Ares Games

Thread: What's wrong with this picture?

Default What's wrong with this picture?

The cover of the jacket to hold the 50 pence piece issued by the Royal Mint no less, to celebrate the Battle of Britain. And the problem is......?

Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Well.... apart from it showing the wrong mark of Spitfire?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Supermarine Spitfire Mk IXs feature in the picture!

And wrong camo for BoB on them, of course.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Judging by the insignia located by the cockpit of each these Spitfire Mk IXs they are from the RCAF - not sure which Squadron.

Also The Spitfire furthest away is rather badly drawn and looks more like a Mk XIV than a Mk IX. Or is that just me seeing things?!

Well chaps, that's what happens when they don't run it past us first.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

It is RCAF Squadron No.416, active from November 18, 1941.

Well done chaps, give yourselves a banana!

Now, we must all write a stiff letter to the Times about this.

On the other hand, it could be a poster with 4 RAF Se.5a fighters, because it was RAF who saved Albion

Darn! Did they get that wrong. They might as well have used this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17196_800258423400473_5954469046119926701_n.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	174727

It is, at least, in close to the right colours, and the right markings. No. 1(RCAF) Squadron was flying Hurricanes, not Spitfires, though. If they wanted a Spitfire squadron, they could have used 92 Squadron. We even have a Wings of Glory plane, in the right markings:

Name:	Wright.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	174729
    P/O Allan Wright, WoW Deluxe Set

Or, another Hurricane that flew in the battle, 242 (Canadian) Squadron.

Name:	Hawk-Hurricane-MK.1-(Bader).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	174728
    S/L Douglas Bader, WoW Series Two

Not the iconic Spitfire, though, but the workhorse of the battle.

PS: Messed that up. Try this edit.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 09-03-2015 at 10:25. Reason: Messed up the original post
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Royal Mint commemoratives are often wrong.

The "Royal Navy" silver coin set I have includes a coin of the 1933 HMS Ark Royal, complete with a full colour data card depicting the 1980s HMS Ark Royal!

The "Army" set has a coin commemorating the Battle of El Alamein, 1942, showing British 6-pounder anti-tank guns being attacked by two Tiger tanks! Tigers didn't arrive in North Africa until 1943, and then only in Tunisia, and only 10 of them!

I have given up complaining to the Royal Mint; they just send back apologetic letters claiming that there was no way to know that they were wrong, and that the vast majority of purchasers wouldn't know, or care, one way or the other.

Now I just save up my spare cash for buying minis!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan-Sam View Post
    It is RCAF Squadron No.416, active from November 18, 1941.
    No. 416 Squadron RCAF was formed at RAF Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland in 1941 as a fighter squadron for service during the Second World War and was based at various RAF stations in Scotland, England and continental Europe. The squadron was disbanded in March 1946.
    So, wrong plane, wrong squadron, wrong paint job .... Do Ares have something to do with the Royal Mint covers ?!!

"He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    No. 416 Squadron RCAF was formed at RAF Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland in 1941 as a fighter squadron for service during the Second World War and was based at various RAF stations in Scotland, England and continental Europe. The squadron was disbanded in March 1946.
    So, wrong plane, wrong squadron, wrong paint job .... Do Ares have something to do with the Royal Mint covers ?!!
    Eewww! Note the heavy sarcasm.

Name:	sarcasm-life-time-humor-intellect-offensive-fun-demotivational-poster-1239867476.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	174731
    Mike

I am so observant never even took notice. Wife bought it for me so just said thank you , looked at coin not package

This is why serious collectors buy from the these guys

Name:	logo.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	174741

and their Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary Collection quite frankly pisses all over the Royal Mint!

https://www.iompost.com/stamps-coins...h-anniversary/

Name:	iompo_cpi690x300_bob.png 
Size:	395.6 KB 
ID:	174739

Name:	2015_ag95_bob_crown-in-box_800x600.jpg 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	174740

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Harsh but fair

Quote Originally Posted by FarEast View Post
    This is why serious collectors buy from the these guys

and their Battle of Britain 75th Anniversary Collection quite frankly pisses all over the Royal Mint!
    I'm with James on this one. This is where I go first for commemorative stamps/coins.

I think there is a poll on one of the forums here somewhere entitled "Is History Important?" I guess with this you would have to say not according to the Royal Mint. The way of the world. Dumb everything down and who cares so long as it raises a profit. I am not a rivet counter but totally with you guys on this one. It is just unforgivable really.

Hmmm... I was thinking that the original image was a squadron picture of a flight of 416 Squadron Spitfires, with two different marks of planes. But, I found this:

Magnoliabox.com Art - Patrolling Flight of 416 Squadron RCAF

Name:	416 Sqn RCAF Spitfires_lal262435.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	174742
    Titled: Patrolling flight of 416 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force, Spitfire Mark 9s (gouache on paper)
    Artist: Wilf Hardy

Who also did this:

Name:	Battle of Britain Art_lal453770.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	174743
    Titled: The Battle of Britain

I would think that they entered into a contract with the artist, or at least his copyright lawyer, to use the artwork. One wonders what the discussion was like. One wonders what the individual in charge of the Royal Mint project was looking for, and whether they paid any attention whatsoever to the artist's recommendations, or any of their history classes?
    Mike

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

It seriously makes one wonder why Royal Mint never used the second picture if the two are by the same artist and they have entered into an agreement with them ...

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    Hmmm... I was thinking that the original image was a squadron picture of a flight of 416 Squadron Spitfires, with two different marks of planes. But, I found this:

Magnoliabox.com Art - Patrolling Flight of 416 Squadron RCAF
    Titled: Patrolling flight of 416 Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force, Spitfire Mark 9s (gouache on paper)
    Artist: Wilf Hardy
    Some pretty nice stuff by this artist, with 427 on this site.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Judging by the insignia located by the cockpit of each these Spitfire Mk IXs they are from the RCAF - not sure which Squadron.

Also The Spitfire furthest away is rather badly drawn and looks more like a Mk XIV than a Mk IX. Or is that just me seeing things?!
    Yes Barney looks suspiciously like a maple leaf to me.
    All the above comments are correct! Wrong model Spit, Wrong Camo etc.

I think the people who put these things out need a technical advisor. A few months ago there was a tribute flight in Charleston SC. The news reported that WWII era planes would be doing the flyover. When they flew over I didn't see 1 WWII plane. They never seem to get things right.

I got it, I got it, the ten shilling note, is made out of metal? Attachment 174780

I'll have to dig through the collection of First Day Covers I inherited from my dad. I know there are definitely WWII and Battle of Britain ones.
    I have several hundred from the UK (including Isle of Man and the Channel Islands) and Canada, eh

Typical of advertisement GEEKS. Lack of research.

I've long since given up on the Royal Mint being historically accurate - but then I have never been tempted to buy any of their commemorative issues anyway

Similar Missions

1. Getting Plane Names Wrong
    By Ginarley in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 09-06-2015, 06:50
  2. I know it's the wrong scale but.....
    By Guntruck in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-05-2015, 09:53
  3. Is something wrong with the posts?
    By phililphall in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-09-2014, 13:07
  4. A Bit Of WRONG For Y'all...
    By csadn in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 01-19-2014, 07:46
  5. There is something wrong with this website.
    By Naharaht in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-23-2011, 00:20