Ares Games

Thread: OTT ED Mission 16 - Flashes Prelude to Arras - April 8th 1917

Default OTT ED Mission 16 - Flashes Prelude to Arras - April 8th 1917

Lt Ben Downe was rightly nervous - in spite of a recent good showing by the Bulldogs other squadrons had not fared nearly so well in the recent weeks - Albatrii were becoming common place and although they were not overly manoeuvrable they were solid and boasted twin Spandaus which was enough to give anybody a bad day. In order to bring newcomers on quickly, once they had had a short period of orientation, it was decided that the old hands amongst the Bulldogs would take a couple under their wing and take them on their first patrols over the lines. Ben had serious doubts that this was going to help but orders were orders and so it was that he led two newcomers over the lines this day. On his left was Chris Cross and on his right was Doug Graves, two brand new pilots not long from Blighty.
    Ben smiled ruefully as he mulled their names over in his head, Cross and Graves ... Now that can't be a good omen.
    He'd warned them both before takeoff "Stick to me like glue and if we bump into anything that looks like trouble then run like fun for the lines"
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6429.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	279.9 KB 
ID:	174653

Shortly after crossing the lines Downes' worst nightmare came true - high above them a huge formation of Albatrii appeared and as half a dozen of them made a move for them he turned his charges for home

Name:	SAM_6432.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	232.5 KB 
ID:	174654 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_6430.JPG 
Size:	196.7 KB 
ID:	174655

Downe was only halfway through his turn when the first bullets came crashing through his airframe from the lead Hun -

Name:	SAM_6433.JPG 
Size:	250.3 KB 
ID:	174656

The chap to his left didn't do much damage but the chap on his right had a better eye and the Nieuport staggered under the onslaught from his Spadaus

Name:	SAM_6438.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	297.5 KB 
ID:	174657

As Downe completed his turn the lead Hun and his accurate wingman dived behind him - the other chap must have been a little higher...Spandaus chattered once more, a dull woomf from the engine and a flash of fire and smoke signalled all was not well with the Nieuport

Name:	SAM_6439.JPG 
Size:	319.8 KB 
ID:	174658

As Ben Downes' Nieuport is consumed by flame and subsides toward the ground Pütz lets fly at Graves and damages his controls

Name:	SAM_6441.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	290.5 KB 
ID:	174659

Downes' tattered, flaming Nieuport falls away

Name:	SAM_6444.JPG 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	174660

Having slipped by the D.II's Graves gets a hot welcome from the closing D.III's - Strünklenberg's first rounds smashing into the Pup's rotary engine causing it to splutter and emit a thin white smoke

Name:	SAM_6445.JPG 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	174661

Graves misjudges his sharp right turn and collides with one of the onrushing D.III, in spite of the loud crack he heard he appears to be undamaged - Gustav Klaiber is not so lucky and a vibration from his lower right wing is slightly worrying..

Name:	SAM_6449.JPG 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	174662

Graves' luck runs out almost immediately as the next D.III opens fire - its devastating fire ripping through the Pup and sending it plunging toward the ground. Strünklenberg's claim will be ratified by the Oberleutnant on his tail

Name:	SAM_6450.JPG 
Size:	228.4 KB 
ID:	174663

Cross meantime adds to the chaos in front of him - his first long range shot ripping splinters and fabric from Klaiber's D.III as it deflects from the collision with the Pup.

Name:	SAM_6451.JPG 
Size:	286.7 KB 
ID:	174664
    (I missed a shot from Klaiber here but he had his hands full staying in the air ! It wouldn't have changed the outcome)

Cross sees his comrade fall and resolves to escape no matter what - as he charges through the German formation Strünklenberg makes an effort to claim a second with a snap shot but no serious damage is done.

Name:	SAM_6452.JPG 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	174665

Cross's luck holds as he scythes though the D.II's - the D.III's have all made reverses but all are too low and cannot get their noses up for a shot at him as he crosses their front

Name:	SAM_6453.JPG 
Size:	289.4 KB 
ID:	174666

As a dark cloud passes Cross breaks free and clear of the Huns - they won't catch him now and he dives for the lines anxiously glancing behind him

Name:	SAM_6455.JPG 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	174667

Butchers Tally:
    Left to Right:
    Ltn Gustav Klaiber RTB / 0 Kills 8 damage
    Obltn Paul Kunz (rear), RTB 0 Kills
    Ltn Konrad Strünklenberg RTB / 1 kill (Graves' Pup)
    Ltn Helmut Fichter (rear) RTB / 0 Kills
    Ltn Johann Raesh RTB / 1 Kill (Downe' N.17)
    Ltn Richard Pütz RTB / 0 Kills

Name:	SAM_6458.JPG 
Size:	265.0 KB 
ID:	174668

Left to right:
    2Lt Chris Cross (Green) RTB / 0 Kills

Lt Ben Downe SD FLM ET / 0 Kills
    Rolled: 9 -2FLM = 7 Bruised - Skip 1 Scenario
    E&E Rolled 9 -1BEL -1WIA -1FLM = 6 In hiding! - Skip 1D2 Scenarios - Rolled 1 = Skip 1 Scenario. Total Skips 2

2lt Doug Graves (Yellow) SD EXP ET / 0 Kills
    Rolled 6 - 3EXP = 3 Severely Injured - Skip 1D6 Scenarios. Rolled 6. E&E Rolled 2 -1WIA -1 BEL = 0 Captured! The war ended for this pilot...

