Ares Games

Thread: New to The Triangle, new to the game

Users Country Flag

Name
    Serge
    Sorties Flown

Default New to The Triangle, new to the game

Hi fellow pilots!

I'm a long time gamer of other games, but recently discovered Wings of Glory by chance on someone's Youtube videos and was instantly hooked without ever playing it. I recently made the leap and purchased both the WW1 and WW2 versions and have been trying to increase my collection when opportunity arises. I am in the Raleigh area, and while I have not seen many stores carrying the game, I hope there is a community alive and well in the area.

I hope to pick through all these posts in the future and learn as much as I can from everyone's contributions, and help spread this wonderful game.

Welcome to the Drome from Cape Cod. I'm sure many will chime in from nearby, you should be in an area that is Wings active. Lots going on up in Williamsburg area, not sure how far away that is.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Serge
    Sorties Flown

Roughly about 3 hours away...That is actually pretty exciting for me since I have always wanted to visit there and lived much further.

I went to a local store today and when I asked about Wings of Glory, The guy looked at me and asked what that was, so I hope there is a hidden group of players that just dont frequent game stores that often. I went to another store and while they had some stock, it was so little that I, as a new player, have more than they do.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the Aerodrome Serge from across The Pond. You will find everything you need and plenty of good advice as a new Wings of Glory player. Or if there is anything you need please feel free to ask - in this enthusiastic and global community there's no such thing as a dumb question

Hi Serge, welcome from England!
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Welcome to the 'Drome, Serge, from Middlesex in the U.K.

Hope you manage to find local players - another new addition to the 'Drome is always welcome and deserving of support.

Hi Serge from UK North of England Squadron. Welcome to the 'Drome. Any questions don't be afraid to ask. If someone doesn't know they will know someone who does or where to look.

Happy flying and welcome to the madness........now where is the WingCo's aspidistra?

Neil
    See you on the Dark Side......

Welcome, Serge, from Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

What Youtube video drew you in?
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Hey Serge, welcome to the 'drome! I'm in Wilmington! Do you know about the Triangle Simulation Society? They're having a game day on Saturday 9/12 at a store called Game Theory in Raleigh, and I'll be running my "North Sea Stew" (WWI Wings of Glory) scenario there. Their convention, called Southern Front, will be Oct 16-18, and I'll be running my "Mission Accomplished" (also WWI WoG) scenario at the con. Hope to fly with you at one or both events!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Serge, from over here near Norwich in the United Kingdom.

Smile

G'day Serge & welcome to the 'drome on behalf of the pilots who fly in NSW down in Australia.

If you are finding it difficult to source Aircraft etc why not check out our own Aerodrome Store. There is a link up at the top of the Pages.
    Keith Upton who owns this site is in Colorado so you will easily be able to grab your minis with cheap postage.

Welcome to the 'Drome, Serge, from CT!

matt56's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies.
    Major

Users Country Flag

Name
    Matt
    Sorties Flown

Glad you found your way to the Forum, Serge! It's a great place to spend time and share ideas - have fun stumbling around it - I always do!

All the best,
    Matt

welcome to the drome Serge!!!!! im sure you will find this community, friendly, vibrant, and active!

Welcome, Serge, from sunny (until recently) Orrygun.
    I know what you mean about being hooked before you even tried it - I went down that same path.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Serge
    Sorties Flown

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome...looks like this is an awesome community.

Mike, I had seen a few review videos, mostly reviews or the game giving simple explanations of the rules, but it was primarily 2 videos by Wargamer Fritz that really made an impact on me and sold me on the game. One was a 42-minute battle report, and the other was titled, "Why I really enjoy Wings of Glory as a wargame", in which he goes over some great points about what makes this game so great from a game design aspect.

Bill, I hadn't heard of that group, but going to check it out tomorrow. I have been to Game Theory a few times, but haven't checked them for products... I do remember them having a lot of gaming space which was cool. I'll definitely try to stop on by, even if just to meet some other players.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Serge
    Sorties Flown

See a few guys from Ohio...wonder how I never saw any games the 6 years I lived in Cincinnati.

LOOP

Welcome to the drome, Serge

Check out the files-section. It's loaded with all kind of stuff!

P-G

Welcome to the 'drome Serge from sunny East Sussex in England
    Check out Sparty - he's in Raleigh too so may be up for a game and tell you who's who and what's what !
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/member.php?640-sparty
    Last edited by flash; 09-02-2015 at 11:49.

