Ares Games
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Details of a Giant

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    I have seen red engines before ... But on a Vickers Vimy. So those I don't mind. As to the red struts as well it's the game-piece versus scale model debate coming back into this equation again.

So this aircraft is the Handley Page O/400? Would be mildly amusing to have in my mainline aircraft collection after working for so long with Bombardier Dash 8 Q400 Turboprops! The level of detailing seems IMHO to be better on this aircraft compared with the tyres & bomb bay / wing ladders featured on the Staaken. Maybe I'll be getting hold of an O/400 to display instead as a WGS full-time player with closet WGF interest. Especially when the get as spectacular as these two examples.

Tell you what I may also be able to offer - talking of my mainline aircraft collection: Quality paint detailing service for those without the time or resources yet would still prefer darker tyres and detailed bomb bays ... Experience - ten years of building and painting aircraft construction kits ... Severely discounted services open to Aerodrome Members!
    G'day Barney!
    From what I have read the Red engined HP is based on an RNAS Bomber.
    The RNAS were notable for their colour schemes. Just look at their Camels & the DH4 with the red rear fuselage.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Some just for fun photos...

Now that is a flying aircraft carrier!

Thanks for both sets of photos. I could not imagine well how gunners on Staaken works, but with figures it looks clear

Staaken looks nice. Ladder problem...

1. Remove.
    2. Shorten
    3. Repaint.
    4. Replace in correct position.
    5. Sorted.
    See you on the Dark Side......

I've got it shortened to two steps.

1. Complain about it on the forum.
    2. Forget about it once plastic hits the table.

Great looking models!

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by jbmacek View Post

OH, YES!!!!

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Thanks Keith for sharing the pictures of these giants. I chose the camo Staacken for my Kickstarter purchase. Can't wait to see it in October.

After reading all the comments so far in this section it is a wonder Ares puts as much detail in their models as they do. They could very easily give us a piece of plastic in the shape of a cross in whatever color they have handy and call it a Fokker Dr.I, P-40 Warhawk, Hawker Hurricane, or a plane. But no they decided to give us quality game pieces that look somewhat like the real thing. They also produce a large enough number that the people that want to can do whatever repaints they want. If the colors or a detail is not exactly the way a person wants, armament in miniatures and shapeways are two options for the person to get the historical coloring right by painting and detailing their own.

For me I have been highly satisfied with the product Ares puts out. My only complaint is a lack of products currently available and a lack of new products this year.

Back from a vacation and I have to say: thank you for those detailed pictures, Herr Oberst.

Patience is a virtue but your pictures shortened the waiting time.

I imagine how often I looked at my Flight of the Giant card based game box and thought: How cool would it be to play them as miniatures.
    Voilŕ le soleil d'Austerlitz!

Quote Originally Posted by Marechallannes View Post
    I imagine how often I looked at my Flight of the Giant card based game box and thought: How cool would it be to play them as miniatures.
    I looked at _FotG_ and thought "At some point, we start losing the meaning of 'miniature'...."

Personally for me even shorter:

1. Not bothered.

See you on the Dark Side......

Wow those pics really do give perspective, does anyone use a longer than standard shooting ruler? (forget what its called) I remember reading in an interview somewhere that originally it was meant to be 50% as long again, but due to box size reasons was limited.. I feel like this bombers really are going to need it.
    They will also really amplify the decision of wether you shoot at the base or the mini itself. I remember some discussions came up around this with the B17's, if its already been discussed can someone link me to that thread please?

The simple answer Evan is if you are in their firing arc and you can hit them, then they can hit you whichever system you use.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Officer Kyte View Post
    The simple answer Evan is if you are in their firing arc and you can hit them, then they can hit you whichever system you use.
    Rob.
    You hit that right on the head, WingCo

I had these in hand at Gencon. they are sweet. Can't wait for October! Just in time for my birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by LingSter View Post
    I had these in hand at Gencon. they are sweet. Can't wait for October! Just in time for my birthday!
    I read that, and was suddenly confronted by a memory of Jeremy Clarkson licking one of the cars in the _Top Gear_ studio....

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    I read that, and was suddenly confronted by a memory of Jeremy Clarkson licking one of the cars in the _Top Gear_ studio....
    Well, licking it beats another way of marking your territory.

Really, don't. Not on *my* miniatures.

That image has put me right off my G&T iced lolly Chris.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	G&T.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	105.5 KB 
ID:	175396

Kyte.

That image has put me right off my G&T iced lolly Chris.
    It certainly put James and Richard off wanting to so much as *look* at that car again, much less drive it....

LOOP

Just read on Ares "upcomming" that the Giants are planed to be released in November.

Wonder if that's for general release or Kickstarter or both ?!

Sapiens qui vigilat... "He is wise who watches"

Quote Originally Posted by LOOP View Post
    Just read on Ares "upcomming" that the Giants are planed to be released in November.
    that will make a nice birthday present to myself then

Some SoG games were available in Germany before the KS orders reached the backers.

So I would not be surprised if the Giants will be availabe in some Shops the same time the KS ones reaches us.

LOOP

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    I had the same thought.... Hope it isn't the kickstarter.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    Hi Dave! I believe that will be the general release. I understand October is still on schedule for the Kickstarter release.

