Ares Games

Thread: Wacky Wings of War

Lightbulb Wacky Wings of War

WW1 is intriguing enough and to think what it must have been like for pilots in those days, true heroes. I have just started searching for resources for the game and the wacky side appeals to me, a snoopy card, a pterodactyl card and the chance to battle King Kong, this changes everything and anything is possible from here. I recently decided to add my own version of mini expansions as well. I did a bit of looking around for the first expansion and found an old news artical "Red Barron shoots down UFO" sooo...it consist of 2 ufo cards their movement is 2 times any card in any movement deck and their attack is 4 damage at 1/2 the ruler and 2 at over half ruler using the A deck. The UFO has 20 damage points and I call the game Encounter. For the second game I add a bit of a Hitchcock feel to the game by adding 2 murder of crow cards and one movement card. The crow cards are multi direction and the direction is random based on a dice roll (d6) 1 six sided die, there is only 1 long movement card. The crow cause 2 damage at 1/2 ruler length only using the A deck and can not be attacked. I call the expansion A Murder of Crow. Im currently working on another expansion called Cereal Flyers which will incorporate Barron Von Redberry and Sir Grapefellow (cereal box characters). So if anyone knows of other interesting items like these please share........enjoy

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Hello Kermit. You have not been a member for long and I don't remember typing you a welcome message ... So welcome to the Aerodrome from this side of The Pond.

Whacky? Creative more like ... Then whacky but I am liking this a lot. Though I actually play WGS full-time I have just unleashed a fully compatible Avro Vulcan upon the game - I know it is not World War 2 but the whole concept works and it bombs conventionally too!

If you look on the Aerodrome I think the King Kong scenario may have already been played. Or at least I remember talk about it being played a few months back. Also somebody had a plan to amalgamate WW1 / WGF with Call of Cthuhlu in a similarly inspired idea involving the latest chapter in the C of C legacy: WW1 aircraft attacking a gigantic monster although the price of the Miniature of the monster was three-figures $ on E-Bay!

Good luck with this venture - keep us informed as to how you are getting on. Oh ... Here is an Avro Vulcan picture BTW

Name:  3. Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560 flown by Mazzle.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  140.2 KB

Not sure what to say... but I'll watch with interest, that's for certain!

Hmmm.... New custom cards?

Possibilities...
    Mike
    "Flying is learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss" Douglas Adams
    "Wings of Glory won't skin your elbows and knees while practicing." OldGuy59

Default very cool

Quote Originally Posted by Aussietonka View Post
    Hello Kermit. You have not been a member for long and I don't remember typing you a welcome message ... So welcome to the Aerodrome from this side of The Pond.

Whacky? Creative more like ... Then whacky but I am liking this a lot. Though I actually play WGS full-time I have just unleashed a fully compatible Avro Vulcan upon the game - I know it is not World War 2 but the whole concept works and it bombs conventionally too!

If you look on the Aerodrome I think the King Kong scenario may have already been played. Or at least I remember talk about it being played a few months back. Also somebody had a plan to amalgamate WW1 / WGF with Call of Cthuhlu in a similarly inspired idea involving the latest chapter in the C of C legacy: WW1 aircraft attacking a gigantic monster although the price of the Miniature of the monster was three-figures $ on E-Bay!

Good luck with this venture - keep us informed as to how you are getting on. Oh ... Here is an Avro Vulcan picture BTW

Name:  3. Avro Vulcan B.2 XH560 flown by Mazzle.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  140.2 KB

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

I replied to your other Wacky Wings of War thread - I still think you are onto something with this series of interesting ideas.

Wings of Glory / War is a very versatile wargame which allows for the use of some creativity - to a greater degree than many other wargames do IMHO. I think my favourite idea has to be Snoopy! I have seen him in action you know

Name:  10. Yeah ... Dogfight!!!.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  144.2 KB

As to possibilities...

Name:  Fokker DrI_Redberry Card.png
Views: 923
Size:  657.0 KB

Name:  WWF_Camel_RFC_Grapefellow Card.png
Views: 906
Size:  620.7 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-30-2015 at 18:54.
    Mike

Default Thats awesome. ....how about **** dastardly?

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuy59 View Post
    As to possibilities...