Name:	SAM_6457.JPG 
Size:	276.6 KB 
ID:	174669

Well there it is - a near massacre but a tale worth telling !

I used my altitude rules, shot peg to peg as usual - I rolled for slight differences in altitude for all the aircraft and for which way the Brits turned in the first turn.
    The decision process for the Rookies was resolved with a D8:
    1-2: Obey orders and run for home
    3-4: "I didn't come all this way without having a shot at Jerry" Pilot will make a successful shot (ie causes damage) and then run !
    5-6: "I say, that's not sporting" Will run once he has sustained some damage !
    7-8: "Orders be damned I'm here to fight!"

-1 or +1 to the second pilots roll depending on outcome.
    Cross rolled 3 - squirt and run
    Graves rolled 8 (+1) - go for it !

I have played this without the Brits turning in the first turn and that makes for a whole different game which was not Johns intent !
    Enjoy it, embrace it and pray for zeroes !
    Last edited by flash; 09-02-2015 at 09:21.

"He is wise who watches"

That was brutal! It didn't even seem like the rookie rules affected the outcome. The Bulldogs definitely have their backs against the wall here. Very nice pictures of the albatrii flying in formation.

Thanks Shawn, it was all over bar the shouting at the end of the third turn, so I suppose you're right; if your chaps survive the turn they may have a chance. Graves was unlucky to get a boom card; Cross did well to get away - if he'd rolled higher than he did he might have been crazy brave and tried to fight on which would have ended him. At least Downe survived and will be back before the end.

"He is wise who watches"

Well that was brutal Dave - but at least Ben will make it back OK

Just hope that I get those "0" cards when I get to play this one, otherwise I fear things could go just as badly here

Not that different a game judging by the outcome!
    A damn good go at it, and brave using a Nieuport which I personally consider the worst possible deck to use for this scenario.
    But again, two pilots will return to fly again so a victory of sorts for the Bulldogs.

You hinted it might be a blood bath for the Bulldogs and it certainly was. Seems from what I have read that the scenario depicts the hammering a rookie patrol on either side could take. It looked to be a furball up there and you were lucky to have only 1 collision ( the most damage inflicted on the Huns !!)
    Lets see how the rest of the Squadron fare .

I'm learning to fly, but I ain't got wings
    Coming down is the hardest thing

Smile

Well that was a nasty encounter Dave!
    At least Mr Downe survived to fight another day & it could have been much "graver" for Mr Graves. At least he gets to sit out the war in reasonable comfort! Much better than being 6 ft under.

LOOP

That was brutal indeed!

You could almost hear the sound of the machineguns

Great AAR!

What a contrast to the action by Baz.
    I felt every bullet go home on those poor sods.
    Heaven help my pair of Lambs, and only two serviceable Spads left in the flight.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by johnbiggles View Post
    Not that different a game judging by the outcome!
    A damn good go at it, and brave using a Nieuport which I personally consider the worst possible deck to use for this scenario.
    But again, two pilots will return to fly again so a victory of sorts for the Bulldogs.
    Only have two Pups John & as the standard turns are the same it would have made no difference as all the shots were taken in turn one - I'm still not convinced by the D+ deck argument yet, I think the whole deck needs a revamp, I played it with one 90 left & one right in my subsequent game which seemed fairer. It will be interesting to see which way they go if they ever release an official version.

"He is wise who watches"

I was going to fly this one just for grins, but now that I am "officially in" I'd better start at the beginning.
    It will be a while before I catch up.

Great action, as usual, Dave.

Thanks Pete, if you want to be "officially in" you'd better PM me with your pilots so I can put them on the spreadsheet & we can discuss where to start - the beginning is over ambitious !

"He is wise who watches"

Some pics just to show the different start I played second time out - it didn't make too much difference to the result but you never know what card you'll pull out of the deck !

Name:	SAM_6472.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	252.0 KB 
ID:	175849
    A climb topped with a downward turn

Name:	SAM_6473.JPG 
Size:	231.2 KB 
ID:	175850
    keeping the turn going gets onto the next target

Name:	SAM_6475.JPG 
Size:	220.2 KB 
ID:	175851
    The next game turn starts with a continuation of the turn & another target

Name:	SAM_6541.JPG 
Size:	311.5 KB 
ID:	175853
    caused a bit more damage to the D.II's

Name:	SAM_6540.JPG 
Size:	312.3 KB 
ID:	175852
    Quite a bit more to the D.III's

Name:	SAM_6542.JPG 
Size:	257.1 KB 
ID:	175854
    My pilot was extremely lucky and just got away with it; one of the others got home, the other one was forced down with engine damage in NML.

"He is wise who watches"

Another jolly good show Dave.
    Getting behind your enemy always pays dividends don't it.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Nasty. At least only one is out of action for good. Would have missed Ben so a good thing he'll be back.

This scenario is brutal, John, you are a sick man!

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2016, 17:09
  2. BRF OTT ED Mission 16-Prelude to Arras-April 8th 1917
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 03:37
  3. AAR OTT ED Mission 16----Prelude to Arras, April 1917----gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-28-2015, 21:49
  4. AAR OTTED Mission 15 - Flashes Hun in the Sun - March 31st 1917