Last I heard, Ares was expecting them to land in the US mid to late Oct. So we should be right on for the release, or just a touch after.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberst Hajj View Post
    Last I heard, Ares was expecting them to land in the US mid to late Oct. So we should be right on for the release, or just a touch after.
    Good news, this. Very cool.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Tim
    Sorties Flown

Staaken looks to be the nicer model of the two to me. I'd have thought the ladders would probably come off with a bit of gentle persuasion. Of they could be snipped off if you have sprue cutters. On the real thing they are so thin that I think the model would look fine without them or you could use some N gauge model railway etched signal laddering to add a closer to scale ladder in the correct place. Very brave men who armed those guns. Were they in the engine nacelle to keep an eye on the engine or primarily to act as gunners? They must have gone deaf at an early age if any of them survived. With the wheels, it's probably easier to paint in the whole wheel set grey and ask Dom nicely to do some suitable round blue disc decals for the outer wheels.

They are great pieces, too large and far too expensive for me but good on ARES for doing them. I'm keeping my funds back for the repeat of Series 3 but look forward to reading about how people get on with playing with these vast models.

It will be interesting to see with sterling rising agains the dollar and Euro if we get the models any cheaper in the Uk this time around. I'm sure US folks are aware but essentially the price they pay in USD we pay in pounds Sterling.

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Looks like of the two the Staaken seems to be the most popular giant - but I've decided that I am going to opt for the RNAS version of the Handley Page O/400 to display in my collection. It's the red engines that have won me over. I gather from (I think) the Ares Website that there will be a second version which they have listed as in RAF colours.

I too would like to see these giants in action - especially in groups. At the 2015 WMMS Event a WW1 / WGF game was played which featured 31 Gothas and I believe at the time this set a record. Looks like we will be in need of bigger gaming mats or those reprints we keep being promised!
    Last edited by Tonx; 09-18-2015 at 13:03. Reason: Typo!

Just got an email to say the giants have been delayed. Something to do with packaging. Yet to see series 8 here in Oz so this certainly looks like par for the course. I am lucky to have both giants in balsa

Here is the complete transcript of the E-mail.
    Rob.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

as October looms close, we are in need of adjusting our estimate on completing the project.
    Production of the planes was completed at the end of the July, but various small issues delayed the approvals on the cardboard components.
    From the day we completed files, to the moment we could give the final greenlight to print, about 6 weeks passed, and this amount is to be added to our latest ETA (estimated time of arrival).
    At this moment, our new estimate is that we will be able to ship product from factory aprproximately the end of October; this means we should most likely ship your rewards in late November to early December.
    In the meantime, if you are planning a visit to the Essen Spiel in early October, we welcome you to take a look at these beautiful models from close up, and say hello to our booth crew there, at our booth in Hall 3, E-100.
    We will keep you posted. Fly high!
    Roberto & The Ares Flight Crew

Thanks, Rob, I was just logging in to re-post that.

And I had just put into the Chessiecon programming schedule that I was going to do a teaching/gaming event at Chessiecon ( http:chessiecon.org ) involving the giants. Ah, well, I can still run the event using what I have. I was so loking forward t having the giants, though.

Thanks for the update Rob. Disappointing, but at least they are still coming.

Too bad. I submitted a game for Fall In hoping they would be in my hands by early November. I guess that means I better paint up the ones I got from Shapeways!

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you to hear they are delayed!

There is a funny story about this, but I'll save that until after they are delivered

I'm deeply depressed now.

So all my hopes are gone that the WoG Giants would be the first in time delivered KS project...

Holy cow, those are some big planes. I mean, THAT is a big plane! The Staaken is monstrous. As for the details, I don't mind too much with them. These minis are made to be part of the game, so the aesthetics of the model isnt that important, in my opinion. Of course, the more the detail level of the mini, the better! But it isnt a big problem for me, at least.

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    Thanks, Rob, I was just logging in to re-post that.

And I had just put into the Chessiecon programming schedule that I was going to do a teaching/gaming event at Chessiecon ( http:chessiecon.org ) involving the giants. Ah, well, I can still run the event using what I have. I was so loking forward t having the giants, though.
    Well you can order some balsa ones like mine from here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Built-1-1...-/300982468990 If you send the maker an email he might do a discount on more than one for you too.

Hmm... I wonder if anything else will ship sooner? I ordered a rookie pack at the end of August and am still waiting to play the game for the first time... not sure I can make it to November or December!

A shame the Giants are delayed - but compared to other production promises slipping back, this one is no great shakes.

Seems like they'll be a Christmas present, then.

Brian, my rookie pack arrived weeks ago. It might be worth asking ARES where yours is.

I don't remember and I don't have the info handy on my trip, what maneuver decks do these two use again and where those decks in the Flight of Giants boxes?

The Staaken is XA and HP XB. Yes they are in FoG. Keith.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    A shame the Giants are delayed - but compared to other production promises slipping back, this one is no great shakes.

Seems like they'll be a Christmas present, then.
    That's the positive spin we need! In time for the holidays will work for me...

<- mumbles quietly about "Christmas In July"...

Quote Originally Posted by csadn View Post
    <- mumbles quietly about "Christmas In July"...
    Very sorry to hear that Chris! Is there nothing they can do for you?
    Rob.

The Staaken is XA and HP XB. Yes they are in FoG. Keith.
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Missions

1. XD Deck details
    By guthroth in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-31-2015, 09:09
  2. Unofficial Plane Me 321 and He 111z techncal details
    By clipper1801 in forum WGS: Historical Discussions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2014, 07:37