Ares Games

Thread: OTT ED Mission 16----Prelude to Arras, April 1917----gully_raker

Post OTT ED Mission 16----Prelude to Arras, April 1917----gully_raker

Preamble:

Captain Boniface "Bon" King M.C. limped across the 'drome from his hut to C Flights office breathing in the bracing French Spring air.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WW1 Capt Bon King.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	174599

It felt so good to be back with the Flight after the drama of being shot down over German territory then being rescued by French partisans & nursed back to health by the lovely Yvette in a French field hospital after he had been spirited to safety by the partisans.
    Another 2 weeks according to the Squadron M.O. & he would be ready to resume flying duties.
    He was still humbled by the way the Flight members welcomed him back & the incredible Knees Up that followed that night.
    The newly promoted Captain Frederick Kyte from A Flight had enlivened things even more when he arrived carrying 4 bottles of Sapphire Blue Gin. A new drink had been invented, a mix of Champers & Gin! He wasn't sure about the taste but the results were spectacular!

As he seated himself at his desk he thought what a great job 2nd Lt. Tiny Large had done in his absence & the two important missions the Flight had successfully completed.
    He now had some decisions to make as GHQ was calling for a maximum effort as the new Arras Offensive was warming up.
    He opened the folders with the records of the two new replacement pilots who had arrived just days after his return. He still keenly felt the loss of the ebullient Scot "Mac" McCaverty but at least Mac was a POW & should survive this crazy War.
    Bon thought back to the arrival of the two pilots who were accompanied by a new AM Rigger for the Flight. They had arrived in a Sunbeam Staff car & were in full voice of some popular song as they approached the gates to the Aerodrome.

Name:	WW1 Sunbeam staff car & pilots.jpg 
Size:	14.3 KB 
ID:	174600

Bon opened the folder for 2nd Lt Frederick Fish & studied his photo.

Name:	WW1 2nd Lt Fish.jpg 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	174601

Fish worried him somewhat with his Gung Ho attitude. All "Jolly good Sir", "Can't wait to get at the bally old Hun!" & "Need to bag an Albatross jolly quick,eh!" etc, etc. Still he had performed well at flying school but had only 16 hours flying, mostly on Avro 504's but had 4 on Pups & 2 on Spad VII's which he would be flying here. He had been a Cricket Blue at Harrow & distinguished himself in the annual match against Eton. Bon wondered just how that would help him when he came up against the experienced pilots of the Eagles Jasta.

The other pilot was altogether different.

Name:	WW1 Sgt Stone.jpg 
Size:	141.9 KB 
ID:	174602

Older than Fish by 2 years Simon Short who was the first Sargent Pilot to join the Flight had an interesting background.
    His father ran a successful engine tuning business at the Brooklands Racing Circuit which also housed a number of Aircraft factories. He had learnt mechanicing from his father who had also paid for him to take some flying lessons which had resulted in him being accepted into the RFC. He had graduated from the old MF Shorthorn to Avro's, Pup's & had actually more hours on Spads than Fish. He seemed a very steady type & took things seriously. He reminded Bon of his old acquaintance Jimmy McCudden who was now a celebrated Ace!

C Flight had been tasked to accompany a flight of RE 8 recon aircraft tomorrow as well as performing the usual Dawn Long Reconnaissance.
    Bon decided to detail the experienced Anthony March to lead the group to support the RE's with Algy Smyth-Browne & Mick O'Leary whilst Tiny Large would take the two Rookie pilots on the Dawn Patrol. Tiny had already taken them on a shakedown flight around their area & a look along the front lines. He also had them doing Circuit & Bumps in their Spads to accustom them to their aircraft.
    Tiny called his two pilots to a briefing & told them of their first combat mission. "Spiffing!" exclaimed Fish "cant wait Sir!"
    "Now listen carefully you chaps!" said Tiny. "This is no flight over the park". "We are likely to come across a patrol of the Eagle Jasta Huns & they are all experienced pilots". "We have found the best way to survive if outnumbered is to fly straight at them & try to split up their formation then when you have passed through do your reversal or turns & hot foot it for home taking any opportunity for a shot on the way"." Your Spad can outrun an Albatross but if you pull an Immlemann before you engage they will get on your tail & its Goodnight Nurse!" "Do you understand?" A chorus of "Yes Sir!" said they did.
    "Now one other thing! If for any reason I decide to abort the mission I will fire a Red flare & you will immediately turn & fly back to our 'drome!" "Rightho then see you at 0530 in the morning & be sure you get an early night"

