Ares Games

Thread: A Very Different War

Default A Very Different War

Having grown up in this war as a child and watching many take off and not all return, I am always thankful for the brave few who support and fly in this war . . .

http://player.vimeo.com/video/48642618

Check out the memorial and other footage. We have the big jets water bombing my old neighborhood this week in north Idaho, Washington and Montana. Godspeed Ray and Carl!

Rode in this one with Ray in '66, gotta love Snoopy!

Memory retained

My playground in the '60's

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by clipper1801 View Post
    My playground in the '60's
    A very interesting thread here David - quick question about your playground in the '60's ...

Were any of those Grumman TBM Avengers later converted into firefighting aircraft - particularly the ones in the foreground with that distinctively elongated canopy please?

Looks like TBM-5s in the background with the shortened canopy compared with the TBM-3 which had the gun turret installation mounted at the rear of the canopy. I like my TBMs - I have three built in 1/72 Scale two of which are USN TBM-3s with one Grumman Avenger Mk II in Royal Navy FAA colours. Did have a TBF-1 Avenger in the same scale but this sadly succumbed to a house move back in 2009 and could not be repaired

They were a mixed group of whatever they could acquire. Many of the turrets and canopies were removed by my dad and his crew, we got to play in the turrets on the back parts heap. Neat fun! The height was when they brought in PBY4Y's and B-25's and A-26's!

A very impressive piece of film Dave.
    Thanks for posting it.
    I have seen fire fighting like this on the News but never in so much detail.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Fascinating stuff Dave, thanks for posting!

What a great piece of film, David. Thank you for posting the link and reminding us of these peaceful 'bombing missions'.

Great film Dave.
    Run for your life - there are stupid people everywhere!

Great video, David.
    And thanks for the reminder of those who serve in a different kind of home defense service.
    Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great stuff, all action and better than watching on the news.
    See you on the Dark Side......

wow! impressive! i didnt watch the video right away because once youve seen water bombers in action it kinda seems routine but ive never seen it from the vantage point of in the cockpit! intense! i see why they do what they do. can you imagine getting PAID to do that?!?!?? and the l..l, offspring ,l..l music really made the video!!!!! (wonders where the head banging emoticon is)

Quote Originally Posted by milcoll73 View Post
    and the l..l, offspring ,l..l music really made the video!!!!! (wonders where the head banging emoticon is)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headbang.gif 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.0 KB 
ID:	174671
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Great video. They really like to buzz the roads and towns when they drop in for a refill!

Having that as a playground must have been heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	headbang.gif 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.0 KB 
ID:	174671

Outstanding video. I had to share it with a friend of mine. I have a cousin who is retired from the forestry service and he told me about fighting fires. Another group of heros that need to be recognized for what they do.

Very interesting film thanks for posting it.