"He is wise who watches"

Hi Serge - welcome from the 'drome from here in the UK

Hi Serge. Welcome to the 'drome. I play the WW2 version of WoG at different cons in Virginia (Williamsburg Muster, Guns of August, and Marscon in Williamsburg, and Madicon in Harrisonburg). richard m schwab also runs games at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach -- imagine playing Wings of Glory in an airplane hangar amongst some of the planes in your game. I know none of these places are practical for casual pick up games, but I encourage you to join us at these big convention games. They are loads of fun!

Welcome to the Aerodrome, Serge. ENJOY!!!

Users Country Flag

Name
    Serge
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by ptownhiker View Post
    Hi Serge. Welcome to the 'drome. I play the WW2 version of WoG at different cons in Virginia (Williamsburg Muster, Guns of August, and Marscon in Williamsburg, and Madicon in Harrisonburg). richard m schwab also runs games at the Military Aviation Museum in Virginia Beach -- imagine playing Wings of Glory in an airplane hangar amongst some of the planes in your game. I know none of these places are practical for casual pick up games, but I encourage you to join us at these big convention games. They are loads of fun!
    I may have to drive up real soon...for some reason I never really checked out the drive eventhough I have wanted to see Colonial Williamsburg since I was in high school. What an awesome site to run events...I could see my son losing his mind in place like that. I actually had the privilege to fly inside this guy back when I lived in Miami...back then, it was a metallic color and had been made to look like a Japanese fighter for Wings over Miami events. Didn't actually fly it, but once we landed, I was allowed to taxi it back to the hangar... I think my brother (who is also a graphic artist) may have done the nose art for it.

I do hope I can get a few games in before heading off to conventions and working on some playmats to take to local games stores. I think the visuals of these game, plus the fact that there is no down time between turns will draw in many people at local stores. I worked for a wizards of the Coast retailer for 3-4 years and know how to create excitement for a game at the store level.

Name:  CJ-9.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  _BEL0491 Nanchang CJ-6A N25CJ right front landing l.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  72.0 KB

On behalf of the U.K. pilots over the pond, welcome to the Drome Serge.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Users Country Flag

Name
    Serge
    Sorties Flown

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome...so interesting to see pilots from all around the world. Makes me feel like calling on my friends outside of the US to start checking hobby stores for more planes and see if they can score some of those harder to find, out of production pieces.

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Welcome to the Aerodrome from W. Ky. Hope you find the experience everything you are looking for.

Serge

Welcome to the Aerodrome, from Virginia Beach. If you ever come this way we have two fun cons in Williamsburg and two air shows at the Military Aviation Museum here in Virginia Beach. The WW1 air show is October 3rd and 4th four weeks away. We will have a WW1 WOG air game Saturday plus a 10mm ground WW1 game. Sunday we will have another WOG game and a Aerodrome WW1 game. WW1 aircraft, WW1 reenactors, plus the areas R/C clubs WW1 show!

Rich

Users Country Flag

Name
    Serge
    Sorties Flown

That sounds like great fun Rich! going to see if I can coordinate with my wife that works in retail to see if we can all go up and take my 5 year old up as well. I grew up on Those Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines, and I'm trying to excite my son about flight like I was at his age...best I have gotten is Pixar's Planes

Even if I can just watch a few games, it would make my day... As a new player I have so many questions that I often feel apprehensive about posting them because you guys must have answered them 1000 times before, so it would be good to chat with some people first hand and try to get some answers about the game.

Thumbs up

Serge

It would be worth the trip! Here is a little inspiration. Also a link to the air show page.

Rich

http://www.militaryaviationmuseum.or...show_2015.html
    Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by Old Fashion View Post

Even if I can just watch a few games, it would make my day... As a new player I have so many questions that I often feel apprehensive about posting them because you guys must have answered them 1000 times before, so it would be good to chat with some people first hand and try to get some answers about the game.
    Don't worry about asking questions that you think might have already been answered. The Aerodrome crowd is very laid back. You can, however, use the search feature to look up keywords in your rules or tactics questions. Better than that, however, is to play the game at Biplanes and Triplanes.

Similar Missions

1. A 1915 Era Game, and More... at The Family Game Store
    By jbmacek in forum WGF: After Action Reports
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2015, 19:33
  2. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 10-23-2014, 12:53
  3. eBay Wings of Glory Game Mat Coast Board Game, last one.
    By Lt. S.Kafloc in forum Sale/Trade/Wanted Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-10-2014, 11:22
  4. Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-20-2014, 08:49
  5. Amazing 'In-Game' images from a Computer Flight Sim Game
    By usmc1855 in forum Officer's Club
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 08:39