Name:  Fokker DrI_Redberry Card.png
Views: 923
Size:  657.0 KB

Name:  WWF_Camel_RFC_Grapefellow Card.png
Views: 906
Size:  620.7 KB

You mean, this guy?
    Name:  ****_dastardly__s_flying_machine_by_rapscallionmonkey-d5jx98v.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  75.1 KB
    (source: rapscallionmonkey.deviantart.com - Díck Dastardly's Flying Machine

There is a card for this plane, somewhere...
    Mike

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Did Dastardly and Muttley ever stop that pidgeon ...

That would make an excellent fantasy scenario - only the pidgeon is going to be tiny!!!

Name:  Barrage2015 (81).jpg
Views: 882
Size:  194.7 KB

My take on a late-1918 Alternative Red Baron vs Snoopy

I have a handful of semi-damaged planes with conversion parts available, but I just haven't had time to start them.

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

That's just harsh Tim - poor Snoopy never gets the Red Baron as it is - giving him a D.VII is just plain mean....

Yeah, it was!

I shot Snoopy nine times, in exchange for just one shot in return, before a passing Gotha delivered the coup de grace to the kennel - what a cheek! Robbing me of my kill. I did all the hard work, then a Gotha pinched my reward.

A Gotha!

Who brings a Gotha to a "fly-whatever-you-want fight"?

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

In my Snoopy versus the Red Baron encounter back in May 2015 Snoopy was being flown by Maverick (Simon) and I was flying the Fokker DR.1 - there is a photo posted already.

Snoopy won the skirmish - this game was one of the most memorable that my FLGS would see before the plug was pulled on Gaming Nights (Wednesdays) the following month ...

Name:  16. Snoopy is in Simon's Collection.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  182.4 KB

Users Country Flag

Name
    Dom
    Sorties Flown

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    The kind of person who deserves every 5-gun Bristol F.2b that he runs into....
    [It's always best to carry one just in case....]

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I do!

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Alfred Hitchcock receives a mention in the OP: I am sure he wrote a WW1-era based story called 'Horror of The Heights' ... I think this may be one of his earlier and shorter stories as opposed to one of his more famous novels. As to what it is about exactly all I know is that WW1-era aviation is involved and it sounds like it is about some form of enemy encounter / attack. I remember seeing something on TV about this story when I was aged about 10.

Interesting

In my Snoopy versus the Red Baron encounter back in May 2015 Snoopy was being flown by Maverick (Simon) and I was flying the Fokker DR.1 - there is a photo posted already.

Snoopy won the skirmish - this game was one of the most memorable that my FLGS would see before the plug was pulled on Gaming Nights (Wednesdays) the following month ...

Name:  16. Snoopy is in Simon's Collection.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  182.4 KB
    Are you using WGS chits for damage in your WGF games, Barnaby? How does that work out? Or should I dig out my own WGF damage cards and WGS damage chits and compare?
    Mike

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

Are you using WGS chits for damage in your WGF games, Barnaby? How does that work out? Or should I dig out my own WGF damage cards and WGS damage chits and compare?
    Mike, For this game we were using WGS A Damage Tokens / Chits only to save time. When this game was played we had just finished a WGS Session and were running short of time ... In order to fit a WGF game in too we cut a corner and used these chits from WGS instead of the proper ones to represent damage. All symbols were disregarded as we were playing Basic Rules.

On the subject of wacky WoW, I'll be running a dragon hunt (similar John in Maryland's game) in September and at Origins

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Helmut View Post
    A Gotha!

Name:  SMILE_Wave_1.gif
Views: 816
Size:  703 Bytes

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

Alfred Hitchcock receives a mention in the OP: I am sure he wrote a WW1-era based story called 'Horror of The Heights' ...
    Not Hitchcock -- Arthur Conan Doyle.

I have a scenario (and short story, if I ever finish it) based on this....

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

That is very interesting Chris - Arthur Conan Doyle penning this story places it in the pioneering days of powered flight - WW1 in terms of era. I was definitely around 10 years old when I saw a TV programme which featured this short story as I remember where I was living at the time it was shown.