As the false dawn lightened the Eastern sky Tiny Large in his Sopwith Triplane let the two rookie pilots in their Spad's towards the Front Lines.
    Sgt Short was on his Port side whilst Lt. Fish was off to Starboard both slightly behind their leader.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 001.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 107.2 KB  ID: 174695" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

They were approaching the front when there was suddenly a terrific clang from the Clerget engine of the Triplane. "Damn!" exclaimed Tiny as the Sopwith lost power & oil pressure. He put the stricken aircraft into a shallow diving turn to his right as he had noticed a forward airfield just behind them.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 002.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 107.9 KB  ID: 174696" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As he lost height he fired off the Red flare to signal to abort the mission.

Name:	WW1 Triplane & flare.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	174697

To his amazement the two Spads continued to fly towards No Man's Land. He fired another Red flare in case they had somehow missed seeing the first.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 003.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 95.2 KB  ID: 174698" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

What he had failed to see that when the first flare went up Lt Fish had turned to look over at Sgt Short & signalled to continue ahead. When Short had shook his head Fish pointed to his rank pips & again signalled ahead. Simon Short was perplexed. Fish was pulling rank! Should he ignore a direct order or follow his Flight leaders signal to abort. Not wanting to be thought a coward he reluctantly continued towards the front lines.

Tiny Large was horrified to see the Spads continue to head towards No Man's Land as he guided his Sopwith to a safe landing. "What were they thinking the stupid idiots! Did they not realise their danger without an experienced pilot to guide them"

Meanwhile over on the German side of the lines Oblt. Harry Von Bukard in his Albatross D.III led a Kette of 3 more Albatross towards the Lines. High Command had alerted his Jasta of increased British activity & ordered him to attack any Allied Aircraft crossing over into German Territory. Harry was particularly pleased as his old friend Wilhelm Schuster had finally returned to duty & was flying the black fuselaged D.III whilst Kurt Walz was in his Edelweiss marked plane & Wilhelm Ulmer in the one with the Red dragon painted on the sides.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 004.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 117.3 KB  ID: 174699" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Looking ahead he noticed two British Spad VII's at a lower altitude just approaching No Man's Land.
    Signalling to his fellow pilots he put his aircraft into a shallow dive to intercept the oncoming enemy aircraft.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 005.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 121.2 KB  ID: 174700" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Fish & Short soon saw their danger & despite his previous bravado Fish panicked & commenced a turn back to his own territory.
    Simon Short however remembered Lt.Large's advice to meet the enemy head on & try to disrupt their formation.

He exchanged fire with the German leader whose experience showed as though Simon scored a hit Von Bukard's volley crippled the engine of the Spad.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 006.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 101.3 KB  ID: 174701" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

However Short's brave action did enable Frederick Fish to gain a valuable head start on the pursuing Huns.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 007.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 96.4 KB  ID: 174702" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

As the German aircraft completed their dives Simon Short narrowly missed Von Bukard's plane as it passed over him but unfortunately Von Bukard's wingman Wilhelm Ulmer was perfectly placed to put a close range burst into the side of Short's Spad. Simon had been able to get a snap shot at an Albatross that passed in front of him but he suddenly felt a hard blow to his left shoulder & realised to his dismay that he had been wounded by the German pilots bullets.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 008.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 110.1 KB  ID: 174704" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

With the damage his aircraft had suffered & with his wound making him faint he realised he had no choice but to try to land the stricken Spad & he searched for any flat spot near the German edge of No Man's Land.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 009.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 132.0 KB  ID: 174705" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Frederick Fish, his bravado forgotten opened his throttle and made full speed towards the safety of the British lines. As he glanced back to check on the pursuing Hun aircraft he realised he could not see Short's aircraft & he had a sudden attack of conscience. Had his action in ignoring Large's signal to abort the mission resulted in the loss of his Flight companion?

