Ares Games

Thread: wacky wing wind

Default wacky wing wind

Has anyone attempted to put strong winds into the game? I guess it could be played as an unknown movement card after several rounds to blow you off course..... maybe this could be part of a game system that throws wrenches at all players. Wind gust, fuel issues, birds, rain etc.... played in the form of a card drawn from a deck based on a dice roll that tells you when to put the card into play....or does it sound like a big pain in the arse?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

In quite a unique solo (Solitaire) play idea which I had involving Ground Reference Manoeuvers on 3d scenery objects there was a wind component factored in. The goal here was to relax and have fun flying and these manoeuvers are based on real flying where they have to be performed for the US DoT FAA Commercial Pilots Licence. If lucky you may get to perform one at Private Pilots License but not for the Recreational Pilots License.

The wind component which was indicated by the shot-ruler could not be missed and distorted the manoeuvers accordingly and appropriately. Flying the Gloster Gladiator Mk I has never been such fun - real stick and rudder stuff ... Which I later needed during a game versus an opponent!

Gusts would be very hard to handle, and a steady wind flow would affect all planes pretty much equally, so could be ignored in game terms.
    I have tried to play using moving clouds (at the end of every 3-card turn, all clouds move one card length in a given direction). This had very little effect on a multi-plane dogfight, but is a real game changer when played in a bombing mission! Stooge about too long, and a cloud may obscure the target; or, if it is already obscured, the bombers need to hang about until it is in the clear.

Thinking about it now, a strong wind, blowing all aircraft a given distance at the end of each turn, could also mess-up bombing runs!

I put together a random event list to use when an explosion card is drawn.(in the files) One event is a wind gust changing your planned move.

A steady breeze/wind would be a wash but every plane has it's bumps individually, not at the same precise moment. Hmmmm, time to make up another random list for gusty weather.

Anything stronger than a mild breeze and your Zeppelin 'aint getting home! (Or to the target if it's blowing the other way).
    See you on the Dark Side......

One of our earlier Solo Scenarios used moving storm clouds and a Thunder storm, which was pretty good fun, but I would not want to overuse it. The fun could soon pall.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Troy
    Sorties Flown

I have already seen wind rules in the House Rules section. You choose a table side the wind is blowing from and adjust all movement cards by the width of a range ruler. The originating member escapes my memory at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Horse4261 View Post
    I have already seen wind rules in the House Rules section. You choose a table side the wind is blowing from and adjust all movement cards by the width of a range ruler. The originating member escapes my memory at the moment.
    I really liked these wind rules. The effect on the game was just enough, but not overbearing. It was easy to do as well. I recommend them!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    Thinking about it now, a strong wind, blowing all aircraft a given distance at the end of each turn, could also mess-up bombing runs!
    This.

I've used something similar in solo games... the prevailing winds push all planes a certain distance (range stick is an easy one, but could be less) every 6 cards. It may be a complicating factor during bombing and recon missions, and also may determine if a stricken plane and pilot come down in NML, behind enemy lines, or within the safety of their own. Not really an issue in pick-up games, but potentially critical in campaigns.

If one wanted to get really crazy, they could require the expenditure of more fuel to fly against the prevailing winds, but I don't typically include fuel consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Teaticket View Post
    I put together a random event list to use when an explosion card is drawn.(in the files) One event is a wind gust changing your planned move.
    I've had the pleasure of using Peter's BOOM card list at HAVOC. Sometimes you luck out, other times it's quite spectacular!

it was established that the germans had a distinct advantage in that the west to east winds regularly cause air battles to drift over german lines into german occupied territories.

Quote Originally Posted by spookiedfx View Post
    Has anyone attempted to put strong winds into the game? ....Wind gust, fuel issues, birds, rain etc........or does it sound like a big pain in the arse?
    Yes
    and.. Yes !
    But if that's your thing then go for it !

Sapiens qui vigilat "He is wise who watches"

Similar Missions

1. Wacky Wings of War
    By spookiedfx in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 02-07-2021, 10:00
  2. wacky wings 2
    By spookiedfx in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2015, 15:16
  3. The Wind Rises
    By Baldrick62 in forum Officer's Club