All I remember was that the aircraft shown in the TV programme was of WW1 vintage - single seat biplane with British markings on it. Anyway somebody or something attacks the plane in mid air but it survives and the pilot lives to tell the tale

I think this is a cool idea! Why not attack King Kong, a pterodactyl or Godzilla? Being creative and making a game fun is what games are for. For cereal flyers, maybe Captain Crunch could upgrade his boat for a plane, would Count Chocula fly a DR I? Coco Puffs cuckoo bird can fly. )
    Purists may disapprove, but what the heck! Keep making it wacky/crazy and have a laugh when you play!
    Last edited by Max Von Below; 08-31-2015 at 17:18.

If you're going to go fantasy, don't forget to include dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by zenlizard View Post
    If you're going to go fantasy, don't forget to include dragons.
    Someone has done an entire mod game for dragons, here: www.curufea.com - Dragons of War.

Other variant games are listed here, too: Board Game Geek.com - Best Fan-made Expansions.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 08-31-2015 at 18:17.
    Mike

Yes Ken the Cowman did Kong years ago.
    Rob.
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

I've been waiting for Clipper to turn out a "mini" of one of the predators from "The Horror of the Heights"....

Banned

Blog Entries
    Name
    [CLASSIFIED]
    Sorties Flown

This thread inspired me to google 'The Horror of The Heights' today - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle sure as hell had a vivid imagination and this short story was first published in 1913.

A predator attacks an aviator who soars to the height of 40,000 feet and into it's domain as he does so. Only two have managed to do this previously but both as the story begins are dead: One of whom was enthusiastically scribbling away in his diary as he passes 30,000 feet and thanks to these predators soon becomes toast ...

According to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle the main character in the story whose inspired by all this stuff jumps into his flying machine and off he tootles to a record 43,000 feet! Dodging three giant meteorites as he passes 40,000 feet which he begins to think could account for one of the two previous deaths that there has been. Then he gets to 43,000 feet and discovers that a predator far more terrifying than those three meteorites that just went by has dropped in to say hello to him

After quite an unpleasant tussle with this predator which has a beak and tentacles the aviator manages to escape and commence his long descent back to terra firma. His flying machine is intact and his trousers somehow are not brown but from the sound of the way the story ends he has no plans to return to such dizzy heights again. Possibly ever.

I once experienced something very similar to this ... On the day I drank a record breaking 24 pints of Caffrey's when on leave one day in 1996. It went down in history as The Ongar Bender as I was seeing an Essex girl at the time - although as this binge-drinking bender gathered momentum I began to see more than one Essex girl I can assure you

His flying machine is intact and his trousers somehow are not brown but from the sound of the way the story ends he has no plans to return to such dizzy heights again. Possibly ever.
    Oh, he goes back....

A very limited "Wings of Glory: Flight of the Intruder" standalone release (yes, licensed from Stephen Coonts's novels!) set in Nam could be cool, as long as it was kept very limited to the "tactical air war"--much as I love me some StratoPig, this would be a game about dodging MiGs and SAMs while going Downtown, precision strikes against probably-meaningless-but-sometimes-ya-get-lucky targets.
    Historical Consultant/Researcher, Wings and Sails lines - Unless stated otherwise, all comments are personal opinion only and NOT official Ares policy.
    Wings Checklists: WWI (down Navarre Nieuport, Ares Drachens) | WWII (complete)

Quote Originally Posted by spookiedfx View Post
    ... I did a bit of looking around for the first expansion and found an old news artical "Red Barron shoots down UFO" sooo...it consist of 2 ufo cards their movement is 2 times any card in any movement deck and their attack is 4 damage at 1/2 the ruler and 2 at over half ruler using the A deck. The UFO has 20 damage points and I call the game Encounter. ... So if anyone knows of other interesting items like these please share........enjoy
    Found this! Being that it was a vehicle built by Avro Canada, it has some historical appeal. But, being in 1:144th scale, it would work very well for WGF!

Brengun.cz - 1:144 Construction Kits - Avrocar

Name:  BRS144019-2.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  24.9 KB

For the curious: Wikipedia - Avro Canada - VZ-9 Avrocar

PS: This thing is 5.5 meters in diameter. So, in this scale it would be smaller than the wingspan of a Nieuport 16! It would be a challenge for me to build with my ten thumbs.
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 10-01-2015 at 08:37.
    Mike

Setarius's Avatar May you forever fly in blue skies
    Users Country Flag

Name
    Dale
    Sorties Flown

Excellent ideas for some interesting scenarios. Too bad I missed the original post on this.
    Thanks for the future ideas.

