Ares Games

Thread: Proxies?

Users Country Flag

Name
    Serge
    Sorties Flown

Default Proxies?

I tried to search for some info regarding this topic but didnt find anything, although I am certain it has probably come up many, many time before.

As a new player, I both have a desire to acquire certain planes which are no longer in production and find myself looking for alternatives that I can use to represent them on the playing table. I do have some stuff on order from Shapeways but curious what the general view was on this?

For example, one of the planes I am trying to find are some Bf-109s and when first looking for pieces, figured I could take a Dewoitine D.520 and repaint it to kind of look like one. Same thing goes for taking a Wildcat and repainting it to look like a Thunderbolt...or a Bristol Beaufighter to represent a Mosquito?

It would be great if Ares could pump out more models (even if my wallet couldnt handle it), but as someone that missed the boat early on, I'm trying to make do with what I do have.

Thoughts?

Also, I know there are a variety of 1/144 scale warbirds out there, but does anyone have a photo of both a 1/144 and 1/200 scale planes for size comparison?
    Last edited by Old Fashion; 09-03-2015 at 22:27.

If you are going to repaint aircraft Serge, why not buy the correct models from AIM and paint them.
    It would save a lot of messing about.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    If you are going to repaint aircraft Serge, why not buy the correct models from AIM and paint them.
    It would save a lot of messing about.
    Rob.
    +1

Well, if you already have a Det, you can paint it you want. Use the cards you want with all your planes. I don't have zero's..so I used whatever I had to be them. But I wouldn't buy an Ares plane to paint like something else, and would give a +1 to the AIM, or Noble Air 2000 models.

Have you got a contact for Noble Air 2000 Mischa?
    I just Googled it and got nothing.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

It's the Magister Militum range Rob - Noble are the US manufacturer, but they're the same models.

Right Dom.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Serge
    Sorties Flown

Thanks for the advice...those are some great suggestions and now really double thinking the repaints, other than making small changes to tell them apart on the table. What is the quality of these AIM resin pieces?, How do they compare with Shapeway prints?

Not to knock Shapeways in any way, because they fill a much needed gap in our world of models, and I purchase them myself, but given the choice AIM are by far the better simply because of the surface finish.
    Rob.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Wise words indeed there - the WWII game simply isn't for me (I was settled on big battles in 1/600 long before WGS came along) but if I was doing 1/200, AIM would certainly be my first port of call - the sculpting is more consistent than the metal alternatives, while the casting quality / finish is far superior to anything that an affordable 3D printer can produce. It really is a top notch range.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fashion View Post
    Thanks for the advice...those are some great suggestions and now really double thinking the repaints, other than making small changes to tell them apart on the table. What is the quality of these AIM resin pieces?, How do they compare with Shapeway prints?
    The AIM prints are much smoother than Shapeways WSF, and the prices are quite reasonable.

The "Kates" are 12mm (1/200) and nice looking models for only $5 each. They're more than detailed enough for table play... they certainly pass the eye test. AIM also sells appropriate decals for many of their models. Each "Kate" comes with a bomb and a torpedo, btw. http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/armamen.../resin09mm.htm

This particular B.E.2c was designed by colinwe and is a well-detailed little 1/144 (15mm) model for $10.25 each, but you can see the rough surface texture in the closeup. Additionally, the Shapeways models "drink" a lot of paint unless sealed really well. http://www.shapeways.com/shops/wow?sort=name

The pics are not taken at the same distance, but the 1/144 models are roughly 20% bigger than 1/200 models of the same aircraft (of which I have none, sorry!).

If you are looking for 1/200 Wildcats to repaint go here. https://store.spruebrothers.com/Sear...&Submit=Search Nice models plus decals and at 4 for $15 not a bad price.

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Users Country Flag

Name
    Serge
    Sorties Flown

I'm going to look around at some of these other options because I received my Shapeways order and was not happy with the models at all. I could see the only option to use them if the model one was looking for was nowhere to be found, and maybe the detail is better for WW! biplanes, but for WW2 warbirds, it is just not great.

I ddid pick up an extra FW-190 the other day and made a BF-109 proxy to use until the new ones are released. I have my maneuver deck from the Eagles of the Reich booster, so hopefully this will cut the mustard until they are out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download (2).jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	142.9 KB 
ID:	176313

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fashion View Post
    I'm going to look around at some of these other options because I received my Shapeways order and was not happy with the models at all.
    Check out Armaments in Miniature. You'll be much happier.