Ares Games

Thread: DVD to avoid

Default DVD to avoid

Combat Aircraft 1900 - 1945. Re-released in stores here in Oz in time for fathers day and not cheap either. Full of old grainy newsreel footage with sound overs. Planes do not match commentaries, heavy emphasis on US aircraft, full of historical inaccuracies too. Keeps referring to the threat of the destroyer Tirpitz which amused me as well. I think the Royal Mint must have a hand in this one somewhere

I got a copy from the local library. Free thank goodness!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Gary thank you for the heads up on this terrible turkey!

I am wondering if Royal Mint had a hand in this diatribe too Will wait until somebody posts it on Youtube before daring to look any further into this one!!!

Thumbs up

Thanks for the Heads Up Gary!
    There are far too many offerings like this that purport to be Historical efforts but are much lacking in accuracy.

Again another example of not knowing what they are talking about. On the anniversary of the sinking of the USS Indianapolis a reported called her a battleship. She was a heavy cruiser (CA). This was mentioned in another thread a few months back.

Thanks for the heads-up Gary - these slip-shod "documentaries" are really off-putting (I cringe when watching some of the WWII programmes where the soundtrack talks about one tank when a totally different one is shown on screen, for instance)

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

This runs along the lines of several dumbo-bolloxes in the media recently who take a photo - quite a spectacular one in some cases: Only to go and ruin their efforts by ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hawker Stinker.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	228.1 KB 
ID:	174792

Great!
    Saving me money again.
    Thanks Gary.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thanks for the warning!

I often cringe at erroneous commentary on archive footage - glad to be able to avoid this lot.

Contrast with the American Heroes [Discovery] Channel series _Gunslingers_ -- they at least tried to get everything right (tho' it's difficult to get New Mexico to look like Oklahoma).

Tourist brochures for London refer to HMS Belfast as a battleship when it was only a light cruiser.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-05-2011, 17:03