Ares Games

Thread: New Rookie

Default New Rookie

Hello,

I have never played the game, but after doing quite a bit of researching and reading I placed an order on the Ares Games kickstarter page for the 'rookie pack' just yesterday. I hope that was the right place to order. It says shipping won't be until October but I read that at least one person has received theirs already, so I'm hoping it will arrive sooner than that.

I've been an amateur historian of WWII for several years, but my knowledge of WWI is pretty limited in comparison. I'm hoping to learn a lot and I'm sure it will be as enjoyable as learning WWII history has been. For me there is something about the WWI planes that is just more fascinating than the WWII planes, so this is where I'm starting the game

I have a few questions, but my first one is this: is there a FAQ document somewhere about the game rules? I've read a PDF manual that I found online that comes with the duel packs and I understand the basics from that. I also found a "FAQ" on the Ares site but it appears to be more of an errata page for the instruction manual than actual questions & answers. I've searched quite a bit here and on BGG, have found some helpful threads, but it seems like there would be basic FAQ document for newbies like me to start with rather than reading through all the existing threads or asking the same basic questions again.

Thanks for any help, this looks like a fun game and fun community of players.

Hi Brian, welcome to the 'Drome, from Middlesex in the U.K.

I understand that the rules are available as a free download from the Ares site, so should be available to you, though have never sought them out personally (I have RAP box sets!). The duel pack abridged version of the rules is a good place to start. The Rules and Accessories Pack full rules book is better (hope you get it soon!).

In the meantime, ask away - we are well used to rules questions from new pilots here; indeed, a little less than 3 years ago I had never heard of this game, and I have been a forum member for less than 2 years myself! I came into this with almost no knowledge at all - Airfix kits, mostly - and have now learned so much it's leaking out like rotary engine oil!

This forum is, by all accounts, one of the friendliest and best on the web, and will cater to all your needs.

Dive in, and have fun!

Welcome, Brian.
    The Rookie set is a good choice. And Ask away. The rules are pretty self-explanatory, but when you don't get the explanation, it sometime takes more than a FAQ to sort out exactly what you need. Some-one on the Forum will help you out.

Check the Game Aids section for helpful guides, as well. There are turn summaries, bombing guides, charts and all manner of things there. I use them when introducing people to the game at Cons and Demos (My Thanks to Forum Members from my Feb Con might be worth a look: GottaCon 2015 - 27 Feb - 2 Mar).
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Your research has led you to a fine game and a finer forum. Welcome to the obsession

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Brian, welcome to the Aerodrome from the other side of The Pond. You will seriously enjoy what your research has lead you to - I have now been enjoying Wings of Glory for six months having arrived on the scene the same way

The Aerodrome is a welcoming enthusiastic community with a global reach. You will find many of the things you need here as a new player but if there is anything you need please feel free to ask

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Brian, from over here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

You're going to have a great time with the game, Devin! The Forum is a great place to bum around - enjoy yourself!

All the best,
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by diceslinger View Post
    Your research has led you to a fine game and a finer forum. Welcome to the obsession
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Welcome from Orrygun.

LOOP

Welcome to the game , Brian.
    If you can't find it here. You don't need it. But if you still want it, someone here will fix it.

P-G

Hi Brian - welcome to the 'drome from another Brian, here in the UK

Welcome to the Drome from Cape Cod. You made a good choice with the Rookie Pack. Also check out the Aerodrome store here for what's available.
    You are in for a great ride!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Brian.

welcome to the drome Brian!!!!! just ask away! theres always someone around here who can answer your question. i always say the only dumb question is the one left unasked.

Thanks everyone for the welcome. The most burning question I had was about some of the maneuver decks: why is there a hard right turn but no hard left? There had to be an explanation, and there is - I found it on the third page of this document. I love learning stuff like this. Thanks again!

[edit: typo]

On behalf of the Squadrons based in Dear old Blighty welcome to the Drome Brian.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Similar Missions

1. Rookie
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Over the Trenches
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-07-2013, 22:57
  2. National: Rookie
    By ploli in forum Italian Wing
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-11-2012, 03:27