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 010.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 113.2 KB  ID: 174706" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

His mind was in a whirl, what had he done? Would he be able to make it back to safety? Would he be caught by the German aircraft & riddled with bullets?
    What if he did survive? What would his flight commander say & do? He would at least be in for a right Bollocking! What could he have been thinking? Bloody well to fixated on Glory that was the problem! Well he would just have to take it on the chin like a man but first he had to survive. He also realised that the brave action of Sgt Short who had followed Large's suggestion of charging the enemy had probably saved him by engaging the Huns & confusing their formation.
    He sincerely hoped that Simon would survive!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 011.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 113.3 KB  ID: 174707" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Meanwhile Simon Short had managed to land his Spad but its landing wheels had hit a shell hole & ground looped!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 012.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 120.9 KB  ID: 174708" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Before he came to realise he had survived the crash landing two burly German infantrymen had pulled him from the wrecked aircraft & made him a prisoner.

Name:	WW1 Sgt Short captured.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	174709

The German Kette now went flat out in an attempt to catch & deal with the remaining British Aircraft.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 013.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 116.2 KB  ID: 174710" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

However the superior speed of the Spad opened the distance between Fish & his perusers & he finally felt he had a chance to escape their clutches.

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 016.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 104.1 KB  ID: 174711" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The German pilots did not give up easily & continued to chase the British aircraft but it was looking like a lost cause!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 018.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 97.9 KB  ID: 174712" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Finally the German leader realised it was all in vain & he signalled his Kette to turn back to their home base leaving Lt. Fish to contemplate the welcome he would receive when he landed at the Bulldogs aerodrome. It was something he did not want to even think about!

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 019.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 101.0 KB  ID: 174713" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

The Butchers Bill:

2nd Lt. Frederick Fish
    RTB
    No Damage

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 025.JPG  Views: 38  Size: 44.9 KB  ID: 174714" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Sgt Simon Short
    Crash Landed ET/Wounded (attempted landing as per scenario rules --over 50% damage & wounded)
    9 damage points
    Rolled to Land--2xD6--Rolled 4+2=6 =Crash Landing.
    Rolled 5-1 wounded = 4--Rolled 1 = Skip 1 scenario
    Escaping Enemy Territory---Rolled 4 - 1 wound =3 Captured & Escaped
    Rolled 3 on D6 = 2 Skip 2 Scenarios
    Skip total 3 scenarios

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 020.JPG  Views: 37  Size: 112.0 KB  ID: 174715" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Oblt H Von Bukard
    RTB
    1 damage point

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 022.JPG  Views: 37  Size: 66.3 KB  ID: 174716" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn W Schuster
    RTB
    No Damage

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 024.JPG  Views: 37  Size: 53.1 KB  ID: 174717" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn K Walz
    RTB
    2 Damage points

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 021.JPG  Views: 37  Size: 84.4 KB  ID: 174718" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Ltn W Ulmer
    RTB/ 1 probable Sgt Stone (awaiting confirmation)
    No damage

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 023.JPG  Views: 37  Size: 65.1 KB  ID: 174719" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

Thoughts & Observations

Well that actually went better than I thought it would!
    I decided one Pilot would turn away & one would attack which fit the "Twist" I inserted with having the rookies continue the mission after Tiny Large shot the flare to abort after he suffered engine failure.

The Albatross could have got closer to Fish except due to his proximity to the edge of the short playing surface I had to intervene to stop 2 of the Albatross actually flying off the mat edge. (see pic below!)

Name:	<acronym title=AAR Arras 014.JPG  Views: 37  Size: 101.3 KB  ID: 174720" class="thumbnail" style="float:CONFIG" />

All in all a great scenario to play (Thanks John!)
    I think that results in a partial Entente Victory.

I will now leave it to Dave (flash) to write the aftermath of Mr Fish's interview with Capt King & Tiny Large!
    Last edited by gully_raker; 09-04-2015 at 03:05.

Well!
    Baz; great story, bloody good show etc.
    I don't normally read AARs until I have flown my own, but I am glad to see the Bulldogs kick off with a victory.
    I am also glad to see it is possible for us to win.

Well it's clear the Spad VII is the ideal plane to run away in ! Mr Fish will certainly be carpeted by the C.O. once he gets back but a slippery Fish may have a story to get away with it !
    Herr Ulmer is credited with the kill of Sgt Shorts Spad - it went down and crashed after all - so he earns his Iron Cross 2nd class for this action.

"He is wise who watches"

LOOP

A very well told story indeed!

