive - how and where did you come by that one?

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

I will let My brother address that one - Willi?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedeby View Post
    The map is very impressive - how and where did you come by that one?

I have to admit that I utilized very a cooperative CAD co-worker who I enlisted . I explained the need, approximate size, scale and terrain objective and she came up with a google map - not of France or Germany, but northern McHenry County Illinois along the Kishwaukee River. The "Kish" as it is known, is one of the few Class A streams in Illinois, for all the environmentalists. Obviously rural farmland but a nice backdrop for the continuation of aerial conflict circa 1916-1918!

I have to admit that I utilized very a cooperative CAD co-worker who I enlisted . I explained the need, approximate size, scale and terrain objective and she came up with a google map - not of France or Germany, but northern McHenry County Illinois along the Kishwaukee River. The "Kish" as it is known, is one of the few Class A streams in Illinois, for all the environmentalists. Obviously rural farmland but a nice backdrop for the continuation of aerial conflict circa 1916-1918!
    So if we got a google earth image of central London, ..........

[QUOTE=Willi;366634]I have to admit that I utilized very a cooperative CAD co-worker who I enlisted . I explained the need, approximate size, scale and terrain objective and she came up with a google map - not of France or Germany, but northern McHenry County Illinois along the Kishwaukee River. The "Kish" as it is known, is one of the few Class A streams in Illinois, for all the environmentalists. Obviously rural farmland but a nice backdrop for the continuation of aerial conflict circa 1916-1918. I have to add that Kathleen is very gratified by the international attention received.

My apologies to those who may have wanted more description of the map used it terms of construction. As I noted previously the aerial photo is of section in northwestern McHenry Co., Illinois, USA. The photo was plotted in 3 sections of 42"x36" (including white boarder) with the photo dimensions of 36"x22". the 3 photos were trimmed and applied to two 48"x36" folding display boards. This gives a total surface of 72"x48" consisting of 66"x36" aerial photo with a black boarder. The map can then fold up into two 36"x24" pieces - nice for transport. Total cost to put this together was the cost of the display boards - $19US (plus the volunteer work of Kathleen Roberson, my CAD co-worker. Thank you so much Kathleen!).

It's a great looking playing surface. Have you considered sharing the files you used in its creation here?

I can surely attempt that. Perhaps by consulting with my Brother Bob (aka Bruno) and Kathleen I can put together such a file.

I can surely attempt that. Perhaps by consulting with my Brother Bob (aka Bruno) and Kathleen I can put together such a file.

I checked with my co-worker who plotted the 3 photo sections for me. They are PDFs of 33MB each. Each is plotted on 42 inch by 36 inch stock. I have not created a file on this site before so I don't know the limitations. Is it possible to download such large files to Aerodrome and would they then be usable?

Illinois? It looks like trenches on one of the maps. Did you hand draw those? Excellent stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Illinois? It looks like trenches on one of the maps. Did you hand draw those? Excellent stuff.
    Overlays on transparency material.......

Flying to Ohio from Oregon yesterday I noticed a few areas that would make perfect maps for WGF.
    Now, if I only knew where they were ...

Yes the mat/map is great and with the clear overlay of trenches makes it versatile option. The write up with pics from the flicks adds a nice touch too.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I checked with my co-worker who plotted the 3 photo sections for me. They are PDFs of 33MB each. Each is plotted on 42 inch by 36 inch stock. I have not created a file on this site before so I don't know the limitations. Is it possible to download such large files to Aerodrome and would they then be usable?
    I'm far from an expert hand at this, but I don't think so.

Some members have shared larger files through external file servers / clouds like Dropbox.

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    I'm far from an expert hand at this, but I don't think so.

Some members have shared larger files through external file servers / clouds like Dropbox.
    We shall have to give that a try.

Similar Missions

1. City Game Map for WW2 daylight bombing raids
    By Malibumax in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 08-09-2015, 09:16
  2. Daylight Gotha Raid
    By Carl_Brisgamer in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-26-2013, 12:58
  3. The Raid
    By Belis4rius in forum WGF: Mission Discussions