Some shots from Border Reiver 2015.
    Name:  Border Reiver 2015 013 (640x360).jpg
Views: 667
Size:  191.0 KB
    Snoopy & the Pup Patrol mix it with the Red Baron & the Angry Birds Squadron

Name:  Border Reiver 2015 006 (640x360).jpg
Views: 671
Size:  160.2 KB
    Snoopy squares off with Red Angry Bird
    See you on the Dark Side......

Now that's what I call wacky Squadron Leader. You after my job?
    Kyte..
    "Courage is the art of being the only one who knows you're scared to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Angiolillo View Post
    I know this is a little dated... but very cool. Thanks for sharing.

You welcome!

And feel free to update it with other rethemes you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Skafloc View Post
    Some shots from Border Reiver 2015.
    Name:  Border Reiver 2015 013 (640x360).jpg
Views: 667
Size:  191.0 KB
    Snoopy & the Pup Patrol mix it with the Red Baron & the Angry Birds Squadron

Name:  Border Reiver 2015 006 (640x360).jpg
Views: 671
Size:  160.2 KB
    Snoopy squares off with Red Angry Bird
    The se are gorgeous! Might I post them around, crediting you?

Quote Originally Posted by Dom S View Post
    I did, I flew it, and the Gotha is no more

Never Knowingly Undergunned !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    On the subject of wacky WoW, I'll be running a dragon hunt (similar John in Maryland's game) in September and at Origins
    Karl
    The Dragon hunt game went well; here's the AAR:
    http://www.wingsofwar.org/forums/sho...Ohio-24-OCT-15

Karl
    It is impossible for a man to begin to learn what he thinks he knows. -- Epictetus

I found an 'Avrocar' in Prague!

Thank you so much, Forum members, for sending me to Prague!
    Mike

I found an 'Avrocar' in Prague!

Thank you so much, Forum members, for sending me to Prague!

I still haven't got this done. But, plans...

Air Superiority version:
    Name:  Avrocar_WhatIf1.png
Views: 364
Size:  372.5 KB

Or the Land Element Support version:

Name:  Avrocar_WhatIf2a.png
Views: 366
Size:  153.2 KB
    Last edited by OldGuy59; 12-02-2020 at 17:03.
    Mike

The story 'The Horror of the Heights' by sir Arthur Conan Doyle is available as an audio reading on Youtube read by Greg Wagland.

And here's the Wiki article about "The Horror of the Heights" -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horror_of_the_Heights

I also have a Snoopy flying doghouse.

Jim

Does anyone have any rules for using these in WoG World War I? I know there is a card in the files section, but I haven't see any rules.

Name:  IMG_0636.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  125.1 KB

And, yes, these are Lego Pteranodons. Fairly inexpensive if you know where to find them.
    So how many books are in your personal library?

Yes it's a card made by Les Etroins Volants.

Attachment 243474

Here their rules:
    https://etronsvolants.pagesperso-ora...odiesptero.htm

If you click on "TRANSLATION in english (hum....)" under the title, you get this:
    https://etronsvolants.pagesperso-ora...eroenglish.htm

I just ordered two of the pteranodons that RJG173 posted. Got a decent deal on eBay. Thanks for the fun addition to this game. I can just see my fellow gamers when, as game master, I fly these out of a cloud at them!

Jim

Similar Missions

1. Newbie question - WWII Wings of Glory versus Wings of War
    By Gangrel in forum WGS: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-29-2014, 21:26
  2. Wings of Glory vs. Wings of War - rules differences?
    By Eris Lobo in forum WGS: Rules Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-06-2014, 23:55
  3. Wings of Glory vs Wings of War Question
    By 401~RCAF in forum WGF: General Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-24-2014, 17:59
  4. Svět deskových her - hraní Wings of Glory (Wings of War)
    By Ladinek in forum Czechoslovak Wing
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 02-04-2013, 11:51
  5. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2013, 12:53