And as Flash said. The SPAD VII is the perfect plane to run away in.
    Might have been another story if the Bulldogs had flown N17:s

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Well it's clear the Spad VII is the ideal plane to run away in ! Mr Fish will certainly be carpeted by the C.O. once he gets back but a slippery Fish may have a story to get away with it !
    Herr Ulmer is credited with the kill of Sgt Shorts Spad - it went down and crashed after all - so he earns his Iron Cross 2nd class for this action.
    Thanks for that flash!
    I will look forward to seeing the confrontation with Capt King!

Spiffing show Baz. I was enthralled by the story line as it unfolded.
    I will have to be on my toes when my Flight takers out those two new chaps ascribed to it.
    Kyte.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Great show there! I thought the twist added to the story very nicely. Your rookies were written well, I was right there with them. Bravado for king and country, followed by "I'm going down...what was I thinking!"

Great story there Baz - bet that little outing has knocked at least some of the "gung-ho" out of 2nd Lt. Fish

Excellent, Barry!

i think you have definitely raised the bar (not that one! ) when it comes to fleshing out the story.
    Loved the pictures in the preamble and of the German troops dragging Short away.
    (Hmm is that a young Heinrich Himmler watching from behind ? or maybe that "Hilter" chap mentioned years later in the North Minehead bi-election )

Rep posted

P.S. when does the film version come out ? I'd like to add it to my still shrink-wrapped DVD collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Excellent, Barry!

(Hmm is that a young Heinrich Himmler watching from behind ? or maybe that "Hilter" chap mentioned years later in the North Minehead bi-election )
    Now you come to mention it Pete it does look a bit like him, but maybe people would like to make their own judgement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmGknvr_Pg

Rob.

Thanks for posting the link mein Flying Officier Keitel, er I mean Kyte.
    Now the "unwatched masses" can see what we're on about, eh?

Bad luck both the Tripehound's balky Clerget and the loss of Short to a POW camp! His was a short, but well-fought fight for a rookie.

A brilliant piece of storytelling, Barry, and a great standard set.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Stumptonian View Post
    Excellent, Barry!

i think you have definitely raised the bar (not that one! ) when it comes to fleshing out the story.
    Loved the pictures in the preamble and of the German troops dragging Short away.

Rep posted

P.S. when does the film version come out ? I'd like to add it to my still shrink-wrapped DVD collection.
    Many thanks for the kind words Pete!
    Yes I had noted the Himmler like chap lurking in the background.
    I really enjoyed writing that & the "twist" with Tiny Large's Tripe losing its engine opened up the story line nicely.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by fast.git View Post
    Bad luck both the Tripehound's balky Clerget and the loss of Short to a POW camp! His was a short, but well-fought fight for a rookie.

A brilliant piece of storytelling, Barry, and a great standard set.
    G'day Chris! Mate you did not check out the Butchers Bill close enough.
    Sgt Short actually got captured & then escaped! Although he is out of action for 3 scenarios.
    Still waiting for more info on both his escapades & Lt. Fish's "Bollocking"!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Now you come to mention it Pete it does look a bit like him, but maybe people would like to make their own judgement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmGknvr_Pg

Rob.
    Thanks Rob! Another Monty Python Classic.

Default Just for Baz

Simon Short had taken quite a rap on the head when he attempted to land his stricken Spad just behind the enemy trenches - it had all gone swimmingly until he touched down and caught his under cart in that shell hole and his world tumbled in a splintering mass of wood, wire and canvas.
    Before he'd managed to come to his senses he'd felt himself being bodily lifted from the tangled wreckage and frog marched toward a trench. In the bag. Damn.

Second Lieutenant Frederick fish waited nervously outside Uncles office. He'd seen that chap Tiny Large go in earlier with Captain King before he was summoned and as he approached the door had swung open as Large left. He looked away unable to meet the veteran pilots steady gaze and heard from within "Well it's just not bloody good enough Bon ..." before the door closed again muffling the rumbling tones.
    His mind whirled, he knew he was in trouble, what could he say to get out of it, a kernel of an idea formed as the door opened once more and Captain King beckoned him in. "Christ, this was like seeing the Head Master !" he thought.

Uncle started "I expect you know why you're here Fish"
    "I'm not entirely sure sir" responded Fish rather unconvincingly.
    "You didn't bloody obey orders man" barked Captain King
    "Quite" said Uncle in a quieter tone "What have you got to say for yourself "
    Fish looked to the floor "Well sir, I wanted to but Sergeant Short wouldn't turn back - I thought that maybe he'd missed the flares so I followed him and tried to get him to follow me back" There it was - the lie was out there - Short wasn't coming back, he was down in Hunland and nobody could say otherwise.
    Feeling more confident Fish lifted his eyes and fixed on a point just above Uncles head.
    "I see" responded Uncle, barely concealing his doubt.
    "You should've turned back man - he would have followed you" growled Captain King
    "He seemed determined to go on sir" said Fish planting the blame squarely on his colleague.
    "Very well" said Uncle resignedly "It sounds like you did your best, at least you got your kite back in one piece"
    "Don't let it happen again" Said Captain King, the warning heavy and obvious.

Fish walked back to his billet, the sweat on his brow and down his back chilling him, they'd had to take his word and he'd got away with it, and there was none who could say otherwise. He'd have to be more careful in the future, certainly, but he'd got away with it just like he had with those Huns. Shown them a clean pair of heels too. They knew their business, he'd have to be more careful with them too.

Simon Short understood nothing of what was said but was marched back to a first aid post behind the lines - he was guarded by a couple of soldiers but after a cursory examination they were left at the back of the main aid tent amongst other wounded men. After about an hour or so one of the soldiers slipped away and the other lounged against the tent pole paying him little attention. From outside, shouts and urgent loud voices permeated the canvas walls - clearly something was going on - stretchers bearing fresh wounded were soon being brought in and within moments his guard was called to assist the beleaguered staff.
    His head now cleared of its earlier funk Short realised his opportunity, quickly snatching a soft hat and greatcoat from neighbouring beds he rolled under the canvas wall of the tent, standing quickly and wrapping himself in the oversized coat he found he passed un-noticed in the commotion of the aid posts daily business.
    Minutes later he was free and clear making his way towards the front lines... and when he got back, officer or not, he'd have a word or to for that bloke Fish...

"He is wise who watches"

Shot a nice line there Dave.
    I guess that puts Fish firmly back on the hook!
    Rob.

So it turns out that Fish may be an officer (for now), but certainly isn't a gentleman! He reminds me of Leutnant Bruno Stachel

Quote Originally Posted by gully_raker View Post
    G'day Chris! Mate you did not check out the Butchers Bill close enough.
    Sgt Short actually got captured & then escaped! Although he is out of action for 3 scenarios.
    Still waiting for more info on both his escapades & Lt. Fish's "Bollocking"!
    Completely missed that...

Good news for the Bulldogs, though. Rather than simply adding by subtraction (as it seems to be the way in which Fish is going), they'll be able to add by addition with the return of Sgt. Short!

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    Shot a nice line there Dave.
    I guess that puts Fish firmly back on the hook!
    Rob.
    Thanks - I'll let Baz sort that little mess out when the time comes !

"He is wise who watches"

A fine mess it is, too. Seems as though Fish has gone and compounded one unfortunate decision with another bloody awful one.

Ah - Such is callow youth !

"He is wise who watches"

Thumbs up

Thats the least I could do Dave after that wonderful Aftermath you wrote.
    Wanted to give you Rep but I have to spread it around first!

It should be a very interesting event when Sgt Short returns to the fold.
    I just wonder how the Superiors will react?

Seems like the kind of chap to be known as "Slimey" in prep school and beyond!
    I hope he has time to grow out of it and swap funk for spunk.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Well written AAR and afterwards. Congratulations.

Halvo

great report Baz, and I really liked Lieutenant "slimey" Fish's so far successful attempt at saving his own skin and face! Hmm definitely want to hear what happens to him when the Sgt gets back. Oh well Baz, looks like another 3 reports before I get some answers.

Eagles 1: 0 Bulldogs and the Eagles lost! Verdammt Englanders.........

Well played Baz. Great pics and intro.
    See you on the Dark Side......

Nice one Baz. Fish must be related to Flashman by the sound of his slippery creativeness.

SPADs look like a good choice. I went with Pups and the Bulldogs didn't fare so well.

Similar Missions

1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-04-2016, 17:09
  2. BRF OTT ED Mission 16-Prelude to Arras-April 8th 1917
    By johnbiggles in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 03:37
  3. AAR AAR Early Doors Campaign No.4----Verdun 21st April 1916---gully_raker
    By gully_raker in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-29-2014, 16:39
  4. Prague Summer Con - Prelude mission